//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 200es stuck in neutral

--

200es stuck in neutral

I have a 1984 200es, runs perfect, drove great. Drove it onto trailer this morning, got to the cottage and rolled it off the trailer, now it won’t go into gear. Can shift into high/low/reverse but it’s still stuck in neutral. Oil level is good, rocking it back i and forth does nothing, adjusted 14mm bolt and it didnt work. What should I check next? Thanks

--
    Sounds like the shift "cage" as I call it might have broke, it's the part that connects to the shift shaft that you move with your food. It should give resistance pushing down on it to shift to first and if things are working right it has a bit of a click that goes with it. If it doesn't spin the shift drum, you won't get any gear changes. There's also resistance from the secondary clutch being activated, but I can't remember exactly how that's driven.

The clutch adjusting nut is just to adjust the clutch, doesn't really effect the actual shifting, just the clutching between gears.

Here's a pic, shift shaft is right near the top of the image. It's somewhat common for the cage part to break.

--
    Thanks, yeah it feels like it’s shifting when you use your foot but it just doesn’t. Is that cage in the sub trans or do I have to split the case to get to it?

--
    It should be just under the clutch cover. I haven't messed with a 200es engine in a while, but generally it's pretty easy to get to. Basically, pull the cover, check it and get a new gasket + the part needed.

Here's an interchange for the cage part (it comes off the shaft).

https://www.partzilla.com/product/ho...fcb22d0d800282

--
    Right on, appreciate it

--
    Hey, so I pulled the clutch cover off and everything seems good, that plate/cage looks fine. I’m assuming it would be noticeable if it was broken....
    Any other ideas on what to check?
    Thanks

--
    Does the shift star move when you try shifting with the cover off ?
    Part number 6

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ho...gearshift-fork

Also
    Check the rear axle and ring gear . Common place for the splines to wear out .
    Last edited by shortline10; 04-05-2020 at 04:20 PM.
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Yeah, the star modes when you shift. I’ll check the rear axle. Thanks

--
    I’m thinking it might be something in the tranny. I can click down for first but won’t click for second/third/fourth

--
    Im have the same problem with my YTM200. It runs, i shift it, it clicks and acts like its going to go but it will not move. All neutrals even if i rev it.

--
    Interesting, wouldn't hurt to have a photo/video. If it was a stripped gear or spines I would think there would atleast be a noise. You could turn the bell of the primary clutch and feel/listen for anything odd.

The shifter should return to center on it's own every shift. Spin the outer clutch drum and see if you can get it to fully click into gear, and try to see if you can hit 2nd. If manually spinning that part and shifting you can't get into first/second I'd fear the worst that there's a bent shift fork. Also make sure the ratchet system on the shift drum is working. I've done this with 250x engines and parts engines I've parted out, but it's been a really long time since I tore down a 200es engine.

Not sure how far you want to tear into it, but if you remove the parts needed to get to the ratchet parts and pull those out, there's a nut on the shift drum that holds the "star" onto the drum. You can take a ratchet and socket and lightly turn that while spinning the engine and it should go through the gears. There's no clicking but you can kind of feel the spots it's more happy in. You could eyeball where the spring tensioned arm would normally stop the drum for each gear and line it up about right and you should get the output of the engine to spin.

If you can get it to shift through the gears besides only first but still nothing from the rear wheels turning, I'd guess maybe the high/low/reverse sub trans might have a problem. With the machine positively in gear, if you spin the rear axle you might be able to hear the drive shaft spinning and such. Like if you spin the rear tires while moving the lever for the sub trans, you should feel the gears a little where they don't want to lock in then it will if the wheels are turning the sub trans gears. Same story for the engine side if trans side is in gear.

I don't think I have a 200es laying around that's complete enough or pulled apart to show a good example of a working unit. I know on some other models the sub trans can cause problems, I abused the snot out of the 200es I grew up with and didn't have a bit of problems. Anything is possible though and I could see that part not making noise

Also, remember the 200es shifts backwards from most engines, shift down to increase gear, shift up for lower gears with neutral at the top.

Also, while turning the bell of the primary clutch, make sure the secondary clutch outside and inside are both spinning. If the center doesn't spin, the transmission input shaft isn't spinning.

Here's a reference from the Honda service manual for some more ideas.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20190117_142511_698.jpg  

--
    Awesome, those are some great tips. Hopefully have a chance later today to look at it again.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //