//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 83 Honda v45 sabre electrical smoke

--

83 Honda v45 sabre electrical smoke

Got it home and had it running and the 3 hello wires coming to voltage regulator started smoking. Went to unplug the connector and the 3 wires pulled sure out after partially melting the connector.. What would cause the smoke .
    our original 85 we bought new, 2 - 86 police specials
    250r dust runner
    04 Yamaha kodiaK 450 snowbuster ! Brute Force 750 dust collector .
    Bunch of es stuff I been buying for next builds....
    Gone but lives on in my aching body the mighty 350x collection . A Beat 85 es im gonna rebuild

--
    Loose and bad connections build heat, it's that simple.

Pretty common. I've seen a couple like that myself on older Japanese bikes. Stator charging systems pump full power all the time, with the regulator/rectifiers job to dump any not used to ground, which is why they get so stinking hot.

If the regulator isn't damaged, you can buy a new connector and terminals to redo that connection proper on both sides. If the regulator is caput, you'll only need to redo the stator side terminals and connector because the new regulator will come with new ones.

There are several vendors online to get the terminals and connectors from.
    http://www.cycleterminal.com/
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (2).jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	275.2 KB 
ID:	261858

https://newmotorcycleparts.net/elect...onnectors.html
    http://vintageconnections.com/Products/Connectors
    https://www.z1enterprises.com/electr...tors-wire.html

Besides that, make sure there aren't any bare wires and shorts.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    I soldered the lines together and started it up. wires don't get that warm but the volt regulator gets very hot sitting idling for about 5 min... the voltage going into the battery tested across the terminals is 14.3 volt....does this seen high ?
    250r dust runner
    Gone but lives on in my aching body the mighty 350x collection . A Beat 85 es im gonna rebuild

--
    14 is normal charging voltage. regulators do get hot. if you find the heat concerning you could get something called thermal paste and put it on the back of the regulator where it touches the frame (metal to metal) to aid in heat transfer. it’s made for computers but works on anything metal. i’ve used it for the same application before- regulator to frame.

--
    Previously got hot enuff to melt the seat base.
    250r dust runner

--
    I do not know how hot is too hot, it could have been caused by the old wires, I would think if your voltage is right then the unit is working. But I am not an expert. If it wasn’t working voltage would be inconsistent, check voltage while giving it some throttle. bulbs would go also bad if the unit isn’t working

--
    Only light working is headlight and tail light. Speedo and tack don't work either not do turn signals. I found a receipt where owner put 1200 $ onto the electrical system...
    250r dust runner

--
    Did it melt the seat base or is it metal rubbing against plastic that looks like melting?

Not that it couldn't have gotten that hot. During normal use they can get too hot to touch by hand.

14.3V is good. Anything lower than 14V is too low, and over 15V, too high. That is simple 12V lead acid characteristics and nothing specific to the bike. If it's a bike you're keeping, a handlebar mounted volt meter is a very good idea. Older bikes tend to have more cantankerous charging systems as wiring and components are...vintage.

I didn't think of simply soldering the wires together for a cheap fix. That's certainly the best connection you'll ever have there.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by dustrunner View Post
    I found a receipt where owner put 1200 $ onto the electrical system...

The reality of owning a vintage bike. The 1980's V4 war was cool, and that's a cool bike.

--
    Melted seat base. Got it running ok. Got the lightsworking along with tack. Speedo still not working and I see it's electrical.so I'm lost.
    250r dust runner

--
    either an issue with the speedometer unit itself, a wire or wires somewhere along the line, the sensor on the front wheel or the box assembly that the sensor is attached to; including but not limited to the gear inside of it.
    i’m just guessing based on the parts schematics

--
    Can I take the assembly apart with the little screws at the axle and clean it or something ?
    250r dust runner

--
    Attachment 262000
    I would check that everything is there and in good shape

--
    Got fairing off. Took plug apart and greased it. Still nothing. Anyone had the bottom connector apart . ?
    250r dust runner

--
    Have you search for V45/V65 forums and a reference to speedometer testing?

They were/are popular bikes. It seems like there should be a forum for them.

The mechanical drive is easy enough to test after removing the sensor unit. If the drive spins when the wheel spins, it's good. Probably put a little force on it with a finger to make sure the gears aren't just spinning from friction but are actually done for.

The sensor should have some electrical specifications, like resistance. It's probably a hall effect sensor, which would produce a voltage you could check while spinning the wheel. The specs are probably out there, in the interwebs.

I'd start there before questioning the speedometer unit itself. That sensor being low like that, could be susceptible to water and corrosion. I wouldn't t be at all surprised if they have a noted problem with that.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //