//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Should I save it.

--

Should I save it.

A guy at work called me about a 1985 Big Red he came across. Was going to be scrapped with the truck it was in. After some tough negotiations, “a case of beer“ I’ll be picking it up this weekend. Not sure if I won’t to fix it or part it out. I guess it depends on the condition of the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    For a case of beer I’d try to start it!
    Trikes owned:
    83 Honda 200x "Liquid X"
    81 DG 250r : Sold

--
    It looks like the exhaust is still there and the air box. Original tires too?

How does something that looks like a low hour trike end up so bare.

Tough call. It kind of depends on the spare parts you have available or if you plan to keep it, but at least throw some fuel at it and see if it'll run. If it does, rig up a tank and ride it to see if everything is shifting a jiving.

Not covered in mud. Frame paint doesn't look like it sat in the sun for decades. Front rack doesn't look like hell. Both brake levers still attached. Headlight, meh.

It looks so promising if you have most of the other part to go back on it. The 250ES is the quintessential Bid Red. Nobody is thinking of a dumpy 200E or 200ES when they think...Big Red.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    It can be a cool project. Have you tried starting it?

--
    Save it! You have the ability. You have the technology. Make it better, faster, stronger.....

--
    Just don't spend $6 million...

--
    So glad you saved it! Cost will depend on how particular you are getting it all back together. Using original parts as much as possible will take the price tag very high... If you just want a runner you should be able to get it going reasonably cheap (like you said as long as there aren't any major problems like a seized piston or shot rear end). Using it as a parts donor if you find another Big Red in better condition is never a bad idea either, or sell the parts to fund purchase of another machine.

You've got lots of options!
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

--
    If I can get it running, the hunt begins. I’ll be spending spare time scouring the web for parts. Probably just be a runner. Did this a couple years back with my 200x. Plans to restore but have too much fun riding it to break it down to restore.

--
    Judging by the little amount of rust and mildew on the cables / grips/ frame I don't think it has been sitting out in the weather very long
    Value as it sits $100-$250 easy

1. Check compression if 130-150 its a win, if not either topend or part it out.
    2. Check for spark (replace coil, cdi or plug if needed)
    3. Clean or replace carb (ebay $16)
    4. Order full fiberglass replacement fender kit on Ebay for $150
    5. Order 3 new $55 ocelot tires from chapperal atv in cali.
    6. Order 2-pack LED round off road lights. $45
    7. Order a new UNI air filter $22
    8. Order a seat $200

You will have about $700, if your lucky. Even a free bike can cost you.

Now if you get it running for $700 and you sell it for $1400, you make $700 profit for your time
    or sell it for $200 as is and make $175 and do nothing.
    or Strip it and sell all the parts on Facebook/craigslist/ebay and make about $2000 in 6 months.

So, you have many choices, but none are losers when it comes to a Honda ATC.
    Personally, I would save it, but I try to save them all- "I'm on a mission"

MrC.
    Last edited by MrConcdid; 04-24-2020 at 10:07 AM.

--
    That's a nice score no matter what you do with it. ��

--
    Well I picked it up and was a little disappointed. Its been out in the weather and the controls are seized. But his neighbor had a gas tank in ok condition and a seat. Cost me more booze. But well worth it. He might have an extra axle/rear end too. After I got it home was able to get it to fire and run off staring fluid.

--
    I would say you scored. I’m pretty sure you can find control switches.
    Trikes owned:
    83 Honda 200x "Liquid X"
    81 DG 250r : Sold

--
    After some trouble fitting the gas tank and seat. Did some research and they are for a big red Trx 300 atv. Bummer. Oh well. Carb needs rebuilt/replaced. Oil line to top of cylinder is missing a banjo bolt and washers. Starting spewing oil out when it started. So I’ll get those ordered if I can find them and try to find a gas tank.

--
    I've had luck in the past by spraying stuck switches with WD-40 or something similar. Sometimes that will free them up. Take the apart and spray the part that actually moves inside the housing. If it doesn't work, you're still not out very much.

--
    Just got some parts in. Was able to track down the banjo bolt for the oil passage line. Took the carb off and cleaned it. Was able to get it fired up on a long fuel line full of gas to be able to shift through the gears. Going to order tires and a plastic tank next. Would like an original but having a hard time finding a good/affordable one.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //