//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Astro conversion caliper ID

--

Astro conversion caliper ID

Has anyone ever seen one of these calipers? Does anyone know what pads might fit? I always thought Astro conversions used Suzuki parts but the spindle and brake sure aren't. Don't want to switch spindles if i don't have to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200204_154538.jpg   20200204_172126.jpg   20200204_172134.jpg  

--
    Those look kind of like Airheart calipers. They use them on racing gocarts and motorcycles from back then until now

The "Hurst/Airheart" calipers had fins all over them and had "H/A" on one side but were that general shape. I used one on a chopper I built long ago and I think I recall they had a plain Airheart caliper model with no fins for race carts.

As I recall, the pads were Airheart as well specifically for that caliper. I'm pretty sure they are still in biz. Might not hurt to email them those pics and ask before you take my word for truth, though

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    So you are just looking for pads for those calipers ? If so post a pic of the pads.
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    Look in here.....

http://rt21trading.com/catalog/index...oduct_id=30669

--
    Thanks for the tip. I haven't been able to find an airheart caliper that looks like but it got me to looking into karting supplies and brake pads. Unfortunately the pads were missing when I bought the machine. I took the caliper apart and it looks like the Piston is still good. If I can find some pads for it I still might be able to use it. Thanks, Brad
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200206_183921.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	261569

--
    Quote Originally Posted by dieseldigger View Post
    ..... If I can find some pads for it I still might be able to use it....
    Yeah I looked around in quite a few places and found no exact match to the one you have. When I was looking, I found that place in the link and noticed that they were Kelsey Hayes pads used in Airheart which got me to thinking that maybe you can try and match an existing Kelsey Hayes offering if you knew there general shape of the pad and how it mounts. Sucks that they were missing.

I believe the company that made those conversion kits is still in business and it's called Hi Performance ATV.(Someone correct me if I'm wrong). You might try emailing them and asking about it

I have a PDF of their 9 page Astro conversion catalog and it lists their Astro part number for those pads but no cross-reference to a manufactures part number (I'm sure HPA didn't make their own pads back then but would have used a pad manufacturer and they probably would've picked a common size/design used by other companies for economic reasons)

--
    Also, since there are no holes for pad mounting pins, they look like a rectangle shaped pad was used since you would need a way to hold the pad in the caliper. The only way to do that without pins, is for the pad backing to sit in those rectangle shaped recesses in each side of that caliper

--
    How long/tall are the spots for the pads. If it came down to it you could just make a set of pads work from something else with a grinder and a drill
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //