//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Chain tension 1986 200x

--

Chain tension 1986 200x

Newbie here. Not my first ATC, but first time with this issue. Trying to install new chain and sprockets. I cannot get the correct 86 link chain to fit on the new 13 and 38 tooth sprockets. If I adjust the axle as loose as it will go, the chain is very difficult to get on the sprockets as it is way too tight. According to the Clymer manual, the adjuster positioning when assembling the rear axle assembly doesn't work. Looking at the adjuster from the left side, if the adjuster is turned fully counter clockwise, it should be at its most loose position. This would mean the rearmost notch on the adjuster would be at 12 o'clock. On mine, the rearmost notch is at its most loose position at about 11 o'clock. If I go further counterclockwise, the chain starts getting tighter. I took the adjustment stop bolt out and turned it to the stops in both directions and the chain would not loosen enough to install. What gives? Maybe the cheap chain and sprockets that came with the trike are at fault? I was thinking about a half link, but I don't think there will be enough adjustment to tighten the chain then. Just doesn't seem to be much adjustment on this thing.

--
    Could you post a picture of what you are looking at? I don't recall exactly, but I think I have 13/38 on my '87. I can take a look at my setup and see if there is anything different from yours.
    1987 Honda 250SX
    1987 Honda 200X

--
    Took the carrier out of the swing arm and cleaned up. All looks normal. Found the spot where the chain would be at the most loose point and marked. Reassembled and tried to install the chain. Barely able to fit the master link. Had to work at it. No way it can be this tight! I think the problem is with the no name chain and sprocket that came with the Trike. Installed the old chain and rear sprocket. They didn't look that bad. Stretching out the old chain next to the new, the old chain is about 2 inches longer. Hmmm! Doesn't lift that far off the sprocket.

--
    Pics?
    Count the links on your “new” chain
    13t on the front sprocket (count em) and the rear 38
    Do not install it to tight/ it’ll heat up your front sp shaft bearing (don’t want that)
    Double check (don’t trust an eBay sellers listing) check for yourself,

Try tapatalk for (forum) loading pics( think I pay $1 dollar a month) seems to work great and bigger pics too. Easier than I thought it would be.

Shep

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //