//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1985 200m Hardtail racer build on a budget!

--

1985 200m Hardtail racer build on a budget!

Hi guys,

So I bought a bunch of parts bike Honda 3 wheeler's the other day, This one spoke to me and I am going to keep it and not part it. So the plan is save (Smokey Joe) and strip it down to the bare necessities and build a flat track hardtail racer and beat on it. Today I took the whole heard out for a spin, 2 84- big reds, 85 250sx and (Smokey Joe) 200m HardTail racer, I must admit the HardTail racer with 2 rear flat tires was the most fun, the back end steps out perfect in a corner. I plan to run a 20x10x9 rear. and a 21x8x9 front.

First Issue: I have just finished a top end rebuild, reset the valves, cleaned the carb. It runs, it starts on the first pull, revs good. but doesn't idle, the idle speed screw is all the way in and it barley idles, not even a high idle. Twice I have went through this carb the main jet is 98 the idle jet is 38, at the moment NO air filter (on order) It smokes black, a little bit at idle a little less at WOT, I changed the valve stem seals and lapped the valves, they held fluid over night. The fuel enrichment screw is 1 5/8 out. both times I have went through this carb the V-clip that holds the needle down is popped up and is loose allowing the needle to move up and down. I reset it make sure it is flat inside the slide otherwise this is the only thing that looks odd. I do not know if this is the right carb for this bike, like I said this was a parts bike I am saving.

Second issue: Clutch slips, but wired, it pulls wheelie in 1st, shift to 2nd and it slips then engages, smoothly no chatter or jerky then, runs out to 3rd, slips then grabs pulls good to 4th ect. I have only experienced clutches slipping continuously, not slipping then grabbing. So I adjusted the clutch, I loosened the 14mill. bolt and turned the flat blade screw counter clockwise about a half turn felt resistance, then turned it 1/4 turn clockwise and tighten it down. I did this several time, each time it remained the same, still slips. do I need a clutch? I have never replaced one, is it hard?

Thanks in advance.
    MrC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200203_095635.jpg  

--
    I'm not much help on the clutch issue, but I do have an idea on your "running rich" issue. Since you said that you've just done the top end, make sure that your cam to crank and CDI timing are both spot on. If one (or both) of these are off, you may not be running rich. You're just not able to burn all of the gas that's getting into your engine.

--
    I have checked the timing and valves twice, but I will do it again, it runs and rides good motor sounds healthy starts on first pull, no popping or anything like that. But no harm in doing it again. I did find a bad ground on the coil, it was sparking in the shade. but didn't fix my issue.

Time well wasted tonight: I found some spacers hiding on a parts 200s I had, but it had the small bolt pattern, so I swapped the hubs too, but then I had to find some wheels, I got lucky and found a pair of 8 inch wheels with that pattern only issue is there 2 piece wheels, I prefer to not run tubes so I am not sure, I have in the past Sand blasted some wheels and put rvt between the 2 halves, let dry, mount the tire then duck tape the seem.

Here is some pics of the direction I am going, I have a rear fender off a 125m that one piece or I mat bob a set of big red fenders I have. The spacers and offset of the wheels netted me 3.5 inches of width per side.

I cant post pics tonight

MrC.

--
    I have been giving this a of thought, I wonder is this is the right carb for this bike. yes its an original keihin carb but the jets are main #98 and idle jet #38, book says #95 and #35 that said, I wonder if this is enough to smut the plug and cause it to smoke. with the fuel enrichment screw all in, it must be getting fuel from the jets to be this fat. I think tonight I will swap the jets and start with a clean plug, I will report back asap.

MrC.

--
    I'll bet that will help.

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    I recommend, and in no particular order....just throwing ideas out there:

XR200 piston, cam, and carb
    Upgraded exhaust
    Either run no air box or no lid, but use a good filter
    Rear disc brake conversion
    HD clutch springs
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

--
    Thanks BarnBoy, those engine upgrades are in the future for sure. If not this bike the 200x project I have.
    I am replacing the clutch on this bike, I have found several kits that include springs, wear disc and gasket, but non say HD springs, where can I find HD springs?
    Also, what about the shoes in the secondary clutch?
    The rear disc brake conversion looks very tempting.
    MrC.
    Last edited by MrConcdid; 03-14-2020 at 10:24 AM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by MrConcdid View Post
    Thanks BarnBoy, those engine upgrades are in the future for sure. If not this bike the 200x project I have.
    I am replacing the clutch on this bike, I have form several kits that include springs, wear disc and gasket, but non say HD springs, where can I find HD springs?
    Also, what about the shoes in the secondary clutch?
    The rear disc brake conversion looks very tempting.
    MrC.
    I like OEM discs and plates, would prefer OEM centrifugal clutch shoes if they weren't so expensive. Only other option I've found us aftermarket which may or may not be "file to fit" depending on the shape of your drum etc.

Go on eBay and query "vesrah clutch spring ATC200M" and it should pop up with a HD version.

I plan on doing a rear disc conversion to my 200M when. I get it going again lol

Da velder

--
    Last night was fun,
    I was mocking up some spare parts I had laying out in the boneyard (that's a lot funnier if you already knew I was an undertaker)
    So this is what I will be using a bobbed big red front fender, a aftermarket tank, a big red seat ( I think) and a one piece 125m rear fender and trunk.
    I ordered a bunch of parts last night, some 18x9.5x8 sunf street tires, EBC clutch plates and HD springs, a one way clutch bearing and a shindy carb kit.
    I will post photos as soon as the site is fixed.
    I want a tall skinny front tire, I have 8 and 9 inch rims to choose from. the tallest & skinniest tire I can find is a 22x7x9, that my have to do.
    I installed the wheel spacer's I found in the boneyard, there pretty interesting, they where on a 185/200s (IDK) they where hub centric, required drilling the hubs and wheels.

MrC.
    Last edited by MrConcdid; 03-12-2020 at 12:43 PM.

--
    Last night was fun,
    I was mocking up some spare parts I had laying out in the boneyard (that's a lot funnier if you already knew I was an undertaker)
    So this is what I will be using a bobbed big red front fender, a aftermarket tank, a big red seat ( I think) and a one piece 125m rear fender and trunk.
    I ordered a bunch of parts last night, some 18x9.5x8 sunf street tires, EBC clutch plates and HD springs, a one way clutch bearing and a shindy carb kit.
    I will post photos as soon as the site is fixed.
    I want a tall skinny front tire, I have 8 and 9 inch rims to choose from. the tallest & skinniest tire I can find is a 22x7x9, that my have to do.
    I installed the wheel spacer's I found in the boneyard, there pretty interesting, they where on a 185/200s (IDK) they where hub centric, required drilling the hubs and wheels.

MrC.
    Where'd you find a one way clutch bearing?

Da velder

--
    Bearing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-1984-...f87e%7Ciid%3A1

Wish I could post some pics, the 125m fenders turned out great on the 200m.
    MrC.

--
    Well the final fitment is complete, I wish I could post a pic. This is the widest front end I think I have ever seen, wider than a 200x, 250sx, big red there is 13.5 inches between the front forks, wow, I had to make a bracket to mount the big red fender. I removed all the mounts off the back of the frame, stripped the 125m fenders of its mounts and seat, drilled holes to allow the round rubber bushings to pass through the fender, then cut access holes for the latch, so now the seat and its latch holds the fender in place. I think it turned out great.

So here's a parts run down.
    1985 Honda 200m
    Wide Open plastic gas tank
    bobbed and inverted big red front fender
    125m rear fender
    big red seat
    185 rear hubs
    vintage hub-centric wheel spacers
    125m wheels 8x9 small pattern (drilled)
    Sunf street pattern rear tires 18x9.5x8
    Topend rebuild
    shindy carb kit
    one way clutch bearing
    HD clutch springs and plates
    As a nod to the hardtail racer thread, I inverted my rear grab handle also.

Coming soon
    2 round LED lights up front
    front tire thinking 22x7x9
    new brakes front and rear
    tear down and paint

MrC.
    Last edited by MrConcdid; 03-13-2020 at 11:24 PM.
    mrc_builds on YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmw...confirmation=1

My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

mrc_builds saves trikes like Jimmy Swaggart saved souls back in the day -said Patriot1

--
    Bearing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-1984-...f87e%7Ciid%3A1

Wish I could post some pics, the 125m fenders turned out great on the 200m.
    MrC.
    Cool. Didn't realize there was an option for that other than NOS OEM.

Da velder

--
    If your referring to the fenders, I used what I had laying around, I like the one piece aspect of the 200x fenders and how they lift off, so I had a nice 125m fender, and made my own. The bracket I made to hold the front fender is pretty trick as well. I wanted it up close to the forks. Now that its bolted together i wull wash it. The brown paint and mildew should all come off, it will look like a completely different bike. I do want to make a filler panel for the back of the seat and the front of the trunk.
    MrC.

--
    If your referring to the fenders, I used what I had laying around, I like the one piece aspect of the 200x fenders and how they lift off, so I had a nice 125m fender, and made my own. The bracket I made to hold the front fender is pretty trick as well. I wanted it up close to the forks. Now that its bolted together i wull wash it. The brown paint and mildew should all come off, it will look like a completely different bike. I do want to make a filler panel for the back of the seat and the front of the trunk.
    MrC.
    No I meant the one way bearing. But the fenders look good on that thing. All your pics came through btw

Da velder

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //