//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Selling in Classifieds Section Vs. EBay

--

Selling in Classifieds Section Vs. EBay

I’ve noticed not much gets posted in the classifieds on this site. Is that because everyone is posting on eBay to sell at inflated prices? Or is there not much of a market on this forum?

Asking for a friend
    - 85 ATC250R
    - 85 ATC350X
    - 87 XR200R
    - 00 XR200R (outfitted with long travel suspension)
    - 05 CRF80F
    - 08 DS250

--
    There's a market but the lack of traffic here compared to 8 years ago or further back is probably why ppl don't post stuff in there as much anymore.

Facebook marketplace seems to be the preferred choice for many people that already have Facebook. I don't anymore so I couldn't say now for sure, but years ago when I did, there was a thriving parts niche on there. Lots of scammers to, though.

eBay is where you sell if you're trying to get top dollar for trike stuff, it seems. I've quit shopping there for parts in most cases because of the prices being much higher than elsewhere and the meaning of the words "mint" or "good shape" for some people is different for me, if you get my drift.... lol

There is a market here, but alot of members don't check in daily and when you don't get a response to your post from anyone for your parts in a week or two, you probably have moved on to greener pastures

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    I can say this about that...I trust more guys on here than anywhere else. There is a bit more honor in our small Community, prices may equal that of FB. Not on there but they say it’s a good search forum for niche items and rare items.

--
    not much takes place because the younger kids are all on FB, that has started a new cult. Ebay will always get what you have gone. However most of us know on here whats its really worth are will not loose our shorts over it. I post things fs and wanted here still. It has netted with with ZERO results over the last 24 months. I still have hope if i need somthing someone has squired away semi close I can grab it. I use to sell tons of stuff on here 7-10 years ago...i mean it moving like no tomorrow!

--
    It’s so frustrating that ‘book marketplace is where the action is. I will not join. Guess I’ll forever be stuck with the slim pickings on CL.

--
    Yea there's a ton of stuff on FB, a lot super high priced though, atleast to my standards. Rider condition 350x's people are trying to sell for $3500... something like 6 years ago there was quite a few listed in my area for $600-1500. I looked at the $600 one, claimed to be running etc, frozen throttle cable, wouldn't start, ended up walking on it because I wanted a 350x I could ride, probably should have bought it though.

I've bought I think only one thing off this site, a 350x engine $400 shipped. I've sold a few parts though, like 10ish including an ATC90 engine. Never had problems with scammers on here, not sure how bad the scam problem is on facebook, hopefully I won't find out though.

Anyway, lately I've been noticing there's more wanted listings in the 3ww section, probably not a bad route to post what you want and hopefully someone has to sell.

--
    I refuse to use FB for one simple reason... I don’t want to give every Tom, Dick, & Harry the opportunity to go through my FB page to see pics from of my wife and kids and/or go through post or friends post to see what I have and find out where I live to come steal my stuff.

When I use CL, I meet people up the road. I use eBay to sell because the platform is so large, but hate paying the fees which is partly driving the inflation.

Having been involved in RC race boats for the last decade, the respective forums for each style of boat (gas, nitro, electric) have good activity for buying and selling.

Since getting back into riding the past year, I’ve collected some parts I no longer need and will be listing them up here when time allows. But for me, it’s hard to determine a good value when I’ve been purchasing in an inflated market. I’m always prepared to take a 20% loss, mainly because it’s a hobby for me. I’m not in it to flip trike parts and make a dollar.
    - 85 ATC250R
    - 85 ATC350X
    - 87 XR200R
    - 05 CRF80F
    - 08 DS250

--
    you can join facebook just to buy a sell, if your uploading pics of everything or our life thats your fault. I only signed up to buy or sell somthing. I've move some items but its harder due to its mostly kids selling somthing that really is not theirs or dad says no your not selling that. once you hit the guys in the 30's+ theres a better chance you can buy somthing and acutly go get it. i buy alot of blasters and 250x/300ex off facebook. no ones going to sell on CL anymore due to paying fees. If you dont change with the times alittle your going to never get anymore toys unless buing new from dealer...which is fine! I want a kodiak 700 next

--
    Anyone who joins Facebook, let's Zuckerberg buy and sell your personal information, no matter how little you think it is. No way around that no matter how smart you think you are

I don't belong to Facebook because I'm not some guy who thinks that dick selling my information and spying on me and not giving me any money for it, is ok long as I get muh bent blaster frames

I have a garage FULL of toys. I've built several trikes, cars, trucks, bikes, quads, etc. .... All of it without that chump a** Facebook.... Not even one part did I get from there ever.

Jesus the dumb sh*t you hear in here just blows my mind

--
    I am a hoarder by nature so I look here, CL, and facebook.

People here are somewhat vetted so buying and selling is relatively safe. The classifieds here are good, but not much activity. If you use search feature with a keyword, you can see all the want ads posted over the past decade in five minutes.

CL was my main go to for buying and selling and never had many issues. I used search tempest but google screwed with the format a few years back so now it is a pain to search with multiple keywords on Tempest.

Facebook is a free for all and while I have made a few sales, but it is a PIA to deal with people that click still available or offer a third of asking price before even seeing the item for themselves.
    I have a trike up for sale now and two guys less then a couple hours away from me claim they are showing up this weekend and the machine has been up for 5 weeks. Hate to say I get more people asking if I am selling this or that simply because they see it in the corner of a picture for item that IS listed for sale. My reply is do you care about the thing I listed or not? but now I simply tell them that item they asked about already sold!
    Scammers seem to flock on Facebook so no matter what I post up I meet up at a public place as opposed to my garage. Wife sells knock knacks on Facebook and I get upset when she lets people come to our home for a 20 dollar trinket, but vases or artwork is different then offering up a US 90 or an ATC 70.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    Anyone who joins Facebook, let's Zuckerberg buy and sell your personal information, no matter how little you think it is. No way around that no matter how smart you think you are

I don't belong to Facebook because I'm not some guy who thinks that dick selling my information and spying on me and not giving me any money for it, is ok long as I get muh bent blaster frames

I have a garage FULL of toys. I've built several trikes, cars, trucks, bikes, quads, etc. .... All of it without that chump a** Facebook.... Not even one part did I get from there ever.

It's a lot of work, but you can use all fake info on facebook and not let them track you. Here's a few things you need.

Prepaid Cellphone, only need for account activation
    Proxy to mask your ip address (location info)
    Always browse the site with the proxy. About the only thing they can log if you do it right is your active times, and the cell number you're required to provide.
    Always use "inprivate" browsing mode

As an extra added bonus, you could run a virtual machine so the whole computer that fb could even try to access has no info about you. Just don't do general browsing in the vm.

FYI, Twitter, Google (Youtube, Chrome), Microsoft (Windows, Xbox), etc all sell your data, heck fair chances your own ISP is selling your data (my old isp did), read the private policy, if it mentions anything about a 3rd party, your info is shared/sold. I don't think Mozilla does that yet, but I haven't read their TOS/private policy either. Duckduckgo claims to not collect private data for a search engine. It's really hard to not have a ton of tracking stuff on you.

Oh, USPS also sells your data when you move, and it's required to file a move of address with them to get mail at the new address too, when I moved Lowes started sending me spam about my new house. Any store asking for your phone number or address is looking to either market data to you or sell the info.

For an all on one solution on the web, you could grab tails and use the TOR network, but it's a pain since the network is used for abuse a lot too, but that routes you through 4 proxies, all encrypted, only the exit node sees your traffic/data if you're not on a https site (like 3ww). Make sure to have javascript disabled as that can leak ip info, and incorrectly setup proxies can leak your ip via dns lookups. Of course, something like 30-40% of the exit nodes are government owned, so in the right situations they can track the traffic yet.

Facebook has my name, and a fresh cell phone number. I didn't give them my address etc. I know how to avoid their tracking cookies and such, so I'm not super worried about what they know about me. I use a pc though, no gps signal etc to deal with. I agree, I'd love to have the option to opt out of selling my data on the tons of sites that do that stuff. Oh, also another FYI, if you're a registered voter, you're info is also being sold. All of those political calls are sourced from the phone number you provided when you registered to vote.

https://www.ncsl.org/research/electi...ion-lists.aspx

I've made a habit since around 2010ish. If a site doesn't need to know my info, I give junk info. Like if an address was required on facebook, I'd give them something like 123 Main St, Midland MI, 48640. It's near me, but doesn't define my actual house. If they validate the address, I just look up a real one on google maps. Same for stores asking for a phone number, I just give them a junk number that my whole family uses. This doesn't work when the number is validated like with facebook or a google account. I haven't had a spam call in years, I get about 1-2 junk mail a week from like 3 companies (one is my old ISP, go figure eh?).

Hopefully this info was interesting/useful for someone.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    you can join facebook just to buy a sell, if your uploading pics of everything or our life thats your fault. I only signed up to buy or sell somthing.
    I have a hard time finding fault because I have pictures of my wife & kids up there, along with pics from riding with friends, 4th of July cookouts, drag racing with my dad, etc... I don’t post pictures of my address, but a good thief can do enough poking to figure out where I live and steal my stuff... All because I was trying to sell something for $50. A separate account just for selling isn’t a bad idea though.
    - 85 ATC250R
    - 85 ATC350X
    - 87 XR200R
    - 05 CRF80F
    - 08 DS250

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post

I think it took an email address and maybe a phone number to sign up, if he wants to sell the fact that I liked a trike page or Metallica, so be it.
    - 85 ATC250R
    - 85 ATC350X
    - 87 XR200R
    - 05 CRF80F
    - 08 DS250

--
    For those worried about people seeing all your personal stuff on FB marketplace, they now have it to where if a person looking at your item on MP clicks on your profile pic it will only show them activity you've had on MP. They could still go to the search bar though on regular FB and type in your name and match profile pics so....yeah.
    Yes, you can polish a turd!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //