//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Dad would've wanted it that way

mooseknuckle is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

Dad would've wanted it that way

MY dad gave me a Honda Z50 mini bike when i was five years old and thats when it started. When I outgrew that bike dad comes home with a 125m. We tinkered with a bit, tune up fresh gas, new tires and the like. Next, dad brings home 2 boned out 200x's. We put them together to make 1 good runner, now dad had a trike too! So we spent many hours trail riding and hitting the local sand pit on occasion. It was a great way for father and son to bond!

Fast forward to 2012 my cousin tells me he's got a 200s sitting in his yard, haul it away. I did. I tinkered with it a bit and got her going. I felt like a kid again. When I saw an ad on Cl for a 250 big red I had to have it, I've wanted one since I was kid. I finally had my big red and joined this site. Met some great guys that gave me help and gave me some great deals on parts as well. I had a family of my own now, and had been working myself to death to keep food on the table and the bills paid. I was hoping with 2 trikes Dad and I would maybe start riding together from time to time. It wasn't long after buying that big red that Dad injured his neck and back which created complications with his emphysema. It got to where he couldn't do much anymore. Could hardly walking without gasping for a breath, having to wheel around a newly acquired oxygen bottle was't his cup of tea either. This was a man that was always busy fixing or building something in the garage. I knew it was killing him that he couldn't spend long days and nights in the shop working out some idea, or building a hot rod or whatever. I was still working like crazy and it was beginning to eat away at me that I spent all my time and energy on a thankless job with no real future other than more hard work. I needed more time for my family and myself. It was 4 years that I had to watch my dads condition worsen and nothing I could do for him.

Its been 3 years since I lost my dad, my hero and best friend. I also lost all interests. I held it together just enough to work, eat, sleep and repeat. I did my best to be attentive to my family but beyond that I had given up. In the last few months I've begun to come around.
    Now all this time poor 'ol reds been sitting out back and my boys been asking if I'd getting running again. I was given a chinese mini bike that need some tlc. Its a lil' 49cc, just right size for my lil guy, he's 9 and little for his age. So I've been working on that for a Christmas present, I cant wait to see his reaction! With that said, its time for me to get that ol' red going again so I can ride with my boy the way my dad did with me.
    Dad would've wanted it that way.

I apologize for the long post, I've never spoken any of this to anyone and it felt good to get off my chest after carrying around for years.
    It's good to be back
    Last edited by mooseknuckle; 12-23-2019 at 09:09 AM. Reason: spelling

--
    Amen
    Great post for honoring a wonderful person

We all heal in our own way and at our own speed

mooseknuckle is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Thank you 10 char

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //