//ArrowChat Code
Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Who here flips trikes?

--
    Practical size trailer to have and they're lightweight enough to move by hand, like to relocate when mowing so there's not always that one spot with tall grass.

Those fixed jacks though...they all end up bent sooner or later. A bolt-on, wheeled, folding jack isn't expensive and makes connecting/disconnecting faster.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Yea on a small trailer like that a boat style jack would work well. I don't think they hold up well for heavier trailers, the fixed jack style is used on trailer houses to give an idea of their strength.

--
    Hey guys,
    Q. this 200m pulls to the right, I found there to be a big difference in rear air pressure right low left high causing a lot of the pull but while looking I found the front wheel 1/4 of an inch closer to the right side (brake side) I think this might be part of the pull also. I pulled the front end down and can't find anything missing (spacer/washer etc.) I measured all 3 wheels and they all have a 5 inch center. the front tire is a goodyear 25x11x9 and does clear, but a 25x12x9 will rub. Also I measured the forks there 13.5 apart at the top and bottom so there not flared out.
    Any thoughts as to what I could be over looking?

thanks
    MrC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200406_213107.jpg   20200406_213115.jpg  

--
    Check if the fork is bent in ward, like it was ran into something.

My 350x clearly has a bent fork in this pic. Hasn't really been a problem for pulling, just handle bars off a little. The rear tires will probably be the cause of the pull.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0223.jpg  

--
    This was a down and dirty kinda flip, it didn't need much to be dependable, I repaired and re-place what was necessary and then dress it up a bit. I am waiting for a plastic aftermarket tank and air filter, the factory one looked great on the inside until a paint bubble popped and fuel started leaking out. I have chased a few tanks with mixed results for the money a plastic tank is the way to go. buy it once and never worry about rust again. I love the look of the old tanks, but hate dealing with rusty trash.

MrC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200405_101220.jpg   20200408_215505.jpg   20200408_215420.jpg  

--
    You could give a shot at brazing the tank, of course it won't come out perfect but from what I could see they come out better than most welding attempts. Proper fix would be fix the hole, clean out the rust inside, then line it with something to prevent rust, repaint + new stickers. It's a lot of work and cost, so I can see why going with the plastic tank was the pick for you. Could probably get a fairly good price out of the tank on ebay if it's in otherwise good shape.

I have seen a guy that repo's atc70 tanks using fiberglass, they come out great and look like OEM. I read fiberglass can hold up well as a tank. Kind of shocked there isn't more tanks being made as fiberglass since they look so original. I don't recall what they did about the tank cap.

--
    Tire Weight I had no idea, I should have scaled them. The front tire was a goodyear on "Wacissa" weighed wheel/tire maybe 4lbs, the rear tires wear Carlisle must have weighed closer to 10 lbs each. I shook them to see if they were full of water. something to think about on these lesser powered machines.

Tanks, I have had good luck taping off a area sanding to bare metal and J B Weld a pin hole, then remove the tape and just leave the gray square from the JB weld showing, this tank had more than just the one small whole. You are correct brazing is something I should look into, its a skill I don't have (Yet) I have seriously considered building a shelf and showing my tank collection, I have may be 8 or so from different years and models it seems to be growing.

I should have the tank and air filter this week, I hope to get this back on the net and flip it in a week flat.

UPDATE, she is done, tank arrived today, I think over all she looks great, I choose to mix it up a bit and color matched the wheels and rear rack. what do you think?
    Another good flip, now off the the classifieds, to make rent.

MrC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200410_173357.jpg   20200410_173134.jpg   20200410_173258.jpg  
    Last edited by MrConcdid; 04-10-2020 at 10:01 PM.

--
    I wouldn't mind a tank ID page on my site if you'd give me permission to use the images and of course take the photos. I can't just steal them off google legally lol. Ones with OEM stickers is what I'd be looking for, don't need to be pretty, just identifiable.

Look at some videos on youtube about brazing gas tanks, it looks about as hard as soldering. I showed my sister how to solder, and she was soldering well within a few attempts and she has had zero metal working experience. I'm pretty sure it's all in proper prep work to have a presentable outcome.

--
    Here is a super odd Duck, I pick it up Tuesday,

1983 200es big red, you may ask yourself why is the second most common atc considered odd?
    it has the illusive add-on "reverse kit" to a chain drive atc!
    Of course that is the part that is busted on this machine, the reversing chain snapped and cracked the case, owner parked it.
    I am going to try and take the add-on reverse kit off , and restore it back to just high and low. chain drive.
    MrC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Marryana1.jpg   marryanna 2.jpg   marryanna5.jpg   marryanna4.jpg   marryanna3.jpg  

--
    FYI, unless that's some amazing early production 84 200es that was sold as an 83, the 83 was an atc200e big red =). Looks like it has the 200es gas tank though.

That reverse kit is probably worth something, You'd just need to find a replacement chain for it that's the right size.

I'm pretty sure the 200es parts I have here won't work, so you're kind of stuck shopping for the gears off ebay and the case. Should be fairly easy to fix though after the parts are found.

--
    I have a sub trans off a chain drive 83, I should be able to just swap out the boxes and gears.
    I have never opened up a sub trans. One of the few parts I havent had to go in to.
    I was surprised when the owner sent me the pics and told me what happen. Oh well I will figure something out.
    One of these days I want to build a fat cat. Bucket list kind thing. Dout if would sell well here. So I will probably never get the chance.

What did you think about the color matched rack and wheels on "wacissa" bike I just finished?
    I'm going to do one with red racks next and red wheels see how that looks. Ha I get paid to experiment
    MrC.
    Happy Easter to all and to all a good night.

--
    I'm a bad person to ask for colors and how things look, I tend to prefer the OEM look lol. Once in a while something comes together that's flat out awesome looking though. Like the 350x headlights, 200x front end + skinny tire on the atc250sx, that comes together really well. I think they used an atc250r front fender. It didn't look like a mash of parts, it looked like it was OEM designed that way.

My advice on the sub trans, even though I've only pulled like one apart. Use gravity. Drain the oil, tip the machine up, pull the cover off carefully. If you've never worked around transmissions, try to keep the gear sets as complete as possible so things don't get mixed up. Photos would be a great idea before pulling gears, even marking the ones you can reach wouldn't hurt. It's not super complciated, but it's a lot of parts to manage, luckily the sub trans is only 2 gears, high range and low range, so that should be 4 gears total, 2 on the input shaft, and 2 on the output shaft.

I'm not sure but maybe it's possible to pull the whole sub trans off with out removing the cover. Never worked on the 200e though, only the 200es which has 3 gear sets, high, low, and reverse + it's shaft drive so wildly different.

Once you get experience with the sub trans, a real trans is the same thing times about 3, 5-6 gears, some with reverse, generally 3 shafts and 10 or so gears to keep track of with what seems to be 3 shift forks for the typical setup vs only 1 in the sub trans. Service manual covers the info on the gears fairly well, so even if it all fell apart, you should have the data to follow to assemble it back together just fine.

I'm not sure how the sub trans gears are labeled, but it seems Honda labels the main trans gears as M2 or C2 which means main shaft (input) gear 2 or counter shaft (output) gear 2. Sometimes 1st or the highest gears aren't really labeled, or part of the shaft, like "low" could be first gear. Never rebuilt a trans, but I've pulled apart 4 or so engines and toyed around with how they work.

Pretty much if you can take the top end off an engine and put it back together, you should be able to swap out the sub trans. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be successful. Also, photos of the reverse kit and the damage from inside would be interesting. I've only recently learned about the kit and yours is the first one I know of that has failed. I'm guessing the chain broke and it bunched up against the case and broke it. Fair chances the chain is gone by now.

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B4F06587-A09D-4A17-BCB4-9A90C4DACA76.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	262263 we flipped this one today.
    90 nickolson Bored and Stroked "The Good"

Big Bore 110 Pauter frame "The Bad"

90 Bored and Stroked “vey’s frame” "The Ugly"

110 JSC frame Bored and Stroked
    flat track build. “Shop trike”

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    Nice bike DAM Shop
    Whats the specs? did you do a lot to it?
    1979 90cc

MrC.

--
    Doubled our money on this one made 200 bucks. Trikes like this are in the 4-500 range as far as we’re concerned. Plus we received a stock 110 carb, and a new coil we didn’t have to use. And an extra set of fenders with seat. We put on a plug wire cap, adjusted timing used set of good brake pads had maybe 2 hours into getting it ready. It’s far from perfect but it starts and runs good and doesn’t leak fuel or oil.
    90 nickolson Bored and Stroked "The Good"

Big Bore 110 Pauter frame "The Bad"

90 Bored and Stroked “vey’s frame” "The Ugly"

110 JSC frame Bored and Stroked
    flat track build. “Shop trike”

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //