//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 81-83 185s seat pan, are there any options left?

--

81-83 185s seat pan, are there any options left?

I have had my 185s for almost 20 years, I have always kept it indoors when not being ridden, of all my trikes its the one I have kept so long because it is almost 100% in tact. Now that I want to start getting the parts I need to restore it, I find I can’t get my hands on a good replacement metal seat pan, and it looks like nobody makes any plastic repro pans anymore either(if they ever did?). The one or two I can find online are rusted or repaired, and they still want $300 for them. I have read some posts about them being made with fiberglass, but these posts are really old and don’t have any follow up. At this point, unless I can find a solution for this, I doesn’t seem worth it to buy fenders, seat cover, foam etc., not to mention the seat pan is what (used to) hold the fenders/seat to the frame! Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

--
    Nature of the beast.

The Achilles heel of 185 ownership or an opportunity for someone to reproduce steel pans and hopefully, at least, recoup initial production costs.

Your best option is repairing what you already have. I've done it, and have another one munched on by metal worms that I'll also repair best I can.

I like them better than the 200S design though, for cleaning and servicing reasons.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Thank you for your reply. The unfortunate fact is that I don't believed there is even enough of this old pan left to even think of repairing it, or I would have by now. The pan is also now completely missing the entire front part which has (had) the 2 cups which slide over the rubber caps and hold the seat/fenders down in the front. I just don't know what my approach should be, whether I should try WestSystem epoxy and fiberglass cloth, or somehow figure a way to make one out of metal again.(which seems tricky since the original was stamped. Maybe somewhat "hardened" steel sheet can be cut, or notched, in certain places and then welded back together after bending. Or maybe shaped and then "tempered afterwards?) Either way, sounds like it will be a challenge.

--
    However you repair, rebuild, or build a new one, I'm sure a lot of people would like to see it.

You've seen some of the dead end threads that leave people hanging.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

JustEnough is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I have five 185s that are riders and I use quality outdoor rated plywood. It is pretty dry here in California, so I did not even bother to paint them. I cut a rectangle for the maximum length and width and then I taper it down narrower near the tank with a jigsaw. I then router a radius on top because those sharp edges are uncomfortable. On smooth roads, the plywood is pretty comfortable by itself...without seatfoam...reminds me of my racing bike.
    Last edited by JustEnough; 07-17-2020 at 07:00 PM.

--
    That is certainly a great way to be able get out and ride, but this bike is getting restored, so I think eventually I will have to use fiberglass or sheet metal.

--
    Here is a restored/rebuilt one I had done several years ago. Turned out pretty good. Still have the contact. Attached a few more images when I had them listed F/S here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0410.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	263651   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0412.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	263652   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0411.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	263653   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51 - zXQns2o_wl.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	263654   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	48 - zh47Ofb_wl.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	263655   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05 - LtYw6j6_wl.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	263656  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01 - 4RjN6fk_wl.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	263657  
    Last edited by RapidRick; 07-18-2020 at 11:46 AM. Reason: More images
    Have '85 350X-XR500 Hybrid,
    Had Nicholson framed: 90/110, 185s, Gen I 500, Gen II 500