//ArrowChat Code

Thread: New Battery Cables

--

New Battery Cables

I'm working on tooling up to make new battery cables for pretty much any machine. Right now 6 gauge wire only, but my 16 ton crimper can do some very large sized wires, 6 gauge is 2nd to the smallest die of the set lol.

I'm also upgrading the fuse holder to a water proof designed one, also uses the more modern mini fuses so should be really easy to find replacement fuses if one ever blows.

Here's the positive battery cable to starter solenoid wire I made for an 84 atc200es.

I've also started making a kit for an ATC250SX, waiting on the crimper for crimping the larger fuse housing terminals for 14 gauge wire to finish it up (this one actually is going on my 250sx). Don't mind the mud on the machine, it's a true rider and Michigan gets plenty of mud/rain to make things nice and dirty lol.

Some quick specs on the parts used.

Marine grade battery cable (high stand count, tinned strands) - 6 gauge
    Delphi Mini Fuse holder
    Smaller wire is high temp fuel injector grade wiring, way over kill for this area of the machine.
    Marine grade adhesive heat shrink (dual walled and sealing type)

Just about everything is USA sourced except the bullet terminal that goes to the red wire on the harness.

I used 6 gauge wire because of the better support for the terminals/lugs, OEM appears to be 8 or 10 gauge. It won't make much of a difference besides lower voltage drop through the wire, so the starter should spin slightly faster.

Anyone interested in some sets? I'd have to run the numbers per machine, but it's looking like it will be around $50 for both battery cables and the starter cable. I also can rewire a newer Honda solenoid if your old one isn't aging well. I'm also looking into wire end caps to cover up the starter, solenoid, and positive battery ends, those will have to cost extra if you want them. OEM might be able to be swapped over.

I do have very limited supplies since I'm not sure what kind of interest this will have. Here's a pic of 100ft of wire and the battery lugs.

--
    I'd be interested in a kit for a SX.

--
    I'll probably make like 5 kits for the 250sx, not the most common machine, but I have one to test fit on =).

--
    Put me down for a complete set for an '85 250SX.
    "You should never smoke in pajamas..
    You might start a fire and burn your face..
    Maybe you should return to Manaugua..
    You could go un-noticed in such a place"

FZ

Ass,gas or grass....nobody rides for free!

Ride free,Brotha. See you in Heaven.

--
    I'm shocked everyone needs them for the 250sx but not the 200es, 250es and such. I have supplies coming for about 10 kits, hopefully it shows up before long.

I'm thinking for quality control, I'll be doing a 100amp load test through the cables for ~10 secs then checking the temp of the two crimps. Bad connections create heat, so should tell me if there's a problem pretty quick. Should be more draw than starters on 3 wheelers. I can't remember where I saw the spec, but pretty sure I saw a 0.65kw rating for a starter motor which translates to 55 amps. Always open to other ideas, the "pull" test is an option too, I'd just need to figure out what to use as a weight, need 100-300lbs in weight depending on which spec I want to test to.

Thanks for the interest/support, I didn't think I'd get any replies to this thread.

--
    Well I don't have a 200ES so that one's out for me. The positive cable that attaches to the battery on my SX was cut a little bit short for some reason before I got it. It looks like your cables may be a little bit longer than stock in your pictures, and that's a good thing to me.

--
    Yea I make wires longer than stock, no penny pinching going on there lol. Logic is that a wire too long isn't a big deal, a wire too short just doesn't work though.

The two black wires are around 1/2 to 1in longer, the red wire is closer to 2 in because I don't have the battery lug to make the wire hug real close to the battery. Even though the wire is longer, it should still be secured well, like use the factory fame mount points for the wire or if they are damaged or lacking in any spots, zip ties work well.

I should be clear, I'm not unhappy about all the kits for one model, that means it's easier for me to make them in a batch. Currently crimping the lugs for 5 kits so I can finish up the fuse holder and get them ready pretty much asap. Also have a couple big normal harness projects I'm working on, but the battery cables are a nice break from figuring out wire designs to just basic work, cut a big wire the right length, and crimp the end on. Should have photos somewhat soon of almost completed cables =).

--
    Alright, internet was down last night so posting now instead.

Here's the progress so far. Just need those fuse holders to come in to finish them off. I have a 6th kit that's going on my personal machine. Yea, I use my own products =).

--
    Alright, I got the fuse holders in got busy with a couple side things but got them finished up today. For those that are interesting shoot me a pm so I can send you a unique link for paying so I can track which payment goes to which order.

Here's the pics of the kit finished. Let me know if there's any questions. The blue insulator on the bullet terminal is normally for a jetski but it worked well on my machine and it's water proofed and should seal fairly well to the rubber male connector off the harness. Make sure you get the click when installing or it could slip apart.

Zip ties might be needed to hold sections of the wire from moving, if you don't have access to any, let me know, I have some white ones on hand. The wiring is made slightly longer than stock including the fuse holder, so it should give some options on where to mount it, worst case zip tie it to the frame.

I bought the fuses from Walmart and was shocked, they are made in Japan. Eaton brand. That was just to get me some misc sizes of fuses on hand so these kits are pretty much eating all of the 15amp ones up in that kit. After a few hours of looking, I found a bulk supplier of the same fuses so I have an order of 500 coming. and 200 of the other common sizes (10a and 20a).

I'm always open to ideas and suggestions. I'll note them down and the next batch adjust how I build them.

--
    Got mine in the mail the other day. Top shelf quality at a more than fair price. Any of you guys that have an ES, Big Red or SX....get a set of these cables. You wont be disappointed.

FZ

--
    Glad you like the cables, how were the lengths, all go together well? I haven't had a chance to install the set on my 250sx, just a "dry" fit before I had fuse holders.

Good news on all of this, I have a 250es, 200es, and 250sx to test fit on. Unique machines like the TR200 Fat Cat would be more of a challenge to get just right.

Thanks for the feed back =).

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    Glad you like the cables, how were the lengths, all go together well? I haven't had a chance to install the set on my 250sx, just a "dry" fit before I had fuse holders.

Good news on all of this, I have a 250es, 200es, and 250sx to test fit on. Unique machines like the TR200 Fat Cat would be more of a challenge to get just right.

Thanks for the feed back =).
    I just got my new Motobatt battery in yesterday. A have a like new battery box to install also. Hopefully I'll get to it this weekend and report back.

FZ

--
    That's pretty sad. Maico has his and I may have mine before you even get yours installed.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    That's pretty sad. Maico has his and I may have mine before you even get yours installed.
    Yea, I'm not in a rush. The cables looked to be good lengths, I just haven't looked too far on where to mount the fuse box. I don't ride the machine super often so I'm not missing out on much lol. Keeping up with ebay sales is keeping me a lot busier than normal, double edge sword, like the extra funds coming in, but it's the time of year I want to do a million other things lol.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //