//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Newbie help

--

Newbie help

I just picked up a 1984 Yamaha tri moto 200. It hasn稚 ran for a bit. I am just wondering what I値l need to do for basics before I try and start it up. I値l drain the gas new plug oil and filter. Any other suggestions? I also have 2 flats on it should I look for new tires or can I run tubes?

--
    Pictures or it didn’t happen. I ran a tube in one of my 250r rear tires.
    Trikes owned:
    83 Honda 200x "Liquid X"
    81 DG 250r : Sold

--
    Sounds like a good start. I'd try and find the air leaks in the tires before I replaced them. Fill a plastic tote large enough to fit the tire in with water. Fill the tire with air and place it in the tote and look for air bubbles. Many leaks can be fixed by installing a plug. If its a leak in the side wall then you will most likely need a new tire. My original 350X front tire has a couple plugs in it and works fine.
    In the garage
    2007 Yamaha Tri-Z 450
    2017 YZ 250F
    2003 XR100 (son's)
    2005 Raptor 350 (other son's)

Gone but not forgotten
    86 350X
    16 WR 250R
    03 FZ1
    96 Katana 600
    89 XT350
    84 250R
    84 200X
    79 ATC 110
    74 ATC 90

--
    First thing I would suggest is going on eBay and finding yourself a manual.

Your engine has two oil filters. There is a screen near the shift shaft on the left side of the engine. You can’t miss it, it looks a massive washer with a nut protruding from it. This is also your oil drain plug, so make sure you have a catch pail in place when you remove it and don’t forget to tip the trike slightly to the left before you finish to get all the old oil out. You can just blow the screen out with air, or wash it with thinner. I would recommend replacing the large O-ring though. In theory its reusable, but given the age of your trike it is probably hard, flat and maybe cracked.

On the right hand side of your engine towards the front just above the centerline of the clutch you will see a small cover with three socket head screws securing it. That is your oil filter, if you have the original it will be a very fine mesh metallic screen and again it can be cleaned with thinners, or carburetor cleaner. You can also replace if you want. You will notice if there’s a little tab on the end of the cover for this filter. You need to make sure that it lines up with the rubber grommet on the filter when you go to put it back on, otherwise the filter will end up crooked in the hole and you wont be able to compress the spring.

You can buy any namebrand 10W-40 oil to use, just remember that you take your dipstick reading with the dipstick unscrewed and gently set into the hole in the cover, you do not thread it in to check the oil level.

You might want to clean your carburetor before you try to start the engine, but that’s up to you. At some point you should adjust your cam chain once you start using the trike, but you can do this after you get the manual and get the trike moving as it needs to be adjusted with the engine running.

There is also a very simple clutch adjustment that you can perform using the steps in the manual once you get it going.

Other than this my suggestion would be to deal with the problems as they come up after a few laps around the yard. With respect to the tires I would not run tubes as my experience has been the valve stems get ripped off almost immediately. Unfortunately there are no currently made tires that offer the same bounce and balloon affect of the original Dunlops that came on that machine. I suggest that you don't buy Kenda scorpion tires, as they are hard as rock and offer no bounce. I gave my set away.
    Last edited by El Camexican; 04-28-2020 at 06:42 PM. Reason: I suck at talking to my phone

--
    thanks for the help guys I got a few things ordered ripped the bike apart and emptied all the oil and gas. Once I get all my parts I値l put a post and hope it runs!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //