//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Honda 230x project with pitster pro motor

--
    Very nice looking bike, Sounds great, you did some clean work there, only the trained eye could tell. Very nice.
    Congrats and enjoy it, you earned it. Keep us posted after your first 100 miles.
    MrC.

--
    Your battery mounting setup is probably much more durable than welding one to the frame. I'd think any tabs would be prone to ripping out unless the battery box was rubber mounted. The back end does a lot of slamming around at higher speeds and lead acid batteries are very heavy. Lithium complex batteries significantly lessen the stress on mounts, but are expensive.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Awesome write up, thank you as I'm in the middle of the exact same engine swap. I got mine unit direct from China, complete with carb, all wiring, and switchgear for $470. It's also black and not silver. I'm going to run a pod filter on mine and will be repurposing the air box as the battery box. Thanks for the work!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokoneer View Post
    Awesome write up, thank you as I'm in the middle of the exact same engine swap. I got mine unit direct from China, complete with carb, all wiring, and switchgear for $470. It's also black and not silver. I'm going to run a pod filter on mine and will be repurposing the air box as the battery box. Thanks for the work!
    Don’t make the same mistake as me using the air box for a battery box. Fab one up like mine or plevibs
    Trikes owned:
    83 Honda 200x "Liquid X"
    81 DG 250r : Sold

--
    Quote Originally Posted by x-rider View Post
    Don’t make the same mistake as me using the air box for a battery box. Fab one up like mine or plevibs
    I must have missed why using the air box to hold the battery instead isn't a good idea, could you elaborate please? Thanks.

--
    I would guess that it's because the battery is too heavy and will cause the airbox mounts to break off.

--
    I must have missed why using the air box to hold the battery instead isn't a good idea, could you elaborate please? Thanks.
    It does work good as a battery box and will support the weight of the battery, except now you can’t use the air box filter, also you have to cut a small notch to run your wires into it. Now your carb and air filter are supported just by the rubber air intake boot. I was able to support it with zip ties, but it will still vibrate and cause the air intake boot to crack causing an air leak. Also the boot off the air intake box helps support the carb. Either way, but I realized the fabricated battery box is a better option. Good luck.
    Trikes owned:
    83 Honda 200x "Liquid X"
    81 DG 250r : Sold

--
    Valid points, thanks for the input, time to reconsider...

--
    Hey, I am just curious where you ordered your engine from, and if you have been happy with it so far? I have an '85 200x that has some oil leaks and the kickstart gear slips over pretty bad. I am trying to decide if I should rebuild it. It seems like it would be a whole lot easier to just drop a new engine in there.

--
    rebuilding is cheaper then new. you need to buy a crf230f whuch wont be cheap and prob be worn out also. estimate $2-2500 for a ok running machine. you could rebould your full motor and then some for prob $700

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //