//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: '79 ATC 110 metal in oil

--

'79 ATC 110 metal in oil

So I've been using my ATC 110 around the farm for a few weeks now, hauling a small trailer. Today I heard somwthing not right in the engine. It was barely noticeable but I know this machine like the back of my hand and I'd never heard it before. I turned it off and checked the oil and there were a couple little flakes in it. Again, barely noticeable and so tiny I nearly missed them. Is this something I should be worried about? I know it's due for an oil change, the clutch is likely original and probably pretty worn, and I've been running it hard. And if I need a rebuild is there a good shop that can build me a motor? If I need a rebuild I'd definitely like to put a big bore kit on and if possible add reverse.

--
    Upon closer inspection I believe the noise I was hearing was my valves going out of adjustment, and the metal is most likely the clutch. Does anyone sell a complete clutch kit with the friction plates, springs, other plates, etc?

--
    Valves going out of adjustment make less noise because the gap turns into nothing. Should have a very slight ticking sound. I've heard quite ATC engines, and the valves were too tight, no slack at all, which is risking a burnt valve. When the valve contacts the seat, it disperses heat. If the valve doesn't fully contact the seat (too tight) it can overheat and burn (melt a groove in the valve seating area).

Metal shouldn't be coming from the clutch. If it isn't' slipping or dragging, it's fine.

What you may have heard and seen was one of those, it didn't hurt it, but didn't help it moments. Otherwise known as, keep riding it and don't worry, nothing to do about it.

If it's due for an oil change, why were 'running it hard' and pulling a trailer?

Like a goomba would say...fuggedaboutit.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    Valves going out of adjustment make less noise because the gap turns into nothing. Should have a very slight ticking sound. I've heard quite ATC engines, and the valves were too tight, no slack at all, which is risking a burnt valve. When the valve contacts the seat, it disperses heat. If the valve doesn't fully contact the seat (too tight) it can overheat and burn (melt a groove in the valve seating area).

Metal shouldn't be coming from the clutch. If it isn't' slipping or dragging, it's fine.

What you may have heard and seen was one of those, it didn't hurt it, but didn't help it moments. Otherwise known as, keep riding it and don't worry, nothing to do about it.

If it's due for an oil change, why were 'running it hard' and pulling a trailer?

Like a goomba would say...fuggedaboutit.
    Yeah, probably should have changed the oil sooner... I know the clutch is original from '78 so I'm going to just redo it. It's slipping a little. Can I do that with it still on the bike or should I pull the motor? And which gasket should I get for that cover? I see a few variations and they all say they're for an "atc 110 right side clutch cover"

--
    You should be able change the clutch with the engine still in. Maybe you have a table or lift to put the trike on so it's easier to work on?

I prefer to use OEM gaskets when available, and that one still is for your 70.

Part Number 11394-GW8-681. It's $8.24 on Bike Bandit.

The OEM clutch plates are available too and less than $50 for all of them.

For that price, I wouldn't risk cheap aftermarket clutches. Scraping the gasket off the cover and engine isn't worth having to do it twice.

--
    Great, thanks for the info. I think I'm going to go with an EBC clutch though, their brakes are really good so I'm thinking their clutches are more of the same

--
    Finally got all the clutch parts in and got it rebuilt today. The clutch was definitely the issue. I have it back together and it's running great but missing shifts. I adjusted it like the factory spec, tighten till it stops then back off 1/4 turn, after about an hour of fiddling with it I got it fairly good but I sometimes still have to try twice before it goes into the next gear, most often going into 3rd and 4th.... I have a similar issue going into 2nd and 3rd with my z50 too so it's probably user error and not something wrong mechanically

--
    Not that it would just affect shifting to certain gears, but is the shifter lever touching anything during full movement?

--
    I don't think so, but could that lever have moved when I took the clutch apart? Is it normal for the adjustment to have it shifting nice to be a razor's edge? Seems like there's a hair's width where it shifts nicely and either side it's missing gears

--
    Did you soak the new clutch in oil or just wipe the plates with oil before installing?

--
    I just wiped some oil on, but I let the engine idle for 5 or 10 minutes before I put it in gear. I got a shop manual now, I'm going to take the cover off and double check how the adjuster is set up.

Edit: I'm gonna just get another set of friction plates just in case and let them soak before I take it all apart again
    Last edited by RadRacer203; 05-20-2020 at 04:24 PM.

--
    Since you just wiped them with oil, if you have a week or so to let it sit, then do that before doing trying anything else.

I am a soaker, and put them in a baggie of oil the day before installing. The last clutch I replaced, I didn't adhere to that and just wiped some oil on them with my hands and installed. Clutch had been slipping for a long time and I was just wanting to get it done. Aftermarket clutch too. Started the bike and the clutch was dragging, couldn't find neutral with the engine running (motorcycle,-between 1st and 2nd), and gear shifts were hard. I rode it around for half an hour and nothing changed. I parked it.

Frustrated that I didn't buy a higher quality clutch and figuring that was what I needed to do, but didn't feel like messing with it, I let the bike sit a couple weeks.

Had a short errand to run after a week or so, and the clutch was working fine. I should have soaked the plates like I normally do.

--
    Since I'm gonna take the cover off again anyway, I'm just gonna double check I didn't damage the clutch disks or anything. If anything looks wrong I'll probably just get a new set of friction disks. Only $20 so not awful if I have to replace them again

--
    Well, I finally took it all apart again and did everything according to the service manual. New friction material again and a new gasket. And it still shifts like garbage. I can't figure this one out at all. Is there anyone in the Massachusetts area that might be able to help? I love this machine but my god am I pissed off right now. Did everything by the book, literally, and I can't get the damn thing adjusted to where it shifts like it did before. I'm at my wits end, I really need someone who has more experience give me a hand

--
    Did you check the shift drum stopper ? It holds tension on the shift drum and holds the gears in place .
    Very common problem for it to come loose , bend or break .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //