//ArrowChat Code

Upcoming Events for the Next 120 Day(s)

Thread: 200 Big Red fork Bushings

ArizonaATC is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

200 Big Red fork Bushings

...since my front fork guide bushing and springs are shot on my big red(surprise) I think I'm going to take them apart and try to remake the bushings(not sold anymore) out of brass on a lathe. Has anyone tried such a thing or am I going into uncharted waters? I can see why this wouldn't work, the brass is softer material than the forks, which I assume is made of high quality chromium alloy..I'd just bore the bushing out .002 bigger than the OD of the fork for a nice sliding fit

The spring are also shot, perhaps I could make some "Spacers" to install to get a little spring back...

Any ideas or experiences on this?

ATC King is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    The part number for the fork slider bushings, which are plastic, is 51221-958-683. They are still available, in the US.

The 200E/ES forks are the worst design Honda had, because they are not the typical hydraulic forks, but a unsealed, dry fork with a independent hydraulic damper. They are very prone to wear and water ingress.

The fork legs themselves are very thinly chromed wear quickly.

You best option is to retrofit ATC200M forks. If you want to keep the ATC200E/ES headlight and rack, you'll have to weld mounts to the 200M forks.

The other 185S/200S/200M forks don't even have bushings in the sliders. The forks ride on bare aluminum and when that's worn out, they're junk. It'd be an expensive process to bore and install custom bushings in them. Far more costs than the whole trike's worth.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    The part number for the fork slider bushings, which are plastic, is 51221-958-683. They are still available, in the US.

The 200E/ES forks are the worst design Honda had, because they are not the typical hydraulic forks, but a unsealed, dry fork with a independent hydraulic damper. They are very prone to wear and water ingress.

The fork legs themselves are very thinly chromed wear quickly.

You best option is to retrofit ATC200M forks. If you want to keep the ATC200E/ES headlight and rack, you'll have to weld mounts to the 200M forks.

The other 185S/200S/200M forks don't even have bushings in the sliders. The forks ride on bare aluminum and when that's worn out, they're junk. It'd be an expensive process to bore and install custom bushings in them. Far more costs than the whole trike's worth.
    Thanks for the reply!

I have since disassembled the forks since my original post, the top of the fork sliders where the boots clamp to, are mostly rusted through, I managed to get what was left of the nylon bushings out, I got the top .800 length bushing, and the middle 2.800 in length out, I plan to cut the top .600 '' off the top of the fork slider to get to good material, I will make a "all in one" roto casting bushing with a flange for the fork boots to clamp into again, so the flange style bushing in total, will be 3.600, 3'' of it will be light press fitted into the slider tube and .600 will stick out as a flange for the boot to clamp too, here's a drawing I sketched up, I'm going to toss some stock in the lathe come Monday and see how these work out, will update later this week....I will add some pictures in a minute below...

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0221.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	261738

Name:	IMG_0223.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	261739

Name:	IMG_0222.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	261740

I have only a rough measurement of the slider ID(somewhere around 1.700) , I will measure it more accurately when I get into the shop monday, but the plan is for a light press fit of the bushing into the slider.. I'm making the flange .135 thou wider than the OD of the slider so if in the future if the bushings wear, I can get a grip on them in the press to remove. Roto casting is dry self lubricating with graphite, so I''m hoping these bushings last a long time.
    Last edited by ArizonaATC; 02-22-2020 at 02:59 PM.

--
    Revised edition lol:

Name:	IMG_0225.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	261737

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //