//ArrowChat Code

Upcoming Events for the Next 120 Day(s)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Who here flips trikes?

--
    If you're able to get the majority of these running, I hope you can continue to do so and make a profit. It's definitely better than what was happening to them before your ownership.

The 185S/200S hardtails are arguably the best bang-for-the buck trikes out there. A lot of fun, simple, and inexpensive.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Things are moving right along, I have 1 of the 200s up and running, not perfect (pulls a great wheelie)
    The idles hunts a little , runs flat out great pulls strong, but dose not want to idle ran it hard today pulled up the the shop and as it slowed to idle it just died, I had to choke it even though it was warm, she fired back up, I turned the choke off and it idled but hunted up and down a few 100 rpms. IDK

Number 2 of the lot
    The starter would not turn it over fast enough to get a good spark, by chance I pulled the cord and it fired right up but then filled the shop with smoke, I just had to laugh, I knew it had low compression but dang.
    I guess this one needs rings and a top end. I have 2 other 200's I am tempted to swap the top end over and keep moving forward.

My goal is to get as many of the 8 running the 110 has no spark I have looked at the 70 other than to verify it is not locked up.
    MrC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200204_180203.jpg   20200208_172030.jpg  

--

Smokin' Joe

Hey guys, So I went back through the smokin' Joe bike,
    When I first got it, it had very low compression 75psi, I didn't think it would even run, but it did and smoked something crazy as you can tell from the picture above.
    I am not one to give up, so today i though maybe a valve was hanging up and not seating, that could cause low compression but still run.
    I noticed a large vacuum (suction) after I ran it when I removed the oil fill cap it when woosh!. I found the crank case breather tube completely clogged with dirt dobbers nest, so that took care of the vacuum issue
    I found the valves were over tight, I reset them to .005 lash and re-checked compression, it went right to 150psi Bingo!
    So I ran it again, this time is still smoked, not as bad as before, but still bad. It runs on choke only but smokes up the whole neighborhood.

So I before I order a set of rings in std size, is there anything else I should check or rule out?
    I am confused as to how it has 150 psi compression and still smokes?
    Could it be valves?

Do I have to remove the engine to do a top end rebuild?

Thanks
    MrC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200203_095635.jpg   20200208_172030.jpg  

--
    While waiting for parts
    I have sold the little 70 as is.
    I am waiting on a seat cover for the 200s
    I am waiting for rings and a piston for the 200m
    And picked up this baby today.
    Turn key drove it on the trailer. It should make for a nice flip after I replace the back tires( dry rot) and do a full fluid change.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200203_203808.jpg   20200204_180203.jpg   20200208_172030.jpg   26760.jpeg   26762.jpeg  

--
    I love most aspects of flipping ATC,
    Like Indiana Jones, Looking high and low, for the forgotten and neglected antique Honda ATC, Following leads and clues to their resting place, negotiating the deal "the haggle", dragging home a new toy (investment I tell the wife) or a pile of parts, taking the bike apart is a mystery, finding the reason it was parked and forgotten all those years ago. looking for that broken wire or burnt contact, that striped spline or froze piston, Then the real decision, can I save it? should I save it? is it profitable to save it? Then the real hunt begins looking for the rare replacement part, that isn't made anymore or finding new old stock, checking the boneyard for that missing part. Then in the dead of night, hearing it roar back to life, the satisfaction, because of you have done something that most can't or are not willing to do, You have saved it! Going for that first ride, having flashbacks as a child blasting through the woods in the 1980s, no worries, no cares just me on my atc. Detailing/ cleaning your new ride, getting it just right and taking pictures, looking over the spread sheet adding up the total cost with parts, writing a catchy ad for the online classifieds, and hitting the send button for all the world to see. And now you wait, like fishing, you sit back and wait for that one person who appreciates what you have done and is willing to pay you for it and finally you hear the "ding" of the phone, you have a new message, is it? could it be? yes its a potential buyer. You meet, you haggle, they buy, their happy, your happy.
    Now with a hand full of hundred dollar bills, it starts all over, but what will I find next, could it be the elusive mint 350x or a barn find 250r, or may be just another Big Red, no matter its all the same.

This is why I enjoy flipping trikes.
    MrC.

Today I say goodbye to a awesome Honda 200s and a parts bike Honda 110, the hunt for the next flip begins.......

--
    "just a big red" xD, the 200es was the most sold machine in usa.

Might be a good suggestion to drive around all the Honda dealers in your area and ask if they have any old machines in the crate yet unsold in storage. I head over seas there was like 3 machines dug up at an auction from a Honda dealer, new in the crate, atleast one was an 86 atc250r.

While on your hunt, watch for "NOS" 350x engines too, it was common for dealers to cut the stator wiring when pulling the new engine out to "destroy" the machine from the big ban. Good luck on the hunt, maybe you'll run across a FL200 Fat Cat some time, those are pretty neat and unique bikes. The Odyssey was another pretty unique machine but made for a lot more years, last year 1985, then in 89-90 the pilot was made. I don't think Honda made another sit in style atv till the 680 Big Red side by side was released.

--
    Well this is getting interesting. I hope I don't burn out. The wife says I have to stop naming them and just number them. that could get embarrassing real quick.
    I sold the 200s- ( one of my favorite models ) on Saturday, Today ( Monday) I picked up these two up in a Walmart parking lot, hence the name another Big Red "Walmart Special 200es", and another "Walmart Special 125m" . 2-hours later I was riding the 200es. supposedly it ran when parked 10 years ago.( never mind the advance springs where missing, the starter relay was trashed, the pull rope didn't wind up or that the timeing was 180 out). anyways, she rides good on a flat tire.

I plan to fix the 125, put it back stock-ish, I have never worked on that type of engine, wish me luck.

"Malone" is ready to go to market, I have included pics of it from the day I got it to completion.

Enjoy the show.
    MrC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200215_153724.jpg   Walmart Special 200es.jpeg   Walmart Special 125m.jpeg   malone day 1.jpeg   malone ready.jpg  

--
    Man, that aftermarket front rack basket matches the "walmart special" package though, why would you ever want to get rid of it xD.

Also since you go through so many machines, might be handy to replace the handle bar grips on the worn ones. They are super cheap, and it's a part of the machine you interact with a lot, might be a solid selling point. These are a perfect match to OEM, except the very end doesn't have the flat for the end cap to clamp down on. It shouldn't be needed if installed correctly though.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/ho...caaeaecc9d43d9

--
    Funny, you mentioned that, I just ordered 3 pair of grips to keep on hand. Yes I am turning these pretty fast, about every 3 weeks it seems. I told you I would find another Big Red, lol there falling out of the trees down here.
    That is a better price on the grips too, thank you.

The Walmart Special Big Red will sale easily here, the 125m not so much. I think the P.O. asked Santa for a pony and got a brown atc, IDK. If it runs good, I may finally get to paint one. Camo? Black? Red? wrap it or paint? we will see.

I think "Malone" really turned out good, runs as good as it looks, I have to say, I like the 200m and 200s better, there lighter, faster, easier to maneuver, more comfortable and just as capable. ie not having reverse can be a huge PITA. But I think you the driver can make up for it most of the time by thinking ahead.

Repairing the rear brakes on the 'Walmart Special Big Red" tonight. I hope to have it for sale in the next 2-3 weeks. Then I will have to slow down, I go back to school in the summer. yep old guy going back to school.

MrC.

--
    Oh yea, forgot to mention, the atc125m is pretty similar to a 200 series machine besides the physical engine angle change. Mechanical spark advancer and all, uses the same springs. I'd guess the 200e or 200m would be the closest relative.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //