//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 250es Shifting Problem but Nothing Appears Broke

--

250es Shifting Problem but Nothing Appears Broke

I replaced my shifter spindle now my shifter will not return up or down after shifting. I have researched the forum and looks like there are a few common parts that usually break and cause this. Nothing looks broke when I have the side cover off. Part #21 is in place and not broke, and I replaced the spring (20) and the plate (19) but same result. It works perfect when the cover is off, returns correctly and shifts smooth but when I put the cover on, It gets in a bind and does not return. I can make it go into gear and reverse but I'm scared it will damage something else if I keep doing this. The new spindle came from a 85 trx which had the same part # as my 1985 250es and looks to be exactly the same size. Am I missing something here? And to add to it, I over tightened one of the bolts for the side cover and cracked the inside casing where the bolt goes in. All other bolts get tight except this one which is right under the shifter so I am not sure if it will leak oil. The only thing I can think to fix this is JB weld but it may not hold when I put the bolt in. I don't think the cracked bolt hole is causing the shifter not to return though. I have went through 3 gaskets and keep taking both side covers off trying to fix this but no luck. The reverse lever on the right side (that goes on the other end of the spindle) is lined up correctly. So I am at a lost!
    S.P.
    1985 ATC 250ES BIG RED (work horse)
    1984 ATC200S (play tirke)
    2020 CRF450R
    2020 CRF110

--
    Should I try to put the left side cover on first, then the right? It seems like something is getting caught up, perhaps with the reverse lever on the other end of the shifter rod, on the right side maybe, I dunno.
    S.P.
    2020 CRF450R
    2020 CRF110

--
    Ok I narrowed it down to find the right side cover is not going on correctly. It appears the clutch lever is not fitting into the clutch lifter right. It is not getting into the groove. I am putting the arm that is connected to the shifter shaft on first lining it up with the dot before I put the cover on. How is this arm supposed to get seated into the clutch lifter?
    Last edited by Sperdue; 06-08-2020 at 07:29 AM.
    S.P.
    2020 CRF450R
    2020 CRF110

--
    It's official, I'm an idiot! I needed to put the clutch lever on the side cover first. I was putting the clutch lever and the reverse arm with the spring onto the motor fist. WRONG! It was a little tricky putting the side cover on without the washer and lever falling off but it went of just right. Now after all that, I realized I left the screen filter out. I have ordered another gasket so after 4 gaskets and 10 tries, I think i got it.
    S.P.
    2020 CRF450R
    2020 CRF110

--
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...pdated-9-13-07

I think you manual troubles could very well be over.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //