//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 185s rear aftermarket suspension

--

Question 185s rear aftermarket suspension

Hello fellow 3 wheeler riders. New to the forum and have a question. Some background first. Bought a 83 185s new in 83. Somewhere around 86 I installed a rear suspension kit on it. Can't remember who made it and there are no makers Mark's any of the components. It's gold anodized finished with a two stage coilover shock with blue and white springs. Issue now is the bushings have shelled on the shock ex exand are in need of replacement. Thinking of taking it to a suspension shop to see if new bushings can be pressed in, assuming the right size is available. Any thoughts?

--
    Shock sounds like a Works Shock.
    Post a pic of the swing arm. Most in likely the mfg no longer exist.
    There is a member on here who sells bushing and can probably help.
    Good Luck!
    * 1978 ATC 90/180 Pauter PJ1 / Springer "Team BAPP" Bike *

* 1980 ATC 110/180 "Danny's Machine Works" 3D Sprint Dune Bike *

* Nicholson 500 Race Bike *

* HPATC Yamaha RD350 "Big Moe" Trike *

--
    [QUOTE=agedatc;1506256]Hello fellow 3 wheeler riders. New to the forum and have a question. Some background first. Bought a 83 185s new in 83. Somewhere around 86 I installed a rear suspension kit on it. Can't remember who made it and there are no makers Mark's any of the components. It's gold anodized finished with a two stage coilover shock with blue and white springs. Issue now is the bushings have shelled on the shock ex exand are in need of replacement. Thinking of taking it to a suspension shop to see if new bushings can be pressed in, assuming the right size is available. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

--
    Is that top eye hole oblong or round? I can't tell if it's an optical illusion from my phone.

Someone here can make bushings. You might try BKM. He makes alot of Delrin swingarm bushings for sale. I also machine for a living so I know those bushings can be easily made from Delrin or oilite bronze for that application.

What did they old bushings look like or what were they made of?

Your shock looks like a Works shock. You must've put a nice kit on that 185

Love to see pics of that suspended 185. Don't get to see too many of those

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    Is that top eye hole oblong or round? I can't tell if it's an optical illusion from my phone.

Someone here can make bushings. You might try BKM. He makes alot of Delrin swingarm bushings for sale. I also machine for a living so I know those bushings can be easily made from Delrin or oilite bronze for that application.

What did they old bushings look like or what were they made of?

Your shock looks like a Works shock. You must've put a nice kit on that 185

Love to see pics of that suspended 185. Don't get to see too many of those

Thanks for your input. After looking at the pic I posted, I see your point. The eye holes are both round and identically sized. The bushing material was brittle and cracked into several pieces. Looked to be a hard nylon type material or similar.
    The kit is a nice conversion but does have a weak link, which is the swingarm pivot bolt and mounting plates. It's a 3/8 bolt and over time it wallowed out the two mounting plates. Had to have it welded up and redrill the holes. Also put a Terry kit on the front to increase travel to 5in.
    Just got it out of 12 yrs. Storage in January. I pulled the carb off of a 200x and rebuilt it and it's working really well.
    Attached a couple pics but they're not great. Might notice the tank is off of a 84 200s, as well as the foot pegs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

--
    Yes someone here can definitely make what you need. They would probably need to have the shock in hand unless you have good calipers to measure the ID of the eye, and the width of the eye, then also measure in between the two plates on the swingarm that the shock bolts up in between.

You might also have luck at that suspension shop you mentioned

Last edited by ironchop; 02-24-2020 at 07:33 PM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //