//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 84 250r headlights ans tail lights instantly blow

--

84 250r headlights ans tail lights instantly blow

hey guys looking for help diagnosing electrical problem with an 84 250r. Just got the trike and the headlight came on when I started it then blew almost instantly, I was missing taillight and got one, hooked it up and the same thing happened. Im thinking I need a new voltage regulator but have not tested wires yet. no short that I can see but the one female inserts for headlight seems to be burnt abit and appears to have slightly meltedClick image for larger version. 

Name:	D653C58A-4504-45A4-A92E-65BA73D502FA.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	261743
    Last edited by 3wheelz; 02-22-2020 at 05:03 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 3wheelz View Post
    ..... Just got the trike and the headlight came on when I started it then blew almost instantly, I was missing taillight and got one, hooked it up and the same thing happened.
    Can't say for certain on a 84 250R, but on an 84 200X if you don't have both headlight and tailight bulbs hooked up at the same time, the one hooked up would blow out immediately I think our 200S did the same thing too.

The bulbs themselves do the voltage regulating to each other and if one is out, the voltage to the other is too high and it blows

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Awesome, thanks for the reply. waiting on new headlight bulbs and will try when both bulbs are hooked up at same time. Thanks again, will let u know

--
    Got new bulbs, that was the issue, thanks again! New member, bin reading the forums for a while. Great site

--
    Thanks for the report back, wanted to validate, the lights are the regulator, have to match the wattage draw of what the max the stator can put out or it goes over voltage and blows the bulbs =). Lots of machines are like this, just a quick list off the top of my head.

atc70
    atc90
    atc110
    atc200/s/185/x
    atc250r (81-84, pretty sure 85+ got a voltage regulator and a higher output stator)

Pretty much, if it don't have a battery, generally speaking it doesn't have a voltage regulator except the higher end models like the 350x, newer 250r, maybe the newer 200x (86-87).

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //