//ArrowChat Code
Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Who here flips trikes?

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    If you shoot me the VIN on the Kawasaki, I can probably decode what it is. I think I can use the engine serial for most models too. I should have up to around 2000 covered for that kind of data.
    Ok, thanks. I'll get it later and send to you.
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

--
    Diamonds in the rough.

I pulled the top end off of fire sale. Looks to be some good parts left in it. Head looks usable still, after some new valves and fresh cut seats. I'll have to measure the cylinder, but the piston didn't have any oversize number on it, so that may be good enough to resize and use. I just wiped the cylinder and piston with paper towels, no wire brush or solvents used.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HotEngine (1).jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	265221Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HotEngine (3).jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	2.78 MB 
ID:	265222Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HotEngine (4).jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	265223Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HotEngine (5).jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	265224Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HotEngine (6).jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	265225Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HotEngine (8).jpg 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	265226Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HotEngine (9).jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	265227Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HotEngine (10).jpg 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	265228

There are scrape marks on the head gasket area, so someone has been into it before.

There's some rust in the bottom end, for sure, but the rod doesn't have any play and the crank is looking OK at this point. Got to split the cases and check the rest.

I've got another one of these engines torn down about the same amount, so maybe can make one good one out of both.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    The Phoenix, back from the ashes.

As I said in the beginning of this thread, part of this hobby is like archaeology, peeling back the layers that are hiding the gems, or like a detective story, following the chain of clues, taking in all the evidence, building the case, and solving the puzzle when it runs again. "Fire Sale" met a tragic end for sure, but the damage may only be paint deep, not saying you should rebuild the whole thing, but I think you have some very good parts, and possibly a good running engine also.

I cleaned up the shop some last night, put E3 to the side waiting on a gasket kit, I hope to drag in E4 another 200e, my curiosity is killing me to tear into it, and see why it quit.

How bout we change things up this time:
    Plan for E-4, get it running, fix nothing else and see if I can sell it, as a running driving project. No front end swaps, no new tires/battery or brakes, cables, seat cover,grips, air filter, oil change, detail or paint touch up. Just running. I will list it as a running project, advertise it as such, with video of it running driving and see what happens. I already know it will need a pull rope and handle I have $350 in buying the bike, goal is to double the invested money, so ad a carb, pull rope, clean the tank, new fuel filter and line, and what ever else that is wrong. add all that up then double it, equals the sale price. Should be all in for around $450 and sell for $900. I will put no more than 4 hours of labor in repairing it.

I have no idea what is wrong with this bike, I have not looked at it yet.
    Challenge excepted.
    MrC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20201120_212234.jpg   20201103_163042.jpg  
    Last edited by MrConcdid; 11-21-2020 at 01:47 PM.
    mrc_builds on YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmw...confirmation=1

My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

mrc_builds saves trikes like Jimmy Swaggart saved souls back in the day -said Patriot1

--
    Quote Originally Posted by MrConcdid View Post

How bout we change things up this time:
    Plan for E-4, get it running, fix nothing else and see if I can sell it, as a running driving project.
    If the aftermarket exhaust it has is solid; that can be a selling point too. What's up with the dipstick though?

patriot1 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    King: I had told McC to remove the flaps then you said the same!

Barnboy: How is it going with your X/s? I am planning on taking my X on a ride next week. Excited about it

Productive day for me:

1) I removed 4 bolts that my son broke on the tree of the 250R when I asked him to remove the old broken fender. (I love him, he's my boy, we enjoy this stuff together but how can you break 4 bolts and then realize and say "dang, I broke all four of them off")

2) I finally found fire with my SX after replacing the CDI with one from a Big Red I have, I had multi-metered, asked PS2, prayed, cussed, read the manual, kicked and tested everything to death-even replaced the CDI with a Chinese one that didn't work. Put the one on that I robbed from the ES and she sang like a song.

Nothing most wouldn't have figured out in 2 hours but I've learned a lot and still have a way to go.

--
    Grats on getting the sx going, it's really nice having a machine to pull parts from to test things out on, there's not really a great test method for CDI's so they are kind of a last ditch effort most of the time. Btw the sx and es does use the same CDI, so for a replacement, match the year with the one you used, 85 had a round connector, while 86-87 used 2 connectors that are more squared off. 85 and 86-87 interchange electrically if you adapt the wiring over or swap the harness.

--
    Patriot, got them off the trailer Sat. I have one of every year 1st gen 200X. 83 parts bike, 84 roller, and 85 parts. The 85 is in the worst shape, pulled the engine and stripped it Saturday. Likely will sell the front end and other parts off it that I dont need. Engine feels like its got a rod flopping around in the cyl :0. 83 engine hopefully is ok, I dont have a kicker lever for it though, so idk if it turns over yet. Kinda hate to buy one just for that, but if anyone has a spare they'd let go cheep or trade for parts PM me.

The 84 roller is actually in nice shape, though it needs a lot of work. I have a spare 185 motor I've thought about putting in it. Part of me wanting a manual clutch bike with some power though. CRF230 swap would be cool if they weren't so expensive. If the 83 motor is decent, I may rebuild it. Not sure yet. I'll probably need a bunch of little things...carb, right footpeg, rear fender and mounting rubber, fuel tank cap, wheel bearings all around, probably new tires. We'll see what happens.

I'm trying to sell the kawasaki 4 wheeler and pay for the load. Then sell extra 200X parts and maybe build a bike for zero extra dollars, just money from what I can sell! That'd be nice. Anyone that needs parts, hit me up.

Name:	20201121_103123.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	265288

Name:	20201121_101837.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	265289

Name:	20201121_120544.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	2.47 MB 
ID:	265290

Da velder

--
    For the kick starter, get some channel locks or vice grips. Check the spacing on the teeth to the splines, if close, clamp it down good and turn it and see if the engine turns over. Won't be anything to start the engine with but good enough to check if it's locked up. Also there's two covers on the left side of the crank case, should be able to take the bigger one off and turn the engine over with the flywheel bolt. With a drill you might be able to even start the engine that way. With the engine in the machine you could put it in 2nd or 3rd gear and pull start it with another machine, just make sure the engine turns over first.

--
    Awesome Patriot1, You have a lot of choices, but as I have found out, you really cant loose with Hondas.
    PS2Fixer- thats good info about the difference CDI on the 85 SX, I have one also. thanks
    ATCKing- I hate dealing with those rusted screws in the flaps, What about tastefully cutting them down, this would remove the weight, and not leave exposed holes in my fenders. PS. I rode the 185s with the 18inch tires, wow you hit 5th quick, its nice on the trails, but I wound her out on the paved road today, top out I bet at 30mphNeeds more NOS

So I challenged myself with E4 bike
    Get it running and sell it for double my investment

I sent Barnboy a pic and a text @7pm @7:15 I sent him a video of it running. Here is how it went down.
    I paid $253 for the bike (one of the magnificent 7 purchase from Enterprise) target to double the total investment and spend no more than 4 hrs doing it.

This bike is missing the pull rope so
    I cheated a little this has electric start. so I hooked up a battery charger, and hit the button- nothing.
    1 starter button wire is pulled out and not connected to button, kill switch is floppy, cant trust them
    Pulled plug cleaned it put back on the coil wire not back in the head.
    I removed the tank, I disconnected the harness at the steering stem to eliminate the missing key/button and kill switch, Hot wired it red to yellow with red stripe
    verified hot the relay and jumped it with a screw driver/motor spun!, checked we had spark on our cleaned plug and we did.
    re-installed the plug, hooked up a gas line and supply, choked it and jumped it with a screw driver again.
    VROOM she runs and idles (carb float is stuck, cause it to leak) but runs very well.

Running on its own in 15min. sent Barnboy a video of it running

Turn engine off- (grounded the black wire at the steering stem)
    went to bone yard, found a 84 200es kill switch and button, installed them
    reconnected everything at the steering stem still bypass the key w/ red to yellow/red stripe
    Got my test light and checked for a ground signal going to the starter relay, hit the new button-nothing
    Found no ground coming from the neutral safety switch-grounded one side of the start button green with red stripe
    Found a bad connection in the ground signal wire to the relay
    Re Tested for ground, now we have ground by the start button and hot from the battery.
    hit the button- nothing. We have hot and ground to the relay but relay is bad.
    Grabbed a new relay off the shelf installed it
    hit the button-VROOM she starts by the button now.

Now the kill switch works, and so does the start button I cleaned the harness up, connected the aftermarket headlights (they work off the switch now (white wire).
    The tank looks brand new inside, but some Einstein used bondo to patch some pin holes and water pipe fittings to make a petcock.
    I had to cut the water pipe fitting in half so I could rotate it off the threaded boss of the tank, thankfully the threads were good, I cleaned them and applied teflon tape and a new/used petcock I had. Odd this tank had pin holes on both lower corners inside and out, yet the inside looked
    prefect. I wire brushed (wire wheel on a drill) the the bondo off and removed the old paint, positioned the tank and applied some JB weld, I let it set 30 min, while doing other work, and flipped it over and did the other side. its not pretty but will work, it can be sanded and painted if you wanted to.

At this point I am an 2.5 hours into the build, I called it a night and let the JB set up fully
    this morning, I installed the tank, new line and filter, put fuel in it (no Leaks) and started it up, it sounds good with the cobra header, I have never had one, I aired up the 2 flat tires, and went for a ride, no brakes, and the clutch slips when you wind out the gears, but it runs, shift and drives and idles
    I let it cool and pressure washed it.
    another hour, so 3.5 hours total

So will it sell as a running, driving project?
    Cost so far:
    bike $253.00
    relay $9.00
    fuel line/filter $2.00
    kill switch/button $25.00 (boneyard)
    connectors/wire $2.00
    used petcock $5.00
    total cost $296.00x2= so say $600 list it for $800 and settle at $600.
    that's $100 an hour if it sells like it sits or a $300 profit for 3 hours work.

Now Interestingly "Bradford" Is the same bike (1983 200e), paid a more for it and it needed the same amount of work as E4 bike would if I built it.
    I have almost $1000 in that bike, it will top out (sell) for $1600 to $1800 netting a $600/$800 profit which is twice as much profit,
    but considerably more work (labor), expense and risk. I have close to 15 hours in "Bradford" so $700/15 that's only $46.6 an hour.

So there are two different examples of the same bike built two different ways both netting profits, yet completely different.
    I will list both bikes for sale this week and lets see which sells first.

MrC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20201121_185201.jpg   20201121_185537.jpg   20201121_190944.jpg   20201121_190706.jpg   20201121_185821.jpg   20201121_191429.jpg  

20201121_191432.jpg   20201121_200300.jpg   20201121_200303.jpg   20201122_222830.jpg  

My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

mrc_builds saves trikes like Jimmy Swaggart saved souls back in the day -said Patriot1

--
    more pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20201122_224837.jpg   20201122_222851.jpg   20201123_103052.jpg   20201123_103037.jpg  

My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

--
    Yep, I can attest to Mr.C's magic touch, looked at my phone and he sent me a pic of the bike in the shop. Next thing he knew he sent me a vid of it running, lol. I barely got 3 welds laid in that time, working on my frame. TIG is slow, esp for me on that odd shaped out of position stuff.

Mr.C, if I could buy a bike like that for $2-250 I would do it all day long. I just rarely find them in that shape, for that price around here. At least, not consistently to be abkento flip them like you do. I probably could if I really cranked ads out and talked to everybody I knew.

PS2, good thought on the Chanellocks. I tried lightly but didn't want to ruin the splines. Im gonna check and see how the tooth spacing is on that.

Da velder

patriot1 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Good score on the 84! My next X will be an auto. It's so much easier!

I was going to provide an update but for some reason, I can't load

pictures..file:///var/folders/md/p16nn2kj2gdfcdw96wnb72j40000gn/T/com.apple.Safari/WebKitDropDestination-4GsMa6U2/thumbnail_IMG_4141.jpg

I had the opportunity to ride a SX for the first time in my 46 years over the weekend. So much fun! The brakes were locked up on it when I got it. I had to heat and pull and beat and pry the drum and stuff off. After I finally got it apart the rear wheels still would not turn. I got a carb and couldn't find fire, tested everything and replaced CDI with a Chinese one-still nothing. Replaced Chinese CDI with one from a Big Red and started it up and put it in gear and off she went! Super cool!

More to come...

--
    If the flaps were in good condition, I wouldn't want to cut on them. If they have some holes or tire wear, then I wouldn't feel so bad about it.

You can't use heat on those screws, obviously. Those fenders aren't easily removable, but if you too them off, you may be able to do what I do sometimes, and clamp the bottom T-nut into a vise, and use an impact driver on the screw, to see if that'll do it.

Last resort, to save the flaps, is to just drill the heads off. You personally don't want just the empty bolt holes in the fenders, but it looks like one of the metal backing plates is already rusted through, if that's the right picture I'm looking at.

You could always pop some Christmas trees into the holes for a more finished look.

--
    So I have E-4 up and running, this was the challenge bike, I have certainly met that goal, I have rode it now, and it needs the usual. (everything) but starts right up and runs good.

So of the 7 bikes from Enterprise
    I was able to save 4 of them they all run and drive now, they will require finishing touches before selling.
    The 125m (horizontal) has a whole in the head
    The 200e parts bike is just that, parts
    The last 200s need work, has a bent fork, plastics are bad, but I could use the bulk of it.

So I spent $1650 on all 7, I appraised the 3 parts bikes at $50 each so subtract $150 from $1650 and I spent $1500/4 = $375 per bike.
    not bad, I will finish them like always and sell, I will hang onto the 185s, it is a fun little bike.

So not letting a holiday go by without, presents.........
    I picked up this little gem Thanksgiving morning.
    84 200m - I got it running, but smokes worse than the smoking joe bike. neat thing about this 200m is the hondaline CHROME headlight cage, front and rear racks, under that stupid black spray paint, is beautiful hondaline chrome. I figure those racks are worth more than the whole bike.

Anyone have an idea of how rare they might be?
    MrC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20201126_132130.jpg   20201126_154602.jpg   20201126_154555.jpg   20201126_154547.jpg   20201126_135833.jpg  

My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

--
    Well "Bradford" 200e finally hit the marketplace, it seams this one has stayed around a long time.
    I ordered the wrong crank seal and had to reorder , I lost 3 weeks just on that 1 part. Oh well that the way it goes sometimes.
    It starts and runs great, it turned out very nice. Will make someone a very nice rider.

E2- 200 is giving me fits, I tore it down and found some RVT repaired base and head gasket, changed both of them out with new ones, that stopped the leaks, also found the locating nipple on the cam bearing was broken off and down in the hole, I was able to knock it loose and remove with a piece of wire, I had a parts engine, and replaced the bearing.
    rebuilt it, and finally got it timed (the flywheel is corroded, I can not see the timing marks anywhere, I tried to remove the flywheel but my flywheel tool will not thread into it (corroded) So I timed it old school, TDC, just before the exhaust valve opens, it runs, but smokes now, it did not smoke prior to the new gaskets. Not sure what that is, it seem to stumble also, ran better when it was leaking. lol.

E3--200s has parts on the way, it needed rear bearings, brakes, chain and sprockets, so its torn down for now.

E4-200e the ugly duckling is waiting its turn. it runs so good, I am thinking about a motor swap into the new Thanksgiving 200m with Chrome Hondaline guards/racks
    This would be an interesting mashup a 200m suspension, with high and low range (no reverse) but a nicer riding Big Red than was ever offered in 1983

MrC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200815_141131.jpg   20201128_115256.jpg   20201128_115323.jpg   20201128_115301.jpg   20201128_115429.jpg   20201128_115358.jpg  

Last edited by MrConcdid; 11-29-2020 at 10:39 AM.

My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //