//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Who here flips trikes?

--
    I bought a big red in July 250es paid less than $200 for it, cleaned the carb, wrapped the seat with vynle. Slimed the tires. Plastics were decent ran great only got $325 for it. I should have kept it, added a battery it would have kept my bad knee happy. Jim
    81 185s
    82 185s with 85 200s motor
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    81 suspended 185s (can't believe I came across 2)
    1982? 185s

--
    $325 for a 250es?! Too bad you wasn't in Michigan and still had it, I'd buy it for that price. I've paid $350 for 250es parts machines and was happy to get those prices lol. My ugly rider was $500, nothing really wrong with it, just messed up plastics, came with the wrong tank, and the seat was recovered poorly.

--
    I've walked away from several sellers who clearly hadn't worked on trikes and didn't actually know the cost of 'simple' repairs.

Three new tires alone will often kill a flip. Chain, sprockets, brakes, cables, and all the typically neglected stuff isn't worth replacing if planning to resale. Buying a truly great condition trike will actually save time and money very quickly, all others are parts machines or basic junk riders.

It's like a ton of ATCs passed through Antiques Roadshow and every Tom, Dick, & Harry is now an expert on the value of such rare machines.

I also think the previous advice of sticking to one type of model is beneficial. It makes accumulating, using, selling parts much simpler and economical

I've stopped buying anything other than parts machines. Can't even find a decent rider for a reasonable price anymore, they all need twice the asking price just to be dependable are ready to ride. Everything I have is 185-200 style hardtail, which means I've got enough parts to put at least a couple runners together. I take time here and there to clean and put away ready to use parts instead of just adding to a increasing pile of dirty junk. When I need a part, there's typically one ready to go. .
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    That's good advice, I've had similar experience with vehicles, it just needs a timing belt, it's like $80, but they fail to understand it's a 10 hour job and you're trusting them to tell you everything else that's wrong. Just picked up a Toyota van for $250 with a timing belt to help a friend out with a Chevy with a bad timing chain (interference engine). The Chevy is a nightmare job, while the Toyota is like a 2-3hr job. He will have something like $700 - $200 for his old car (for the tires), so like $500 for the whole repair and have a vehicle that's more suited for his needs and is in better shape rust wise (he hauls a lot of stuff for his job).

Anyone in Michigan looking for a 2005 Cavalier with a bad timing chain (2.2L EcoTec)? Bring your own tires though, my dad wants them for his trailer lol.

My family have gone a bit crazy on Toyota's, so we have stuck to the idea "buy parts vehicles of the same model" and it has paid off well when there were parts needed.

--

1983 Yamaha 125 tri-moto

I said I would only buy/flip/part out Honda's, But this jewel is keeping my up at nights.
    1983 Yamaha 125
    Needs a pull cord assembly.
    I notice there is not a lot of Yamaha parts on eBay or here, is there no interest or is there just no money to be made?
    Check her out.
    MrC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 24594.jpeg   24593.jpeg  

--
    It seems the Yamaha's are a bit hit and miss. There's not nearly as many as the Honda's, so less of them makes parts harder to find too. Good news is Yamaha seemed to use a lot of parts that worked across models, so a 175 recoil might work too. I've seen Yamaha 3 wheelers running and ride-able for $200 locally with bent axles (two for $400). I was going to jump on them, but they sold quick, besides that haven't really seen much of anything else for Yamaha for sale locally. Tri-Z 250 is about the only model and it's always very expensive like a 85-86 250r or 350x. I suspect there's a bit less interest in them, like less known models and such. I wouldn't mind trying one some day, seems like they would be a fun machine to do wheelies on since the engine is so far back.

--
    You mean resell them? Why the hell would you want to do that?

--
    Money, my friend, Money.

I am picking this one in the morning, and looking at 2 others, If Im lucky i may come home with all three.
    1-chain, 1 shaft and one I cant tell in the photo. all 3 are 200s

MrC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 24488.jpeg   24485.jpeg  

--
    It was a great trip, lookie what I did!
    And yes I have all 3 seats!

MrC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200101_120009.jpg   20200101_181221.jpg   20200101_181230.jpg   20200101_190457.jpg  

--
    The 84 200ES looks pretty good. Not sure why the stator needed to be pulled, but FYI, there is a drain plug with an oil filter screen, wouldn't hurt to check that and clean it since no point in putting in new oil but have junk in the screen yet. If I recall correctly, it's the ~17mm hex head cover at the bottom left of the engine, same style as the valve cover caps (it's the same part number for some machines).

Guessing you'll make 2 riders out of the 3, or are there major problems with any of them?

--
    There like kids, named 1,2 and 3 lol
    1 is the brighter red, it runs and drive, needs a tune up, battery and rebuild front forks I rode it already.
    2 is making a terrible noise when I try to start it, look for my "name that tune thread" I uploaded a video of the noise, it looks the best, but unsure at this point whats wrong.
    3 is just parts.
    MrC.

--
    Update,
    #1. Is waiting on new/used forks and a battery then she hit CL on Thursday night.
    #2. Sheered the keyway on the rotor, and the P.O. lost the springs holding the one way starter bearing, waiting on springs now. A battery and a detail I should have her on CL next week. May even offer up the matched pair?
    #3 . Has offered up some bolts and a usable plastic gas tanks and petcock. She has paid for herself already.

MrC.

--
    Always have to love the ugly parts machine to rob parts from =)

You keeping this thread as kind of a flip or log list of buys and sells?

6bt is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I like to buy and sell, but the money goes towards toys. I thought about selling them off, but I'd take the money and replace everything I just sold. LOL.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

--
    I was thinking about it PS2FIXER

I have just buttoned number 2 up tonight, so I will take some pictures tomorrow, number 1 hasn't sold yet, so I may offer them as a pair. we will see.
    Here is a sneak peak.

Bikes 1 and 2 pictures attached. not bad for 2 weeks work.

MrC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200109_171655.jpg   20200118_210731.jpg  

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //