//ArrowChat Code
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Dual Sportster build

tripledog is offline I could be geriatricdog... at my age Got the holeshot
    --
    To allow the freer flowing Gallop exhaust to function properly you will also need to have a less restrictive air intake and most likely need to rejet the carb. The stock airbox is very restrictive. In addition, check the condition of the vacuum lines from the intake manifold to the fuel valve and to the VOES (vacuum operated electrical switch).
    Last edited by tripledog; 05-28-2020 at 11:57 PM.

--
    It still has the stock CV carb, right?

I ran across something very similar, where the guy was at our house, bike running like your description, and it turned out that he had messed with the carb just before the ride and didn't get the slide diaphragm or cap back on correctly. I don't remember if the slide wasn't in right or the cap was turned wrong, could've even been the diaphragm lip pooched out a little and not seating. Whichever it was, we were able to rectify it there, without any parts, just by getting everything in there right.

Sometimes those old rubber diaphragms can get tears too. Have to hold it up to a light, pull and look all around, especially where it joins the slide. Sometimes it seems like those diaphragms swell with age and it's like wrestling an jellyfish, trying to get it back in place.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by tripledog View Post
    To allow the freer flowing Gallop exhaust to function properly you will also need to have a less restrictive air intake and most likely need to rejet the carb. The stock airbox is very restrictive. In addition, check the condition and of the vacuum lines from the intake manifold to the fuel valve and to the VOES (vacuum operated electrical switch).
    I don't disagree about the change in exhaust having an affect, but there is one important detail that I forgot to add. The bike did this with the factory exhaust as well when I first got it before I touched anything.

I could definitely take a better look at the vacuum system and see if anything looks off there.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    It still has the stock CV carb, right?

I ran across something very similar, where the guy was at our house, bike running like your description, and it turned out that he had messed with the carb just before the ride and didn't get the slide diaphragm or cap back on correctly. I don't remember if the slide wasn't in right or the cap was turned wrong, could've even been the diaphragm lip pooched out a little and not seating. Whichever it was, we were able to rectify it there, without any parts, just by getting everything in there right.

Sometimes those old rubber diaphragms can get tears too. Have to hold it up to a light, pull and look all around, especially where it joins the slide. Sometimes it seems like those diaphragms swell with age and it's like wrestling an jellyfish, trying to get it back in place.
    Stock carb, yes. I did have the cap off the carb and the diaphragm and slide out, and I did inspect it. It didn't look cracked or anything but it was a little swollen and tricky to get back under the cover. I don't think there are any issues there but I may double check.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Currently I have the carburetor removed. The vacuum lines look fine and I don't think this system is the cause of my issues. If I suck on the vacuum line, the fuel immediately flows from the petcock. I began wondering what keeps this system open when there is no vacuum provided, IE wide open throttle (WOT) and I was wondering if that may be part of the problem. I highly doubt that is the case though because the hesitation is instantaneous. If the carburetor bowl were no being provided with enough fuel when the throttle is opened then there should be a delay. It should take at least a couple seconds for the bike to consume the fuel in the fuel bowl before the engine starts to show signs of fuel starvation.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--

Dual Sportster build

Someone suggested I check the points, and I was assuming it didn't have points. Turns out it doesn't. I wish it did because I was hoping that was going to be an easy fix.

It has some kind of electronic ignition. The timing plate was turned all the way to one side and there are a lot of marks from the mounting hardware on the plate which indicates someone was messing with this already. Someone was already trying to figure out what was wrong with this turd and gave up.

I tried moving the plate towards the middle of it's travel and that didn't seem to help. Then I went clear to the other side of the travel with it and the bike would hardly run. Not sure what is going on with this thing now.

Last edited by fabiodriven; 05-29-2020 at 10:46 PM.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    I'm not happy right now, been a bad day. This POS still doesn't want to run right. Not my first rodeo with a Harley product that doesn't want to run right and the last one still doesn't run right so I'm not looking to get into that BS again.

Bike is for sale, PM if you're interested.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Not to crap on your for sale ad, but do you have a factory manual so you can reset the timing to factory?

First and foremost take a break for a day, have a beer, a cocktail, a oney, whatever and clear your head.

I would get rid of the vacuum petcock, same thing I have planned for the 98 Road King in our garage. Allegedly it's a fire prevention device so if you crash the fuel stops flowing when the engine shuts off. In my opinion it's not needed.

You should also check the operation of the VOES and make sure it's working properly. I do not have a Sportster manual here but I could check my manuals for the Low Rider or the Road King for the testing procedure, I'm willing to bet they're the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    Fabio that is a work of art, you should pat yourself, (and a few others you mentioned) on the back. You'll get the engine sorted out in no time; chances are it's some dumb little thing that'll make you go, duh!
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

--
    I understand being upset and wanting to sell it off. We have all been there. Sometimes as much as I hate to say it or do it its best to just out scource it and let smone mess with it who has even more skills. Not saying its right, not saying its wrong but if letting say a valid harley shop mess with it for a bit would relaive you of your stress you might be able to focus your efforts on a different project or adventure. I know we as men and builders do nto like to admit defeet, hate dealers / service shops etc...but not everyone can figure everything out. Not everyone is the best at everything. We all can learn but somoneelse may know a tip or a trick that in the future saves us the time or money we spend up front.

If that was worth anything yay, if not I hope to see more future creation builds. I'd offer more help but i only ever had one sportster and it was a 2005. I never dug into the motor as it was too hard for a 29yo to enjoy a 700lb street toy.

--
    I had a dirt bike long ago, that gave me fits trying to find the problem. I sold it.

Turned out to be shorted wire in the harness. Wish I kept it long enough to figure that out.

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    If it were me, I'd get rid of the stock ignition and put in a Dynatek single fire ignition in it.
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    Yeah it will get figured out I'm sure. I ran out of time here in Florida so it's getting pushed into the trailer and figured out at the next place. I removed the right side cover because it looks like there's some part of the electrical system under the cover where they fish the wire through, but all that was under there was gears. I ruined the gasket getting it apart. We had a theory the cam could be a tooth off but I didn't get the chance to check. I went to the Harley dealer and it was going to take them 10 days just to get a gasket, and the chopper shop was closed three days in a row. That was my only hope because I'm not going to be here long enough to order parts through the mail, so I had to give up on the bike last week. The universe made it quite clear my long upstream struggle has brought me to the base of a waterfall. I had no choice but to walk away from it. It makes me sick to look at it. I tried to pop the cover back on and it doesn't want to go. I was expecting that. These things are built pretty stupid in my opinion. It also rattled off a special shock bolt and spacer of which I'm positive I double checked for tightness, and also I've been unable to locate a replacement for. I think the thing has done a total of three miles and it's falling apart already.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Typical old sportster. Good luck ordering parts too. Everything I order now days seems to take 3 weeks to get. I wrote this year off for really riding much of anything.

--
    We had a theory the cam could be a tooth off but I didn't get the chance to check.
    Are you sitting down?

If you didn't already find out...camshafts. Four of them. Each valve has it's own and they're all gear driven.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //