//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1983 200x tire choice

--

1983 200x tire choice

I once read on the forum that flat profile tires are more stable than balloon type tires. If this is correct I am thinking of changing my Kenda scorpion tires for CST ambush tires.
    I use my 200x for trail riding in the desert mostly. What tires are all you 200X riders using?
    All opinions are welcome. Thanks, Dan
    Last edited by NVdan; 04-04-2020 at 08:17 PM.

--
    Nice 200x, I have 22x10x8 wolley boggers on mine (it came with them not my choice)
    I want to step down to a 20x11x8 flat track tire like a ambush or ocelot tire.
    yes the more balloony the tire the less stable they are at speed and in the corners.
    Also a narrow front digs in like a rudder on the front and steers better than a balloon tire.
    Basically balloon tires are for non-suspension atc run low pressure for a better ride and grip.
    MrC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 28131.jpeg  

--
    MrC, Thanks for the reply. Good information just what I was looking for.
    Dan

--
    I’ve got ambushes in my 350x, and I like them a lot. They hook up very well. I wouldn’t want any more traction than they give, and you may find that a 200x struggles to break them loose cornering, depending on your riding level.

--
    67Sport, Thanks for the input. Too much grip could be a problem on a 200 I never thought of that.
    Dan

--
    I'm running a Kenda Front max 23x8-11 on the front of my 1983 AutoX and Maxxis All Traks in 22x11-8 on the rear. On my upcoming 1985 200X build, I'm planning to run the Ocelot rears like MrCondid mentioned. The All Traks get pretty good traction as far as I'm concerned.

--
    I have Kenda Pathfinder K530 tires front and rear. For Michigan trail riding they're great. I see a lot of packed dirt and sand, mixed with rough sections of roots and rocks. Having adequate clearance was a deciding factor for me.

Versus the 18" x-patterns that were on it when I bought it, I much prefer the 22" tire for trail riding. That being said, the worn out 18" slides out much easier and was a ton of fun in open areas. Stability-wise, I think the Pathfinders are very predictable and handle well... much better than a balloon tire.

As far as looks, a 20" or 22" rear tire on a stock 200X just looks "right" to me. Having the same style tire/tread front and rear is what ultimately led me to try them out. I'm digging them!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    1985 Honda 200X

--
    The Path Finders were the other choice for my AutoX. I think that I would have been happy either way. I also wanted the clearance of the 22" tires. sometimes it can make a big difference.

--
    350for350 and Jack G, Thanks for the information on what tires you are using and thinking about using. I think I need to keep my rear tires 22 inches tall because I need the clearance on the rough trails where I ride.
    My Kenda's are 2 ply and most of the other choices are 4 ply. Do you all think that makes much difference in ride quality and traction? What about 10 inch wheels vs 8 inch?
    Dan

--
    Quote Originally Posted by NVdan View Post
    My Kenda's are 2 ply and most of the other choices are 4 ply. Do you all think that makes much difference in ride quality and traction? What about 10 inch wheels vs 8 inch?
    Dan
    Generally speaking, a 2 ply tire is softer, more flexible, lighter, and provides a more comfortable ride than a 4/6 ply tire. There are some 4/6 ply tires out there that are so stiff they can almost be ran without any pressure lol... I'm exaggerating a bit there but the stiffness in the higher ply count tires is noticeable.

I personally love the look of a 10" rim. The thinner sidewall is much more aesthetic (gets away from the balloon look). A less subjective benefit of the 10" rim is there are more tire and offset options available. A 10" rim does decrease sidewall, so cushion/suspension will take a hit.

A Quick Comparison:
    4 ply tire and 10" rim
    A 4 ply will be more resilient to punctures, have almost no roll (side-to-side flex on the rim) in corners, and will probably break loose easier due to the short sidewall. This is great for high speed maneuvers. However, they will ride rougher and are heavy, adding rotational mass.

2 ply tire and 8" rim
    The softer 2 ply adds cushion, and with a high sidewall makes the ride more comfortable... Perfect for traction and technical riding. They are also lighter, putting less HP robbing strain on the motor. On the flip side, the higher sidewall makes them prone flex/roll in high speed cornering, making them feel less stable in some scenarios. Another downside is their susceptibility to punctures.

Maybe a combination of those two examples is what you need. There will always be compromise and you can't really go wrong either way. I'm no expert, but I don't think I'm too far off base.

If I had to choose right now, I'd probably go with a 10" rim with enough offset to negate the flex/roll of a 22" 2 ply tire, while still benefiting from the softer ride and good looks.

Hopefully some others will chip in. Sorry for the essay...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    1985 Honda 200X

--
    Personally, I prefer two ply tires. I just want the softer ride that they give. I don't care as much about higher speed maneuvering. Even on my 350X I don't do as much high speed riding any more. Now if I had a 250R, that would be a different story all together.

--
    Jack G and 350 for 350, thanks again for the information. I am leaning toward 22 inch CST's on 10 inch rims. I will keep my current set up, 22 inch Kenda's on 8 inch rims and swap them when I want .
    Dan

--
    It is nice to have that option.

--
    Finally got my CST Ambush tires on 10 inch wheels. They look good and the ride is a little stiffer than the Kenda's but OK. I weighed them when doing the change, mounted ready to ride they each weigh 2.8 pounds more than the Kenda's.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP1723.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	262561
    The CST's are taller even though they are both 22 inch.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP1722.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	262562

--
    The Kenda Scorpions are known for being quite a bit shorter than their stated size.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //