//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Atc 200

--

Atc 200

How hard is it to replace a piston in a 200? I’m interested in having a “newer” built engine in he trike cause I plan on using it a lot. Also should I consider replacing valves if they are still available for sale? I don’t have a new machine and would like to make the trike really reliable.

--
    Before tearing into it at all I would do a simple compression test. The 200’s were usually around 150psi factory so if you’re in the ballpark I’d say the top end is good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '85 200X - Basket case, bought as a pair for $300. Winter project?
    '85 250SX Survivor - Only changed rear tires and air filter.
    '85 250SX Mudder - 27" Tires, Snorkel, Disc Brakes, 200X Front
    '86 250ES - Old workhorse. Bought running and driving for $125

--
    I agree, no point in throwing money at a problem that doesn't exist. Check your valve clearances to make sure they are adjusted to spec, then do a compression test to see how the cylinder/top end health is. If it's low, then rebuild, if not, then run it till it's low.

Assuming by ATC 200 you have an actual ATC200 from 81-83 and not something else like a 200m, 200s etc the service manual says compression spec is 156psi +/- 14psi or 142-170psi.

If you don't already have the service manual, download it, it's chucked full of details.

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

Here's a screen shot of the service manual page with the compression spec and also includes the valve clearance specs.

--
    That makes sense. On this topic, is there a big bore kit available for these engines? And if so would it be much difference over stock performance ?

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //