//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sorry....Another 300r question

gimmeamidget is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

Sorry....Another 300r question

My cylinder measures 76.5. I located a 76.25 piston and rings as well as a 77 piston and rings. I bought both. My question is if I bore over to fit the 77 piston (I believe that’s the last bore) can I resleeve the cylinder and bore to 76.25? Where can I purchase a sleeve? I have searched and I can’t even see where one was ever available?

--
    Is LA sleeve not around anymore??

Anyone who does big bores or cylinder plating probably makes sleeves too.

Even guys that offer services on Ebay would be something to look into.
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

gimmeamidget is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Thanks ill try LA Sleeve....I thought they were the ones shaving the deck and using other pistons. Im really trying to keep it hondaline. Im not familiar with the process to replace the sleeve and I assumed I would need hondaline on it? thanks

--
    I just had an LA Sleeve pressed into my 85 R. They don't fully replace the factory iron bore. The factory bore is increased and the new sleeve is interference fit into the cylinder. Cheaper than an entire cylinder, but you get less hones/bores out of them. Kind of a catch 22. I haven't actually reassembled the engine yet so I don't have any input as far as performance or issues, but it looks like everything will be just fine. Comes down to preference, really.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    Is LA sleeve not around anymore??

Anyone who does big bores or cylinder plating probably makes sleeves too.

Even guys that offer services on Ebay would be something to look into.

Yes they are around. I use them almost exclusively.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    LA sleeve does have sleeves and will bore and fit the Hondaline piston. Thanks Dirtcrasher for the info!

--
    New 300r pistons are in the works from wossner there are facebook pages where people are keeping track of who needs which size over bore

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedbngr18 View Post
    I just had an LA Sleeve pressed into my 85 R. They don't fully replace the factory iron bore. The factory bore is increased and the new sleeve is interference fit into the cylinder. Cheaper than an entire cylinder, but you get less hones/bores out of them.
    This makes no sense to me. Why wouldn't the entire sleeve be replaced?
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    This makes no sense to me. Why wouldn't the entire sleeve be replaced?
    X2.....they have never done this with any of the 20 or so cylinders I have sent them.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    I've seen a few LA Sleeve jobs come back like that. I have an 85 cylinder that someone did the exact same thing to.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    I've seen a few LA Sleeve jobs come back like that. I have an 85 cylinder that someone did the exact same thing to.
    If that's the case, you might get 1 or 2 overbores out of the new sleeve, then it would be too thin in the exhaust bridge area, and it will start bowing out & gouging pistons when it gets hot. Nikasil is the way to go in my book!
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Finally getting around to assembling this kit and as I’m reading the instructions I see this...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D23FC6F3-6A6A-4495-BA96-9301B2026FC3.jpeg 
Views:	3 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	261655Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B0643CDC-2F6D-4619-866B-947A0E534DA8.jpeg 
Views:	4 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	261656my bike is an 81 and kits for an 83. I always thought the motors were basically the same? Can anyone confirm this kit should work on an 81? If not I would like to know the issue. Thanks

--
    The kit will bolt on your 81 .You may have to clearance a couple of the fins on the head to clear the frame.These kit were more or less designed for the 83-84 250r.The kit came with a 135 jet for the 30 mill keihin.81-84 250r motors are the same with the shifter shaft being only significant difference.
    250r rules

--
    Ok thanks for response.

--
    I just put a 300 kit on my 82 250R. You will have a clearance issue between the frame and center head fins. The clearance is fine once you get the head on, but it's getting the head on that is the challenge because the head studs are too tall. Rather than shave the central fins, I lowered the 3 studs in the front of the cylinder about 1/4 of an inch. This allows the head to slip on.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //