//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Just picked this up. Argo Taurus, 1986.

California, USA about 50 miles north of sacremento
    --

Just picked this up. Argo Taurus, 1986.

On my way home. Will post more info.

More info below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20191206_102255.jpg   MVIMG_20191206_102300.jpg   IMG_20191206_103615.jpg  
    Last edited by TrailerRider; 12-06-2019 at 06:14 PM.

--
    Now that's a machine you don't get to see around too much. What's your plans with it? Looking like you'll need an engine for it.

--
    Originally I was going to just slap a snowmobile engine and and run it. But the guy had all th parts for it. When he got it it had all the original parts and still together. It needed to have piston rings put into the engine so the guy bought it to a shop and have them do the work but the shop unexpectedly close the doors and the engine went with it. So now I'm thinking about finding one of the old engines and putting it back together and keeping it.

I'm so stoked I've always wanted this one and they've always been a million miles away and then thousands of pieces and this one ended up being 3 miles from my house. I stuck in the back of my Bronco it took three of us to load it because it's so heavy but when I got it home and went through the parts box it looks like every single thing is there and in really good condition. Thought about trying to get a brand new vanguard and sticking it in there but at this point being that it's so original I'm thinking I'll just try to find the engine and put it back together even if I have to get a core block and just build the thing from the ground up I'm not sure exactly yet I'll probably have more money into it then it'll ever be worth. funny story it showed up on Facebook marketplace a few months ago and before I could contact the person it disappeared. So I figured s*** somebody got a really good deal and I shined it on and didn't worry about it any more than just a day or so ago it popped back up and I contact the gentleman and went over the next day to get it. 3 funny things that stand out to me about it the situation is that it went away and came, it's spelled just the same way as my favorite car and being the name is a Taurus my last name is Torres even though it's spelled incorrectly it's still pretty funny. I have to wait for both my boys to get off work tonight so that I can unload it from the truck I can't do it by myself it's too big but when I do I'll post more pictures.it rolled with no issues the lights are the stock lights the racks are all present the front one needs to be straightened a little bit the front brakes work the rear brakes were the axles are not locked up it rolls clean tires are in great condition plastics are almost perfect there is a little bit of cracking around the rear rack where it looks like someone may have sat down on the plastics and crack them I'm not sure. the gas tank looks great I haven't put fuel in it yet to find out if it leaks but it looks pretty solid. The wiring is intact and not all hacked up the starter solenoid looks to still be in place not sure if it works or not obviously all the plastics are there the mud flap for the front is there all the clutches all the linkages everything that is needed is there. like I said the guy got a complete and took the motor out to have it worked on. while he took it apart he put all the bolts and nuts and washers and such inside of a coffee can and kept them aside so that I have all the bolts and hardware to put everything back together. I'll need to source a belt but I'm guessing all I need to do is measure the length and purchase a drive belt. anyway if anybody has any questions or wants me to take pictures or whatever just let me know in the meantime I'll probably making some posts about this thing. one of these websites I think it's a Taurus 650 website has a registry for these bikes. So I'm guessing that there was not too many of these made. Any info you have or are willing to share would be great I did read some of the basics about the bike being the weight ratios and what engine and CC's was in the bike but everything else that's non-standard would be awesome to know.

Thanks guys and gals appreciate it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20191206_112453.jpg  

--
    Sorry about grammar used voice dictator and will never use that again..

--
    It's been a while, but if I recall correctly, a Canadian bought out the last of the parts that were made for these, or bought the business, can't remember the exact details. I just remember him at trike fest riding one. Might be possible to find out who that was and see if they have engine parts or even a whole engine.

They where super heavy, but under built, so defo not a machine to beat on, but should be just fine to putt around on and do some trail riding with. I think the rear axles was a weak point. Just hearsay, no direct experience myself.

I recall there was low production numbers of them, but I don't remember just how low was low. I'm thinking like 1000 units. To compare, most Honda models sold 5000+ per year with the 200es over 100k (from memory). I think there was something like 13k 350x's in the usa.

I might be interested to make a clone of the harness, but I'm kind of guessing it won't be a profitable item to make/sell, but would be neat to atleast have it as an option to re-manufacture. More interesting would be that I could make a wire diagram if I could get good photos of where all the connections go to and while I have the harness I can test what goes where internally. There should be some sort of identification on the machine, a frame serial or something, kind of doubt they changed much if at all year to year electrically. I'd be posting the info I collect about the harness/electronics on my atvmanual.com site publicly if you wanted to go that route. Could even make a spare harness for a discount, I currently don't have anything setup for battery cables but that's a future plan of mine too.

Either case, defo a neat machine and I suspect even short term it wouldn't be too hard to mount a snowmobile engine. I'd think the engine mounts would be the same since I'd expect a small time atv company to outsource the engine from another company. Same goes for the drive belt, I'd expect it to be a standard size from the 80's but it is a bit of a unique setup so maybe the belt is a bit longer than typical though.

Good luck with the project.

--
    mattdragontamer bought out the Taurus factory and the parts stash

I'm trying to remember his last name. It's French name I think.

Might get contact info here...

http://www.taurus650.com/about.html

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ironchop; 12-06-2019 at 10:59 PM.

--
    Nice find trailrider! Ps2 and ironchop are correct, Matt Boudreau (mattdragontamer) is Canadian and has all the remaining NOS parts that were left over from the factory. He will also be a wealth of information for your rebuild. Do some searching and you'll see a lot of build and ride posts from him on here. Those things are tanks and have crazy towing and rack carrying capacites! And they have brakes that work unlike Hondas, lol. The only downfall is that they're extremely heavy (you know that already) and you can't submerge them as the motor is a standard, horizontally opposed B&S Industrial 656cc(?)so definitely not waterproof.
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Mattdragontamer is out of North Bay, ON I believe. IDK if he still on here but it can't hurt to send him a PM.
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

--
    Great find! Matt has the parts for sure. I can tell you that Ethanol will attack the plastic tank and cause them to leak. Thats the reason I now have a 3 Gallon boat gas tank on the back of my Green Taurus. Make sure to register it on Taurus605.com
    my feedback thread http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...-hoosierlogger

TRIKEFEST 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

Current rides
    Taurus 650 (green)
    85 250es big red
    83 ALT50 (5 year old daughters)
    82 ALT50
    82 ALT50
    84 atc 70 stroked big bore 90 STILL in progress.
    71 QA50
    93 TRX 300 FW

Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Ya'll are the biggest bunch of whining b!tches I've seen in my entire life.
    You might be strong as an ox, but without a cart you are just a big dumb animal.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //