//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Something is bent any Ideas?

--

Something is bent any Ideas?

Hi all,
    I have a 1980 ATC 185 that I want to get ready to ride this season. I'm having a issue with my chain its going from really loose to really tight I can't figure out where it is binding at. I put new sprockets on it, new chain, and it is still binding. What should I check?

--
    Axle bearings
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 200E yard rat
    1984 ATC 200X
    1984 ATC 200S (X2)
    1985 ATC 70 (X2)
    1985 ATC 200S
    1985 ATC 250R
    1986 TRX 70
    1986 ATC 350X
    2004 kfx 700 XC
    2006 prarie 700 XC
    2009 Brute Force 750
    2020 CF Moto 600

--
    I put brand new, quality name brand chain and sprockets at great expense on both of my street bikes last summer for the same reason, assuming my old chains were stretched. I was extremely disappointed when the new chains did exactly the same thing. Apparently chains vary. If the axle bearings check out ok and it isn't throwing the chain, I say just run it.

--
    I guess I for got to say I put new bearing in it so trying to fix this issue. I'm at a loss I what to do. Its just not making sense to me. I have never had this much trouble with a chain before.

--
    I'm editing everything I posted before.

I realized you're trike has (originally) the old style sprocket carrier.

Does it still have the original sprocket carrier?

Are all the rubber isolators in good condition?

Is it assembled correctly?

Those rubber isolators are probably rock hard, and new ones aren't available.

The sprocket 'floats' inside that thing, and the whole assembly eventually wears out and the sprocket won't stay centered. They're quite a mess and the later ones were updated to a different style.

The Honda part # for that year 185 axle is 42310-958-000, aaannnnnndddd, it's not the same as the later ones with the updated sprocket, so you can't just use the later sprocket without changing the axle. If the sprocket carrier or associated parts are the problem, you're in a pickle.
    '
    Last edited by ATC King; 03-27-2020 at 11:04 PM.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    I think it has the original carrier. I'll have to look at ever thing and double check every thing. I don't remember seeing rubber isolators in between the sprocket and carrier.

--
    Break your problem solving down and you’ll find your issue quickly.

Remove the chain and start by turning the counter sprocket with your finger while you have something up against it to see if it is wobbling, or turning true.

Then do the same thing with your back axle. With the sprocket exposed put something up near it like a block of wood or a piece of metal and turn the axle to see if your sprocket is turning true and not wobbling.

Providing both sprockets are turning straight and true and there is no slop in any of your shafts then put the chain back on and turn the rear wheel looking for the tightest spot. When you find it marked the chain with paint, or whatever you want and continue rotating the axle to see if the tight spot is in exactly the same place every time.

Every chain has at least one point that it is a little bit tighter than the rest, but it shouldn’t be exaggerated. If both of your sprockets are true, and have no run out, and your bearings are good, it sounds like you have a really crappy chain. What brand of chain did you buy?

--
    If it still has the original sprocket design, the following should help. It's a 110 axle, so it looks different, but the function is the same as the '80 185.

These eventually wear out because the sprocket flange, that's pressed onto the axle, is a wear surface. When new, the sprocket is centered on the flange, and the only thing stopping it from freewheeling on the flange is the rubber dampers. It's all sandwiched between the two side plates, which are directly bolted to the sprocket flange and receive the driving force from the dampers. The dampers have metal ends so the relatively thin sprocket doesn't just tear through them.

First two pictures are of a worn out unit, with everything bolted tight. It shows how much slop is in the sprocket with me just moving it with a finger.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0124.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	761.5 KB 
ID:	262074Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0125.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	688.7 KB 
ID:	262075

The next are of the unit disassembled. What the sprocket rides on is circled in red.

Name:	DSCN0126.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	262076

Then, a picture showing the wear on the sprocket flange. This is repairable. It could be built back up then turned down, but it's unusable as is.

Name:	DSCN0127.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	262077

The rest just for visual fulfillment.

Name:	DSCN0129.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	262078Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0130.jpg 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	262079Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0131.jpg 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	262080Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0132.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	262081Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0135.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	262083Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0133.jpg 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	262082

If yours still has this and it's kaput, all is not lost. There are sprockets available that bolt directly to the flange, and do away with the rubber isolated system. While not ideal, it works. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunstar-2-3...IAAOSw8jlcsHKa
    Last edited by ATC King; 03-28-2020 at 04:43 PM.

--
    I have a 84 200m that has that same axle. Is there a different sprocket that will fit that axle spline? I hate to ask, but what about centering and welding the sprocket to the splined hub part then reattach the cover plates and rubber isolators?

MrC.

--
    I was editing my post, probably while you were asking, but yes, there is aftermarket bolt on sprockets available.

Sprockets wear out. Welding it onto the flange is just going to make replacement worse next time. It could be welded to the outside plate though, which wouldn't be an issue if just going to chunk it all later and install a solid sprocket next go.

--
    Thanks, "Mr. The King" -cars movie reference
    I think that will work for my needs just fine.

MrC.

--
    Very help full info. Every thing looks like its straight visually. I'll have to take it a part tomorrow and check it out.

--
    HondaCT90, I can take my foot and with my toe push up on the sprocket and mine will move up and down, I have never thrown a chain, but it does move a noticeable amount, I'd say an 1/8 of an inch.
    I will be welding mine asap.
    MrC.

--
    I haven't take mine a part yet, but it has some play in the sprocket. I think I'm going to order a new sprocket after I take it a part and look at it. I like the idea of just bolting the sprocket to the axle. Thanks.

--
    When you get your sprocket, post the part number here, for future readers.
    MrC.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //