//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Noob with an ATC90 needs advice from the experts

--

Noob with an ATC90 needs advice from the experts

I'm doing a top end refresh on an ATC90 that was stored over 20 years ago. While cleaning up crusty engine parts I noticed the left engine case is broken right above the sprocket. I've read that this is a fairly common issue on trikes, caused by snapping the chain and having it bunch up and punch thru the case. The broken web is in the 10 oclock area if you're looking at the sprocket. (Forgive me, but it appears my pic is going to post sideways...)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1066.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	262353

There's no oil residue in this cavity or in the mating cavity on the left engine cover. It's the area that the neutral indicator shaft passes thru. Is this a "dry" area inside the motor, or will I have a huge oil leak once I get it running?

If it must be repaired, what's the best way? JB Weld? Welding a new web into place? I looked into replacing the engine case, but it looks to me like the whole engine's innards are assembled into the left case first - thus requiring a complete engine teardown.

Thanks guys!
    Butch

--
    Surely someone has run into this problem before, and has the right answer for me...

--
    Yes common issue. I would just JB weld it.
    Also keep a Click image for larger version. 

Name:	case saver 4.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	435.0 KB 
ID:	262410look out on ebay for a case saver. It will save you some trouble in the future.
    * 1978 ATC 90/180 Pauter PJ1 / Springer "Team BAPP" Bike *

* 1980 ATC 110/180 "Danny's Machine Works" 3D Sprint Dune Bike *

* Nicholson 500 Race Bike *

* HPATC Yamaha RD350 "Big Moe" Trike *

--
    Thanks for the advice - JB Weld it is then. That case saver's a great idea - I'll keep an eye out for one (or fab one up!)

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //