//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Going to start a restoration, couple questions

--

Going to start a restoration, couple questions

Hi guys, so i am going to start restoring my 200M i picked up the other day. It was sitting for 20 odd years and not being used. Frame is in decent shape, not a lot of rust. The racks need to be cleaned up as they are rusty.
    Can someone advise me with good black paint to use that would retain the factory type of look?
    Also theres some overspray on the plastics, what should i use to get the paint overspray off the bike?
    Additionally, The tires on it have good treads and look like a good set of rubber however one has the sidewall damaged. Would a tire tube be alright to use?

Bike runs awesome, everything works. Was owned by a older man. This is my new covid 19 sanity project.
    Cheers

mmiguy2103 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    congrats on the find. restorations are so fun to me. brings me way back to my younger years. So over the years and like 10 restorations later, I have found out that paint SUCKS! i dont care how well you prep and prime your surface, or what brand paint you used.. it looks great until you used the wheeler then scratch! i did my first 2 restorations with paint and regretted it. i then went the right way.. the way the factories do it. Powder coating. sand blast it and powder coat it. I used a great website called powderbuythepound.com they are great and have a ton colors to choose from.

I personally cant comment on a paint remover that you are looking for. Years ago when i worked for a dealer before i owned my own shop.. i used a restored product a few times with pretty good results.. it involved a 4 step sanding process to all the plastics then you would apply basically a clear sealer and they would look pretty good... not at good as new but pretty dang close. I cant remember the name of the product but i am sure someone else here will.

tubes.. sure you can. me personally i just get new tires. i never liked tubes. but as long at the inside of the tire is clean and smooth you should not have a problem.

toss some pics up !

"Advice is Free, The Right Answer will cost you"

--
    Running tubes in a tubeless tire and wheel leads to rust damaging the wheel.

A tire that won't hold air, will also let moisture in and when there's a tube in the wheel, that moisture becomes trapped between the tube and wheel. The majority of OEM steel wheels that I've seen with tubes, are ruined and won't seat a tubeless tire again without heaps of bead sealer, if at all.

Besides, with a flat, you'll have to break down the tire to repair the tube instead of easily sticking a plug in it. ATV tires are more difficult to break down by hand than 18 wheeler tires, and I've done a lot of both.

Tubes aren't that inexpensive either. I'd just replace the tire.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    The 200m is a great bike I have one, I striped mine down, which gave me a electric start flat track racer.
    I have rebuilt several big reds, sandblast the racks and POR 15 paint works great, get the UV protected version.
    Many parts interchange keep an open mind. the front fender is 200m only i believe, most everything else is same as 200es, 200e
    good luck, lets see some pictures.

MrC.

--
    Mmiguy, the one that comes to my mind first is called Plastic Renew. The steps that you mentioned sound about right. I haven't used it, but I've heard good things about it.

--
    I agree with atc king, atv tires are a pain to break down by hand vs later tires like car and semi tires. I've also broken both types down by hand. I'm not spoiled to have a personal tire machine, atleast not yet =). If the tires are shot, replace the tires. If they are OEM tires and you want to go for an OEM restore, then maybe tubes would be acceptable for the build but that would assume you wouldn't really be riding the machine then.

Good luck with the build.

--
    Your over spray issue could or should be cleaned up with some paint remover. Spray it on let it sit for a minute and wipe it off. Hope that helps

--
    Will grab a few pics the weekend before i start it. Took the tires to the local tire place, they told me that the damaged sidewall wouldn't hold with a tube. So I guess its new tires for it. Will pick up some paint for the racks, i'd like to powder coat but it is pretty pricey for the amount of stuff i want coated haha.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //