//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 200x valve seat

--

200x valve seat

Hey guys, I have a spare 86 200x motor that has been laying around for a couple years, I tried starting it and it smoked like a train and had no power did a compression test a while ago and did not pass. Just recently decided to open it up to learn the engine Incase I ever have to rip the one I actually ride apart. I do want to get this engine back to running condition just to learn. I was suprised how clean the piston and bore were. Basically I have 2 questions. First, the piston is actually pretty decent. Measured the od and it’s out of spec, to small. I don’t have the right tools to accurately measure the bore but I assume it’s worn too. Is it usual for engines to wear out piston and bore in a clean way? The bore is nice with no scoring you can feel. Next question is the valves. The intake valve seals good but the exhaust valve is leaking and seat looks enlarged. Seat spec is 1.4mm and exhaust seat is 1.5m I’m getting. Also the exhaust valve itself is kind of flat looking, no angles left on it (there should be 3 noticeable angles) Is my only option having the seat recut? Or can I possibly just put a new exhaust valve in? I’m not looking to completely restore this engine as the cases have some chain rash, and it’s just a spare. But would like it running good. Just looking for some thoughts. I’ll add some pics when I get off work

--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    Engines sometimes have no visible signs of wear. Get an oversized piston and have the cylinder bored/honed to match. You could also fill out a 4 stroke order form from L.A. sleeve and they can get the piston and bore/hone it for you. Put the old valves back in with the springs and keepers, flip the head over and pour some marvel mystery oil in the combustion chamber. Watch for leaks and seeps. It is likely it will seep and you will need to get new valves. Get some lapping compound and hand lap the new valves In place. After a new top end gasket kit (with valve seals) you should be good to go.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Usually the valve seat can be re used either a new valve and lapping, but they can just cut the seat, even just one if that's all that's needed.

I can usually find those heads pretty cheap on FaceBook.

You need an inside telescopic bore gauge to check the cylinder, yes they often look nice, but the cross hatching will be all gone aside from where the piston rides.

If it's that worn and the seat is toast, how is the cam, rocker shafts and rocker pads?? Those are all hard to find new parts but lots of use ones out there.

I probably have a good head I'd sell after you get an idea of a cost on your parts and see what will work for your wallet.

Do it once and do it right, keep it filled with oil and warm it up properly. It will last your forever...

Biggest issue I find with motors is a lack of changing the oil, and running low on oil, that's what ruins these otherwise bulletproof powerplants.
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    Usually the valve seat can be re used either a new valve and lapping, but they can just cut the seat, even just one if that's all that's needed.

I can usually find those heads pretty cheap on FaceBook.

You need an inside telescopic bore gauge to check the cylinder, yes they often look nice, but the cross hatching will be all gone aside from where the piston rides.

If it's that worn and the seat is toast, how is the cam, rocker shafts and rocker pads?? Those are all hard to find new parts but lots of use ones out there.

I probably have a good head I'd sell after you get an idea of a cost on your parts and see what will work for your wallet.

Do it once and do it right, keep it filled with oil and warm it up properly. It will last your forever...

Biggest issue I find with motors is a lack of changing the oil, and running low on oil, that's what ruins these otherwise bulletproof powerplants.

--
    This was the filter, yes that is a quarter inch of crud. Worst I ever seen haha. When I clean the filter out in my bike there’s nothing ever in there. The cam seems to be in spec. The right way to fix it would have the seat cut back to spec. Has anyone got machining services done from g&h discount atv? About $140 for a complete head service. Kinda out of my range as this is just a spare motor with that and a new bore I might as well buy a new engine. It would be nice if I could just find someone to recut the exhaust seat for like 50 bucks. Lol It’s really not terrible shape. Have also been looking at neway cutters. Anyone have experience with them? I know exhaust valves are mostly the problem valves. I figure for what i would pay for a cylinder head service I can probably get the 3 angled cutters for around the same price and have the tool forever, and fix more.

--

200x valve seat

Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    Engines sometimes have no visible signs of wear. Get an oversized piston and have the cylinder bored/honed to match. You could also fill out a 4 stroke order form from L.A. sleeve and they can get the piston and bore/hone it for you. Put the old valves back in with the springs and keepers, flip the head over and pour some marvel mystery oil in the combustion chamber. Watch for leaks and seeps. It is likely it will seep and you will need to get new valves. Get some lapping compound and hand lap the new valves In place. After a new top end gasket kit (with valve seals) you should be good to go.
    I tested it with compressed air through the ports with water sitting in the combustion chamber. Exhaust valve itself is pretty toast. You think my chances are good of just lapping a brand new valve and it sealing? The tolerance is 1.1-1.4mm seat width. I’m getting 1.5mm on my caliper

Last edited by 83_200e_rider; 03-17-2020 at 09:58 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post

Here is the intake valve and exhaust valve

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 83_200e_rider View Post
    I tested it with compressed air through the ports with water sitting in the combustion chamber. Exhaust valve itself is pretty toast. You think my chances are good of just lapping a brand new valve and it sealing? The tolerance is 1.1-1.4mm seat width. I’m getting 1.5mm on my caliper

It doesn't hurt to get 2 new valves and try to hand lap it. The other option is to send the head off and get the seats re-cut.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 83_200e_rider View Post

That's not that bad. You should try your hand at a motor that's been used as a boat anchor...…
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 200x_1.jpg   200x_2.jpg  

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    I just got my valves/ seats ground on my ATC200M by an old school local machinist for $20. Just make sure they know what they are doing and have the right size pilots/stones and a jig to hold it.
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //