//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Clymer 83-84 atc 250r Manual download?

--

Clymer 83-84 atc 250r Manual download?

Anyone have a link to download this manual? Found the Honda one, but wondering if the other one is available somewhere as well.

Thanks in advance .

--
    If you found Honda, what are you looking for out of Clymer?? They have different sections but most all is covered in the Honda Service manual...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    From my understanding (maybe I'm wrong?), but the aftermarket manuals are basically rewrote versions of the Honda manuals so why not go to the source? The actual instructions/steps on how to do a job might be done better in one vs the other, but any technical data I'd trust the Honda one more. I'm a detailed oriented person, so maybe that's why I prefer the stock manuals.

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

I think most people are the same way, they trust the manufacture to know their machine better than a 3rd party, so that's probably why the aftermarket manuals aren't circulated or scanned. Also, for copyright laws, actual tech details can't be copyrighted, like engine specs and such, but the format, actual printed book, etc is copyrighted. Anyone can roll their own service manual based on the OEM one as long as the images aren't stolen etc. I'm basically doing that on my atvmanual site (I have years of work to do to even come close to the full service manuals).

Anyway, what info are you trying to look up in the manual? Maybe you just need some help finding it in the Honda manual.

--
    There's nothing specific yet I'm looking for, just want to have all the info I can that's out there.

The honda one just feels like its lacking info or detail, or maybe missing info. Its for the 81-84 250rs, but mainly for the 81-82 with an addendum for the 83.

Not as detailed as an 250sx or 400ex manual i've used before.

I saw a facebook post about an 84r that had pics of a manual and it looked more detailed so that led me to post here to try and find all the info.

I cant upload the screenshots to give the example though.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, I'll post again if I need anything specific.

--
    FYI, the section isn't bookmarked in the manual, but there's an 83-84 addendum too after the 83 one (section 18 is doubled up with both versions). That second section should be the most accurate and complete for 83 and 84 since it's the most recent publication.

It starts at page 258.
    https://i.gyazo.com/7161c35fb10c2bde...a7f9ba28da.png

Just to be clear, an addendum is basically logging the changes from the "base" model. So in your context, you'd attempt to lookup the thing you want to know how to do, or the info you want in the addendum first, if it doesn't exist there, then it's the same details as the 81-82 machine. Based on the introduction, if a person has an 83, they'd want to check both addendums.

Can you give an example what's lacking in the manual vs the 250sx or 400ex? The addendum style seems to have went away around 1985 where they just made new books with the updated year ranges with the new info. Like first year 250sx the manual would just say it's for 1985. Next year they'd publish a book that's for 1985-1986, then after that the final revision would be 1985-1987. Generally any "reprints" would be the 1985-1987 version since it should be the most accurate, up to date, and complete version. Before that, the original 1985 manual wouldn't be republished, only the changes published in the addendums. I suspect that's to keep prices down for their dealerships, the books take up less space that way, etc.

The 250r manuals are missing a couple things, like hp and torque specs, but I think this was a marketing choice or something like that. Most newer machines don't have that info any more for some reason.

I wonder what manual you saw pics of and what the details looked like. More details is always nice, but they do need to be accurate too. Like some of the wire diagrams I don't agree with how they are presented in some manual books. Might just be me, but one little thing that bugs me is they label the green wire as "Dark Green" as if it's forest green, but it's just normal green. Light green is more of a lime green color which I'm guessing the aftermarket manuals would call just green. I also find it kind of funny a lot of manuals are black and white only when there would be a fair advantage to having them in color, even just for the photos, but it goes back to economics, color is more expensive.

Might be funny, but here's an example of a spec I've been working with lately for my site. Dry weight.

85-87 atc250sx manual coverage is pretty good, I suspect 86 and 87 should weight the same since not much changed.

the 250r manual is not as easy as that, but the info is there.

84 (same as 83, but it does validate it)

Also, to validate those numbers, I try to reference the sales brochures.

83 - 293.3lb (133kg converts to 293.2lb so seems accurate enough to me)
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/Brochur...83atc250r.html

84 - 133kg
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/Brochur...atc250ri2.html

I have found conflicting info using this method, then I have to figure out which one is the accurate number. A lot of the times I see the year before's weight for example put on the sale brochure while say the service manual gives a lighter spec, but the year before they match up perfectly. I recently bought a ton of spec books that are just full of specs, no other info. I suspect those should be the most accurate for that kind of info but gives me a 3rd point to valid numbers with.

I've seen the conflicts on dimension numbers and float height too. Like the 73-84 ATC70 shop manual is wrong for the float height spec atleast for 81-84 and instead uses the 85 spec. 20mm vs 10.7mm. Maybe the way to measure the height changed, or the orig carb was 20mm and the later model carb (PB38A) was 10.7mm. I'll know for sure once I get the spec books to compare.

Mistakes like that aren't super common but they exist. I found the Yamaha identification manual had more mistakes, clearly a copy/paste and didn't update correctly type of errors. Like the VIN number for a 1997 machine used the year code for 1996, easy for me to fix but I found like 3 or 4 of the same type of mistake in the book... unless the actual vins used in production had the mistake, but then it would break the vin standard and it seems like they would have had a lot more problems.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt39 View Post
    Anyone have a link to download this manual? Found the Honda one, but wondering if the other one is available somewhere as well.

Thanks in advance .
    Check your PM's

--
    ^ MIKE use to be around all the time and helped many of us, hope all is well Mike!!
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Thanks for all the help guys. All the info is great. MunroeMike helped me out with the Clymer's manual so I have both for any future trouble shooting, but I know where to come if I get stumped

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //