//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1972 ATC 90 opinions

patriot1 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

1972 ATC 90 opinions

Hey guys: new here and want your opinions....? I just came across and bought a 72 90 that is in decent shape but no where near mint by no means. It's been ridden: Should I modify and customize it or should I try to restore it back to original?

Thanks for your thoughts. What would you do?

--
    Depends on how deep your pockets are. To restore a 72 90 to oem condition would be a lot of money to do it right and it sounds as if it’s far from decent shape. Why not just get it running and ride it? You will be surprised on how much simple things like seats and fenders actually are and that doesn’t account for any motor work. These are not worth as much money as some think they are. Sure completely stock untouched one would be but outside of that you will usually get turned upside down on these unless you have unlimited parts and good mechanical ability, know how and resources
    90 nickolson Bored and Stroked "The Good"

Big Bore 110 Pauter frame "The Bad"

90 Bored and Stroked “vey’s frame” "The Ugly"

110 JSC frame Bored and Stroked
    flat track build. “Shop trike”

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

patriot1 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Kinda my thoughts. I would get it original (without tires) and wouldn't want to ride it. It runs now. Just something doesn't seem right about modifying a parrot green one.

But the thought of suspension, rims, possible engine swap to Chinese with electric start and reverse is pretty cool.

Thanks

--
    Not sure how far you want to go with it, but if you don't mind aftermarket wheels, I have a rim and tire combo that should bolt right up and be a similar setup to stock but with normal rims. No clue what the rim/tire came from, but it was on an ATC110 I bought. Has a V tread, but same basic style as the front/rears.

I'm in the same boat though, make it nice as you want, try to stick to oem when possible, but some things are just so expensive, aftermarket isn't exactly bad. If you want a show machine, you won't ever ride it, if you want to ride it, then keep up on maintenance and treat it well and it will last. As said above though, depends how deep your pockets are, these machines were the first 3 wheelers made, so they have a unique spot in history including their tire setup. The 6x6 and 8x8 machines used a similar tire/rim setup, might be an ok source to make an OEM looking machine but having a cheaper source for parts. Pretty sure atleast some of them used that super tiny 3 bolt pattern.

For the cost of the new Chinese engine, frame, etc, if you want one of those machines, I'd say grab a second atc90 that's more trashed (like non running, blown engine, etc) and swap the fenders etc over to make the machine you like and restore, sell, or ride the other one.

Always a million ways to go about things, you know your situation, desires, etc better than anyone else, so realistically you're the most qualified to answer what you should do with the machine. I'm sure pretty much everything you'd end up doing the 3 wheeler community would be in support of.... except maybe a quad conversion, can't be adding more wheels now =).

--
    We like pics

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM shop View Post
    We like pics
    Weclome to the maddness. Yes we don't see many "parrot green" US90's, lots of "Aquarius Blue" around. Pic's would help in addressing advice / opinions on restore. We all like to see survivors.

Too an admin, this thread should be moved.......

"HJ" Name:  oldfogey.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  1.2 KB
    ’84 YT60
    ’85 350x (423cc) with ’81 XL500 head conversion
    ’83 XR500 (628cc) converted 3 Wheel hybrid
    ’73 CB750 K3 converted 3 Wheel hybrid
    ’86 TRX250R chassis XR650L engine hybrid
    ’89 TRX250R (stock )
    ’90 LT500 Quadzilla
    ’85 FL350 Odysses ( water cooled head )
    Lost (sold) but not forgotten ’80 ATC 110 (205cc on alcohol ) ’83 200x ( 222cc ) ’83 200x ( 185s eng ) ’85 350x ( stock )
    added to the collection recently, (2) '70 US90 Aquarius Blue and '74 ATC90 Daytona Orange

--
    Welcome!
    I think I would be hard pressed to take a Parrot Green 90 and modify it. Maybe internal engine mods and a newer tire set up.
    How do you know what year it is? The Parrot Green 90's were 70-71 and had the Honda badge mounted to each side of the tank. The Mighty Green 90's were 72-73 and had a Yellow patch on each side of the tank with Honda painted on.
    1970-71
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4168.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	943.5 KB 
ID:	262052

1972-1973

Name:	20150315_182207.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	262053

BTW see you are in Palestine......I go past there often going to Little Rock with work.
    Last edited by Joseph Farrow; 03-25-2020 at 05:58 PM.
    * 1978 ATC 90/180 Pauter PJ1 / Springer "Team BAPP" Bike *

* 1980 ATC 110/180 "Danny's Machine Works" 3D Sprint Dune Bike *

* Nicholson 500 Race Bike *

* HPATC Yamaha RD350 "Big Moe" Trike *

--
    You can also use the VIN number to make sure the frame is the right year, and the engine serial number to make sure the year is right. Parts interchange a fair bit on the early atc90's aka "US90" models.

I made this VIN decoder to help with that kind of ID. K0 is 70-71, and K1 is 72-73.

https://atvmanual.com/honda/interact...er-atv-and-atc

--
    Must be a 72 with Mighty Green. I got it out today and finally got a chance to look at it. I am leaving it alone. It is awesome for the age. Everything there, everything original except exhaust is a modified exhaust. Very rare to find something like this in Dixie where people store collections outside and rust takes over. This one had a California registration that expired in 1976. Will post picture as soon as I figure out how...:/

The chain tensioner was removed so I have to replace that first and will probably replace chain and sprockets also.

Thanks guys!! Super excited to get this one!

--

Name:	thumbnail_60686115896__696111D8-EA74-43FC-9C6A-3315C8765309.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	262055

Came back to a 1972-73 US90 (ATC 90 K1)

Name:	thumbnail_60686115896__696111D8-EA74-43FC-9C6A-3315C8765309.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	262055

--
    Seat's been recovered, aftermarket tires & rims all around, and I'm pretty sure that's an aftermarket headlight. Don't know if that model had mud flaps, but my later model atc90 had black mud flaps on the rear fender. Looks to be in pretty good shape from the visuals, the seat seems to have something weird going on though. I don't know what costs the most on restoring one of those machines, I just know the OEM tires are expensive and not really worth it for a normal machine that will be rode. The later ATC90 seats seem to be pretty expensive, just the foam runs like $80 used.

Good luck with whatever route you take on the machine, I wouldn't think it would be too hard to restore it depending how far you wanted to go with it.

--
    Yes, something wrong with the seat-no doubt! And of course, like I said earlier, the wheels and tires are not worth 6K.Not sure about mud flaps either-my 78 had mud flaps. I don't think this one did.

Like I said, I'm going to leave this one alone and just ride it. Thanks for everyone's help.

--
    I'll post more pics later. The exhaust is interesting to me, I'm sure it's not original. Just happy to have a green Honda And I think I got a good deal on it.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by patriot1 View Post
    I'll post more pics later. The exhaust is interesting to me, I'm sure it's not original. Just happy to have a green Honda And I think I got a good deal on it.
    The stock exhaust went through the frame. Send a pic of it someone may be able to identify it. You can still find stock exhaust out there, I think we have two laying around.

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_2632.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	262056

Here's the exhaust. Like I said, it came without a chain tensioner on it so this tells me that previous owners had trouble with drive chain. I would like to replace sprockets and chain but I want to make sure all is like it should be. Are there any specifications/diagrams/drawings of this? Links? Or should I just order a manual?

Thanks

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //