//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Big Red one way bearing help

ATCKevin is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

Big Red one way bearing help

My 85 BR has a nasty noise coming from the right side cover. The starter does clunk and the engine makes a clunking sound when you shut it off. What are the characteristics of a failing or bad one way bearing? I’ve never had to replace one before. Also, do I spend the $90 for oem or is a $25 caltric one all I need? Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

--
    I associate a clunk with a bad gear tooth or something jamming, I have a one way gear go bad on a honda 300, it made a whirling noise when you shut the engine off.
    I have a BR 200es that sheered a keyway, and that keyway jammed up the rotor gear, all gears were ok, and I replaced the keyway.

What I am trying to say, is pull the cover, verify the problem before you order parts.
    MrC.

--
    The clutch side bearing is for the kick starter and for deacceleration braking .
    The starter bearing is just for the electric starter , they do make a clunk noise when you turn the motor off and that’s normal .
    Last edited by shortline10; 01-09-2020 at 06:02 AM.
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    We have used both and I’m not sure if it was the wear or bearing Quality but the oem worked great and the aftermarket works ok
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    Well guys I tore apart my BR to see what the noise was, wasn't hard to figure out once i got the cover off. It appears that whoever was into this thing before didn't peen the clutch nut back in place. It appears that the nut backed out against the bearing in the cover and took out the bearing. Has anyone ever seen this before?

Also, since I'm going to be removing the centrifugal clutch, I figured I should atleast inspect the one way bearing since I am right there. The way I understand it, the bearing should only free spin one way and not the other. When I turn the bearing one way, it spins freely. When I spin it the other way, the crankshaft turns with it. Is this the correct function? I've never had any run ins before with the one way bearings in any of my machines so I want to make sure everything is kosher before I button the machine back up. Thanks!

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4393.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	205.2 KB 
ID:	261336

Name:	IMG_4394.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	171.0 KB 
ID:	261337

Name:	IMG_4395.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	171.3 KB 
ID:	261338

--
    Your description of how the one-way bearing works is correct. The bearing will be free in one direction, but grab in the other direction.
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

--
    There's a phrase that only works in a few conversations

"peen the clutch nut"

MrC.