//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Noisey 200 engine

--
    Well guys, I guess im stuck. Can’t get the timing inspection plug out. Tried a bunch of things, tried a big chiesel, screwdrivers, piece of flat bar, etc. It just strips and doesn’t want to budge. Also tried to remove the cdi cover screws, one came out. The other wants to strip. Tried shocking it with a a few times but doesn’t want to budge. Most likely this bike wasn’t touched in years. It was parked for 25 years, I’d say valves need to be adjusted and the timing chain. Very bummed out, I just restored the bike only to be held up with this. Pretty sure that plug is aluminum, which means I can’t really weld a nut to it.

--
    Update:
    Okay guys, rebumping this thread because i've been busy over the last two weeks and never poked the bike until just now again.

Just managed to open the timing inspection cover (the flat head plug) After multiple tries, I eventually got it to spin loose after whacks at different angles with a .
    Funny part is on my 200M I cannot see any timings such as F or T or any of that on my 200M. In the video the guy is working on a 200S and the timing marks are clear. On my 200M theres like a black plastic piece you can see and no visible timing marks. It actually surprised me when it didn't look like the video. So I cant go off that for setting the valves.

I tried to pop off the CDI cover again, left phillip screw came out, the right one won't budge. Im gonna get a torch tomorrow or something. I snapped off my screwdriver, literally. It didn't strip fully, but just snapped my screwdriver clean off haha... So i Cannot go off those timing marks either...

I did run the bike up, let it warm up a bit so it idled then adjusted the cam tensioner like in the video. Free'd it up and then pulled up and tightened the lock nut. The top end is still noisey, I am thinking valves for sure need to be adjusted. I took the bike for a spin around the yard, it runs great.
    I popped off the valve cover on the front and oil was shooting out at me, so i am assuming its getting lots of oil pressure.

I own a 200E big red as well and that engine is very quiet. I am just going off my big red as a reference, the 200M is a bit noisey for sure.

Made a video, what do you guys think is wrong with it ?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL7K...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by SteveRoll; 05-19-2020 at 03:36 PM.

--
    That's (one of) the difference in a wet stator and a dry stator. Dry stator flywheels are easier to see. The inspection plug on wet stator models seems very poorly placed. You CAN see the marks but it's not easy and even harder to get an accurate timing light on one.
    Can't win them all...even with a Honda.

Also....why do you need to see the timing marks to set the valves? If you can get the cover plugs out to set the valves, just watch the opposite valve. When the exhaust is wide open....pretty safe bet the intake is not. If it is, you got bigger problems. LOL. Just be sure the opposing valve is all the way down to account for any overlap.
    Last edited by Gabriel; 05-19-2020 at 04:15 PM.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    That's (one of) the difference in a wet stator and a dry stator. Dry stator flywheels are easier to see. The inspection plug on wet stator models seems very poorly placed. You CAN see the marks but it's not easy and even harder to get an accurate timing light on one.
    Can't win them all...even with a Honda.

Also....why do you need to see the timing marks to set the valves? If you can get the cover plugs out to set the valves, just watch the opposite valve. When the exhaust is wide open....pretty safe bet the intake is not. If it is, you got bigger problems. LOL. Just be sure the opposing valve is all the way down to account for any overlap.
    I'll have another look but its incredibly hard to see any timing marks. I am trying to correct the top end engine noise like in the video i linked. Its not the timing chain, so possibly valves or maybe the piston. I just wouldnt want the engine to grenade on me when it possibly could have been prevented.
    From my understanding of engines valves are supposed to be adjusted at TDC ( top dead centre) that way both valves are closed and can be adjusted at the same time. Basically the compression stroke. I never adjusted valves on a simple little Honda before but have on some big engines.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //