//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1985 250es wiring questions

--

1985 250es wiring questions

Working on 85 br project. Trying to sort out the electric start issues. It will fire up and run good with the kicker. When running the neutral light is on. Made new heavy battery cables and hooked them up just like originals. Known good hot battery. The main fuse coming off solenoid was already gone so hard wired it together for now. I know the key switch at least partly works because it will kill engine. No neutral light when key on. Is there any other fuses in that circuit? Starter is good. Starter will jump when you hook straight to it.
    Trikes: Cagiva 200, 85? Tiger 250,(2)84 200x's , (3)86 200x's, 87 200x, (5)85 350x's, (2)86 350x's, (2)85 250r's, 86 Tecate, (3) 85 250sx's Restoring: 83 200x, 86 250sx. Too many utility trikes to list.

--
    Had a similar issue with a Kawasaki quad.
    Kick it over and it ran. Electric start spun it over but no start. After a bit of head scratching, discovered there was a good spark if kicked over, but no spark at all if the electric was used. Eventually discovered a small wire not connected to anything - I've no idea what it should have been attached to but once earthed it started on the electric!!!
    Have a good long look for anything not attached or badly earthed. It was a spurious wire not near the battery or starter so worth checking the whole loom.
    ATC 70, ATC 250es, 1/32 ATC 250R
    1 person in 10 understands binary, the other one doesn't.

Trikefest UK '08 survivor!

--
    No neutral light would be your problem most likely. Since you have a neutral light while running but not while purely off battery, something isn't right there. Effectively the battery power goes through the stock fuse to the ignition switch, comes out the ignition switch and runs to everything as a power supply wire. At the ignition switch, test the red wire for power. With the ignition switch on, the black wire should have power but no power with switch off. If this fails, it's a bad ignition switch, Honda still sells them.

Following the power from there, it goes up to the fuses at the front of the machine under the black cover by the head light. I've seen people confuse those wires up, but both fuses should have a black wire on one side, and on the opposite side one is pink (aux power, not truely needed), and the other is black/brown. I've had people with the fuse hooked black to black, and the other fuse pink to black/brown. Also check the fuses if they are blown or not. That black/brown wire runs directly to everything else that runs off battery voltage including the neutral/reverse lights.

Under normal usage, with engine off, key on, the battery powers headlight, tail light, dash lights, and starter solenoid off that wire.

If you need battery cables, I make high grade cables out of marine grade wire, proper battery lugs, and adhesive heat shrink (sealing type) and I use a proper water proofed sealed fuse holder. Here's the set I've made for an ATC250SX. I do my best to make them the best I can.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //