//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Who here flips trikes?

--
    Well Bikes 1 and 2 are running great now and off to new homes.

Look what the cat dragged home today.

MrC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200202_153533.jpg   20200202_152032.jpg  
    Last edited by MrConcdid; 02-02-2020 at 09:50 PM.

--
    If I'm not mistaken, the rear rack on the 125M is aftermarket, maybe Hondaline.

Seems like you really do enjoy fixing these machines up. I'd have a hay day with all of them lol. It seems like I always drag home machines that are beyond worth repairing that sat outside for the last 20 years.

--
    I stumbled onto a free (zero cash outlay) 250es and 250sx. The ES had a broken engine case and the SX had a good engine but the rest was JUNK. I put the SX engine on the ES and decided to build a snow blade for the ES, thinking it would be a great selling point. My downfall is that locally we have had two 1" snows since I got the blade done, so I haven't really been out with it in deeper snow to put it through its paces. I was kind of hoping to run across an impulse buyer who would see me moving snow on the trike with $1000 burning a hole in his pocket. So far no luck, but I discovered I kind of like tinkering on the ES, so I am not as likely to sell, but if someone had $1000, I could be convinced...

--
    Hi Deerhauler, I am not your guy, Florida dosen't get much or any snow. lol, but they are out there just keep the ads up on the net.

I just picked up that trailer load of bikes today, I haven't decided what direction to go, most of them are parts bike, I am hoping to make at least 2 salable bikes out of the lot.
    the 200x has me thinking of building it up and keeping it. We will see, I am not much on long term expensive projects. I like to keep them moving.
    MrC.

--
    What do you do with your excess parts machines? I'd guess you part them out, throw the parts up on ebay, or maybe you just list the left over parts back on the market as a parts only machine? If you continue to get a lot of machines, use mainly parts from parts machines, in a few years you'd have one heck of a collection of parts, or in better terms a private junk yard. Junk yards typically have the bad habit of just letting machines sit out in the weather though.

The 200x is an interesting machine, it's the lightest sports machine, but it doesn't have the highest power to weight ratio, in fact if you ignore the 250sx, it's the lowest power to weight ratio for the fully suspended machines that are sport oriented. That's an interesting spec to compare machines and how fast they "feel" stock, might have to add that to my spec pages since it's just weight/power. Like the 200x is 282lb and 17.8hp so 282/17.8 = 15.8 lbs per hp, while the 350x is 12lbs per hp which is about 24% better. I can see why the 350x feels like it has so much power than the 200x lol.

Just for fun I ran a search on my specs database and for the machines I currently have in it, the 350x is the winner for power to weight ratio. Second best is the atc200x (86-87, then 83-85), then followed by the atc250sx and the atc250es behind that. Going the opposite direction, the worst power to weight ratio for the 3 wheelers is the 82-84 ATC70 which isn't really a surprise, it was designed for kids so performance wasn't the #1 goal. Of course I don't have every model in the database, far from it, currently sitting at 106 machines that just exist in it, but only 33 machines that have a weight and power spec logged. FYI a machine is defined as a year + model, so like the atc200x 83-87 is counted as 5 machines. It's a slow work in progress.

--
    That's a lot of info PS2FIXER, thanks for sharing, funny you picked up on the 200x, I Have mixed feelings about it, I am a flipper not a restorer or keeper, I have wanted a 200x but to be fair, I think it would cost more to save this one than buy a running one. So that leaves me with some other ideas and options.
    1. part it out
    2. sell it as a roller w/ lower end
    3. do a engine swap into it - this could fix the power to weight ratio real fast. (would also kill the resale value)
    The market will only bear about $1500 to $2500 for a nice 200x, so there is a cap to what I can or should put into it that said may be $1000. Since I am missing so much, I would have to buy: a whole engine, carb, ignition, bushings, chain, repair seat, try to save tank. I just don't see it. Best option to save it, is find a running trx300 and do a transplant. that would be an upgrade and could be done for less than $1000 and would not kill the resale.

As for the other bikes, I bought that trailer load from 1 guy, this is a phase, It may last a few years, maybe longer idk, I am here for the memories and the money. I have not tried ebay as a seller of parts, that's next for me, I like selling running machines, less work, faster pay day. Ebay parting out has been my fall back plan since day one, what I cant fix, will become parts and ebay parts, what doesn't sell for parts gets scraped when I move to my next hobby. Cold truth. I will consolidate as I move forward, I will not have a junk yard. I can't save them all, but I have saved several so far, and hope to save more. (all my parts bikes are kept under roof)

MrC.

--
    Before you scrap parts that are usable even if ugly, throw the whole collection on craigslist for 5x the scrap price and I pretty much guarantee you'll get it. It takes a lot of atvs to make 1 ton of scrap metal. My dad used to live on scrapping cars in the 90's he'd haul in 2-3 at a time because the pay was so horrible ($20-25/ton). The silly local scrap yard doesn't have steel prices posted right now, but I think it was something like $130-150/ton for tin (aka junk mainly made of metal).

The ebay parting out is good and bad, the desirable parts sell pretty fast and for a nice price, the rest can be slow to sell and ok prices. Some stuff just never sells, but that's normal. I originally started buying machines to fix up to ride for my self, and part out the machines that weren't worth it. Found out real quick it's a lot of effort to make all of those listings, and I don't get how the bigger guys list these parts in bulk for huge stock levels. I was also working on complete garbage internet, and ebay still doesn't work right in mozilla for updating the fitment table. I mainly sell new/modded parts only now, so it's one listing per product, just have to update the stock level once in a while when I get more in or make more, so much easier to manage.

Back to many random splurge of spec details, I filled out a fair few more machines with dry weight + horsepower specs ignoring all other details to get a fair few populated. No where complete, but the ATC350x and 200x stands up quite well for the early quads. Currently the only one to beat them is the TRX450R which didn't use an official spec but based on my research it's pretty consistent people are getting around 33hp for the 2004-2005 model. 366lb / 33hp = gives a lb to hp rate of 11.1. I don't have much for motorcycle specs, but I suspect dirt bikes would blow those numbers out of the water lol.

Not hijacking your thread or trying to derail it or anything, but I also recently found specs manuals, books just filled with tech specs for a bunch of machines. Didn't know those exist, there's so many types of manuals. I think I'm going to have quite a crazy collection of manuals, pretty much collecting all the manuals a dealership would likely have.

I didn't know the TRX300 engine fit, also isn't the TRX300 shaft drive or do you mean like the TRX300EX? There's a motorcycle engine that's really similar to the 200x, I think it was a 230 model that should be nearly a bolt in swap and fair chances it's a lot cheaper to find than a 200x engine. Could also use a 200cc 3 wheeler engine from other models, but there's a couple mods that have to be done like the right brake lever situation. The "auto x" is a common thing using a 185/s or 200/s engine. Less power, but semi auto (no hand clutch). I figured atleast one of the 200x's had the engine, could see the front one was missing, didn't notice the rear one was missing to (black engine and photo is in the shadows lol).

Anyway, a lot of people really love the 200x, I'm spoiled with first owning a 350x though lol. I suspect the ATC250R should beat the 350x easily for power to weight ratio, but there's no solid specs on the stock HP that I can find for any year, only ball park guesses like 26-33hp. I'd guess it's something like 27-28hp, more than the 350x slightly, but not tons more. The machine is just lighter so the power to weight ratio makes it feel like more power to the average consumer. Same logic throwing a small v8 in a tiny car vs leaving it in the stock v8 car, both have the same power, the weight is what changed. Related video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnpUYL8zVl4

Notice how easily his car breaks both tires loose (not sure if open diff or not). From my understanding it's more or less stock, just like this car it originally came with. I drive one daily, it doesn't drift easy unless you use the weight to break the tires loose, or it's raining. The drive shaft has two rubber couplers though because it's luxury so it's harder to break the tires loose because of that too besides the weight. Engine is a 1UZ 4.0L 250hp stock.

https://youtu.be/idUgy1kw6uU?t=810

--

200s

So this is the first one off the trailer and into the shop, I tested it and it had spark, compression was 150psi with 4 pulls WOT, a new plug and carb later and a bottle of fuel and she was running, you should have seen the ants exit the muffler! I got her warmed up and let her idle for 10 min. then dumped the oil for some fresh, valves are a little noisy but not bad. bogs a little if you stab it, but roll on it and she moves quick. The tank is soaking in a white vinegar bath after I shook some large nuts around inside to loosen up the rust. TIP count how many nuts you put in, and take out!

This one called out to me, vin comes up a 1985, the id plate says 1985 200s, but the tank decal looks like an 1982, sure the tank could have been changed.
    Was this decal used for more than one year? may be

The front shocks ride so much better than a 200es/big red I had no idea.
    I am going to clean this one up, and post it, sad though around here a pull start bike maxes out at about $850.

MrC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200203_090727.jpg   20200203_095536.jpg   20200204_175721.jpg   20200203_095604.jpg  

--
    Here is everything that was buried on the trailer
    There was also an engine, plastics and tanks in the truck bed.

MrC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200203_203840.jpg   20200203_095623.jpg   20200203_095451.jpg   20200203_095425.jpg   20200203_095318.jpg   20200203_095259.jpg  

20200203_090727.jpg   20200202_153533.jpg   20200202_152032.jpg  

--
    Yea the 200ES shocks are more like just springs, while the 200s/200m are more of a real shock, with the 200x having the best one.

It's hard to beat the ride on a 200x, 250r, or 350x for the 3 wheeler models.

--
    If you're able to get the majority of these running, I hope you can continue to do so and make a profit. It's definitely better than what was happening to them before your ownership.

The 185S/200S hardtails are arguably the best bang-for-the buck trikes out there. A lot of fun, simple, and inexpensive.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Things are moving right along, I have 1 of the 200s up and running, not perfect (pulls a great wheelie)
    The idles hunts a little , runs flat out great pulls strong, but dose not want to idle ran it hard today pulled up the the shop and as it slowed to idle it just died, I had to choke it even though it was warm, she fired back up, I turned the choke off and it idled but hunted up and down a few 100 rpms. IDK

Number 2 of the lot
    The starter would not turn it over fast enough to get a good spark, by chance I pulled the cord and it fired right up but then filled the shop with smoke, I just had to laugh, I knew it had low compression but dang.
    I guess this one needs rings and a top end. I have 2 other 200's I am tempted to swap the top end over and keep moving forward.

My goal is to get as many of the 8 running the 110 has no spark I have looked at the 70 other than to verify it is not locked up.
    MrC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200204_180203.jpg   20200208_172030.jpg  

--

Smokin' Joe

Hey guys, So I went back through the smokin' Joe bike,
    When I first got it, it had very low compression 75psi, I didn't think it would even run, but it did and smoked something crazy as you can tell from the picture above.
    I am not one to give up, so today i though maybe a valve was hanging up and not seating, that could cause low compression but still run.
    I noticed a large vacuum (suction) after I ran it when I removed the oil fill cap it when woosh!. I found the crank case breather tube completely clogged with dirt dobbers nest, so that took care of the vacuum issue
    I found the valves were over tight, I reset them to .005 lash and re-checked compression, it went right to 150psi Bingo!
    So I ran it again, this time is still smoked, not as bad as before, but still bad. It runs on choke only but smokes up the whole neighborhood.

So I before I order a set of rings in std size, is there anything else I should check or rule out?
    I am confused as to how it has 150 psi compression and still smokes?
    Could it be valves?

Do I have to remove the engine to do a top end rebuild?

Thanks
    MrC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200203_095635.jpg   20200208_172030.jpg  

--
    While waiting for parts
    I have sold the little 70 as is.
    I am waiting on a seat cover for the 200s
    I am waiting for rings and a piston for the 200m
    And picked up this baby today.
    Turn key drove it on the trailer. It should make for a nice flip after I replace the back tires( dry rot) and do a full fluid change.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200203_203808.jpg   20200204_180203.jpg   20200208_172030.jpg   26760.jpeg   26762.jpeg  

--
    I love most aspects of flipping ATC,
    Like Indiana Jones, Looking high and low, for the forgotten and neglected antique Honda ATC, Following leads and clues to their resting place, negotiating the deal "the haggle", dragging home a new toy (investment I tell the wife) or a pile of parts, taking the bike apart is a mystery, finding the reason it was parked and forgotten all those years ago. looking for that broken wire or burnt contact, that striped spline or froze piston, Then the real decision, can I save it? should I save it? is it profitable to save it? Then the real hunt begins looking for the rare replacement part, that isn't made anymore or finding new old stock, checking the boneyard for that missing part. Then in the dead of night, hearing it roar back to life, the satisfaction, because of you have done something that most can't or are not willing to do, You have saved it! Going for that first ride, having flashbacks as a child blasting through the woods in the 1980s, no worries, no cares just me on my atc. Detailing/ cleaning your new ride, getting it just right and taking pictures, looking over the spread sheet adding up the total cost with parts, writing a catchy ad for the online classifieds, and hitting the send button for all the world to see. And now you wait, like fishing, you sit back and wait for that one person who appreciates what you have done and is willing to pay you for it and finally you hear the "ding" of the phone, you have a new message, is it? could it be? yes its a potential buyer. You meet, you haggle, they buy, their happy, your happy.
    Now with a hand full of hundred dollar bills, it starts all over, but what will I find next, could it be the elusive mint 350x or a barn find 250r, or may be just another Big Red, no matter its all the same.

This is why I enjoy flipping trikes.
    MrC.

Today I say goodbye to a awesome Honda 200s and a parts bike Honda 110, the hunt for the next flip begins.......

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //