//ArrowChat Code

Thread: '84 ATC200S smoking

--

'84 ATC200S smoking

Im new to 3 wheelers and i bought this bike about 3 weeks ago and only rode it up and down the road a few times. Never really smoked too bad.
    I changed the oil in it and noticed yesterday when I rode it (for the first time since changing the oil) that it SMOKES like crazy. came home and pulled the dip stick and the oil was blackish and a smell of gasoline.

I read somewhere that leaving the petcock on can cause gas to get into the crank... ? what else would cause it to smoke so bad now when it didnt before? used 10-w40 when I changed the oil.

Compression is low (80psi) so I know im due for a top end refresh but was thinking I could make it through the winter and do it in the spring, but now with all of this smoke, i dont want to ruin anything.

was going to pull the motor and pull the cylinder to see what shape it was in and if simply replacing the rings would suffice. Or thought about sending it out and having it bored and honed...
    anyone have any experience with this company?
    http://www.ghdiscountatvsupply.com/h...ining-service/

Here is the fresh oil that I had put in it. It didnt have more than 20 min of run time on this and this is how it looked.

--
    Did you over fill the oil?
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 200E yard rat
    1984 ATC 200X
    1984 ATC 200S (X2)
    1985 ATC 70 (X2)
    1985 ATC 200S
    1985 ATC 250R
    1986 TRX 70
    1986 ATC 350X
    2004 kfx 700 XC
    2006 prarie 700 XC
    2009 Brute Force 750
    2020 CF Moto 600

--
    Quote Originally Posted by jasunderland View Post
    Im new to 3 wheelers and i bought this bike about 3 weeks ago and only rode it up and down the road a few times. Never really smoked too bad.
    I changed the oil in it and noticed yesterday when I rode it (for the first time since changing the oil) that it SMOKES like crazy. came home and pulled the dip stick and the oil was blackish and a smell of gasoline.

I read somewhere that leaving the petcock on can cause gas to get into the crank... ? what else would cause it to smoke so bad now when it didnt before? used 10-w40 when I changed the oil.

Compression is low (80psi) so I know im due for a top end refresh but was thinking I could make it through the winter and do it in the spring, but now with all of this smoke, i dont want to ruin anything.

was going to pull the motor and pull the cylinder to see what shape it was in and if simply replacing the rings would suffice. Or thought about sending it out and having it bored and honed...
    anyone have any experience with this company?
    http://www.ghdiscountatvsupply.com/h...ining-service/

Here is the fresh oil that I had put in it. It didnt have more than 20 min of run time on this and this is how it looked.
    Pull the head and cylinder. Send the cylinder to la sleeve and have them order a wiseco piston kit and have them bore the cylinder to match the piston. You also need to replace the valve seals. While the cylinder is off check for play in the crankshaft. There should be minimal side to side (check with a feeler gauge) and zero up and down play.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    If you don't clean the oil rotor, the fresh oil will probably turn black pretty quickly.

--
    Check your valve lash first. before you pull the head. make sure you don't have a loose or over tight valve. That could cause it to run rich and smoke like a freight train, also would explain the low compression. Also, when you did the compression test, you did have the throttle wide open correct? you should have. factory is 150psi, anything less than 100 generally wont run. set the lash to .006 with a gauge, change the oil and plug, check the carb adjustments 1 5/8 turns out on air fuel mix, 1400 rpms at warm idle. and report back.

MrC.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //