//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Watercooled 2nd gen 250r

gaby is offline New to the board Arm chair racerNew to the board
    --

Watercooled 2nd gen 250r

I would like to see pictures of 1st and 2nd gen atc 250r with watercooled setup! I am working on a 83r with a 83 cr250 engine and I have a dg watercooled head going on my a 82r for my next project. Looking for ideas !

--
    Here is my 84 with a DG water cooled head. I kept the stock look but it has got some trick parts, a Westcoast swingarm, Bassani Jimmy White replica pipe, fork brace, Nasa extended axle, a homemade boost bottle, etc. The pictures were taken at different times as it has progressed, so not every picture will have all the parts. The DG head makes a big improvement performance-wise.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	84 ATC 250R.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	423.3 KB 
ID:	261785Click image for larger version. 

Name:	84 ATC 250R w Jimmy White Replica Pipe 6.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	482.1 KB 
ID:	261786Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191024_173718.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	495.5 KB 
ID:	261787

--
    Quote Originally Posted by christph View Post
    Here is my 84 with a DG water cooled head.
    DAYUM!

That thing is badass.

Nice build, sir!

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Here is my 84 with a DG water cooled head. I kept the stock look but it has got some trick parts, a Westcoast swingarm, Bassani Jimmy White replica pipe, fork brace, Nasa extended axle, a homemade boost bottle, etc. The pictures were taken at different times as it has progressed, so not every picture will have all the parts. The DG head makes a big improvement performance-wise.

Wow! Always liked the lines of gen2 the best. Are the graphics original, and how about that headlight?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

--
    Nice set up!! My first build was a 2nd gen, they look very good IMO. At that time I couldnt afford a 3rd gen, so I though about making it watercooled. Thats when I found out about cammex,DG, and honda works trikes. I bought a dg head and a cr 1980 cylinder that I wanted to machine to fit the atc engine base and in the process, I found a 83 cr250r for sale locally. When I first looked at it I noticed the chain on the right side and how the engine mounts looked close to the atc engine. Bingo ! Had a extra 83 frame in the shop so I put it in and it fits really good ! Almost like honda made it to fit. Spacer 8mm for the bottom mount, 12mm spacers for the swingarm using the cr engine to swingarm bolt bracket. Only thing that required more work was the front mount. Few hours on the mill and i was done ! Now next step is radiator mount and kickstarter. I really want to do tje radiator on the lower right side like the honda works bike and the tigers. But I cant find good pictures of one !! I was always amazed by the air to watercooled conversions. Any picture,set ups and ideas are welcome !!

--
    I would pay good money for that swingarm haha very nice piece! The forks brace is really nice too, I might make a few of those for my trikes!

6bt is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

Does the water cooled head help with performance?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

--
    Very nice bike christph.

Gaby, if u make or start searching for a fork brace just a heads up- the 83-87 200x are the same braces as the 83-84 250r
    Even though they have different part#’s I figure this may help in your search- they don’t last long on eBay but they do show up every 2-3yrs it seems-

Name:	DFD2EB92-1B8B-4464-A48E-B7DEF41C8CCE.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1,019.0 KB 
ID:	261797

Shep

--
    Thanks for the info ! Nasa will be a new brand to look for on ebay. I have a +6 axle on my 83, never knew the brand. Maybe it is a nasa. Keep coming with the rare trick stuff!!

--
    A member here hostilerob makes a brace similar to the Nasa one not as tall.hostilracing Click image for larger version. 

Name:	200X brace 3 (1).jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	261798 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	200X brace 7.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	261799
    250r rules

--
    I have a DG sunburst head it makes a difference over stock.I would like to get water cooled head aswell.I would like to get the odyssey water cooled head and have it setup to use on my 300r. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8561.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	261800 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8560.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	261801
    250r rules

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atc300r View Post
    I have a DG sunburst head it makes a difference over stock.I would like to get water cooled head aswell.I would like to get the odyssey water cooled head and have it setup to use on my 300r. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8561.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	261800 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8560.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	261801
    I actually bought a fl250 watercooled head a guy makes and sells on ebay to work with cr250 1980 cylinder. Im sure it woundlnt need much to fit his fl350 watercooled head on your 300 since it is the same bolt pattern. The fl250, 1980 cr cylinder and the atc all have different bolt patterns. The picture you posted is it on a 300 cylinder? Do you know the brand ?

--
    Thanks guys. To answer your questions, yes the graphics are original. I got my 84R from a collector a few years ago. It was stock and in great condition. Since then I've been on the search for old school aftermarket parts. Regarding the DG water cooled head, it's a significant performance upgrade. I had a DG gold head installed for a while and that was an improvement over stock, but this is much better. The thermosyphone system really does work. With the gold head I had a problem with heat fade, even using a pump and race gas mix. The water cooled head keeps the temperatures lower and more even.

--
    Thanks guys. To answer your questions, yes the graphics are original. I got my 84R from a collector a few years ago. It was stock and in great condition. Since then I've been on the search for old school aftermarket parts. Regarding the DG water cooled head, it's a significant performance upgrade. I had a DG gold head installed for a while and that was an improvement over stock, but this is much better. The thermosyphone system really does work. With the gold head I had a problem with heat fade, even using a pump and race gas mix. The water cooled head keeps the temperatures lower and more even.
    Is there a one way valve somewhere in the cooling system ?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    Is there a one way valve somewhere in the cooling system ?
    No, no one way valve. It just relies on the principle that hot water rises and cold water sinks. When I first got it I wondered if it would actually circulate, and it does. The hot water rises from the front of the head to the top of the radiator, and the cooler water flows from the bottom of the radiator to the back of the head. The temperature difference between the hoses is significant. After doing some research I learned early cars and tractors worked on the same principle--they didn't have water pumps.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //