//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Runs rich

--

Runs rich

Hey, guys
    I have an 1984 200es running very rich, smokes like its burning coal. smuts the plug, not wet like oil but dry smut black. I have cleaned the carb 3 times today.
    I have verified it is clean. I can turn the air fuel mix screw all the way in until it bottoms out, and it will still run! and still puff coal at any position.
    I checked the factory main jet is a 95. all passage ways are clear, the e-clip is on the 3rd notch. I have blown air through all of them and ran a wire also. I ran it with no air filter, no box just to lean it out, no help. It starts and idles, if you roll on the throttle slowly it does increase rpm but bogs under a load at half or more throttle.
    I checked the timing, and its spot on the pick-up is lined up with the button at F-T on the flywheel.
    Any thoughts, before I order a new carb or a shindy kit?

Thanks
    MrC.

--
    Well, I figured it out, with the help of a new friend, it seems the valves were out of adjustment (over tightened). I reset them to .006 and verified compression 151psi, she runs like a top now. revs hard and fast.
    Thank you again Daniel.
    MrC.

--
    See how sneaky these things are!! You thought it was the carb and it was the valves, crazy....
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    I've thought carb and it was CDI timing. At least you didn't spend anymore money on it before you got it figured out.

--
    350for350, I read a thread stating just that, I ran out and swapped in another coil, no change, I never would have thought it was the valves, rings maybe but not valves.

Good to know, I think on the next one, a full top to bottom check up will be in order (including valves).
    MrC.
    Last edited by MrConcdid; 01-20-2020 at 09:46 PM.

--
    They will run with the cam-to-crank timing off too. It runs great as far as I'm concerned.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //