//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 87 200x parking brake help

jasong_10 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

87 200x parking brake help

Could someone please post some pictures of an 86/87 rear brake caliper installed on an ATC with the parking brake cable hooked up?

The X I just picked up had the parking brake unhooked as the cast ear/arm was broken off the caliper housing. I put a new caliper on and think I know how the cable is supposed to hook up, but can't figure out how to get it there. So I figured I'd ask a bunch of people who know a whole lot more about it than me, lol.

Thank you.
    Jason

85 ATC 250R - restored stock other than 18" rears, nerf bars, Honda key switch, 14T front sprocket, and white tank and plastics (except rad shrouds)

87 ATC 200X - restored stock other than 18" rears and nerf bars

84 TRX 200 - rough but complete budget restore for wife and eventually daughters to bum around on

Eton Viper 50cc - oldest daughter's current ride

--

87 200x parking brake help

This may help, 86 200x but the cast ear/arm is from a trx450r
    The 200x arm is just a bit lower but e-brake connection is the same- I can get a better pic tomorrow when/if the rain ever stops.

Edit: here’s a stock 200x e-brake

Shep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Shep1970; 04-27-2020 at 09:57 AM.

--
    I run a billet block off plate and eliminate it. It’s an option if your not set on stock setup.

--
    also remember, for the e-brake to work correctly, you need to adjust it as the pads wear. To do that, loosen the nut and turn the bolt until the bolt stops and slightly back it off. Then spin the rear wheels to check that it moves easily, but there needs to be kind of a "interference" fit, tighten the nut after. To check, put the e-brake on and you should be able to easily pin spin the wheels. I noticed that this led to much faster wear on the brake pads and put a block off plate.

jasong_10 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep1970 View Post
    This may help, 86 200x but the cast ear/arm is from a trx450r
    The 200x arm is just a bit lower but e-brake connection is the same- I can get a better pic tomorrow when/if the rain ever stops.

Edit: here’s a stock 200x e-brake

Shep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the pics, I thought that's how it went but couldn't get there without the visual. I got it hooked up only to find out that even with the cable adjusted as long as possible it was engaging the caliper by just being hooked up. Then I adjusted the arm on the caliper to address that issue which led to there not being enough "pull" left in the cable to activate caliper, lol. I have to address a badly bent rear rotor and possibly bent rotor mount first, so I tabled the parking brake issue for now. Thanks again for the pics.
    Jason

85 ATC 250R - restored stock other than 18" rears, nerf bars, Honda key switch, 14T front sprocket, and white tank and plastics (except rad shrouds)

84 TRX 200 - rough but complete budget restore for wife and eventually daughters to bum around on

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Z 250 View Post
    I run a billet block off plate and eliminate it. It’s an option if your not set on stock setup.
    Thought crossed my mind but I had already bought pieces that would be useless if I did.
    Jason

--
    Quote Originally Posted by deathman53 View Post
    also remember, for the e-brake to work correctly, you need to adjust it as the pads wear. To do that, loosen the nut and turn the bolt until the bolt stops and slightly back it off. Then spin the rear wheels to check that it moves easily, but there needs to be kind of a "interference" fit, tighten the nut after. To check, put the e-brake on and you should be able to easily pin spin the wheels. I noticed that this led to much faster wear on the brake pads and put a block off plate.
    To be honest I'll probably never use it, lol. I just want it to be 100% complete before I start phase 2 of the restoration.
    Jason

--
    Make sure you grease the guts of that parking brake very well.

There's a reason most of the parking brakes are disconnected...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Rotor and rotor mount are straightened and good to go. Now back to the parkingbrake. Shep1970, thanks again for the pics, they showed me why my cable seemed too short, the arm on my new caliper is the same as the one in the first pic which is higher and further back than the OEM in the second pic. So now I just have to get a 86/87 parking brake assembly and swap it on to my new caliper and I should be all set.

10-4 on the grease Dirtcrasher, it took 2 days soaking in PB Blaster to disassemble the broken assembly that came on it, lol.
    Jason

--
    Got the correct parking brake assembly Monday and ordered the adjuster screw/shaft today, so by the middle of next week I should have it all buttoned up.
    Jason

--
    Picked up the adjuster screw/shaft yesterday and put everything together today. After a little adjusting we were in business, even had a little time to start fabbing up the nerf bars. Thanks again for everyone's help.
    Jason

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //