//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Honda 230x project with pitster pro motor

plevib is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

Honda 230x project with pitster pro motor

So unfortunately old faithful has started acting up. 85 200x, xr cam, intake, and carb, dg exhaust, barnett clutch, wiseco 10.25 stock bore piston, mild port and polish. Its been a great little motor, but the 35 year old bottom end has had it. Started making bad noises a couple days ago. I was reading and thinking about what I wanted to do. This is the 2nd bottom end I've been through (lots of hours and a little racing on this trike) so I was thinking maybe its time to get away from 35 year old parts and get a newer motor. Its a very clean machine and I have the title so I was looking for bolt in options, not frame mods. I've been hesitant to go with a lifan for parts availability and the HP loss going to a pushrod engine. Then I saw that a crf230 engine is a bolt in option some guys on here have done. Only modification is I will need to build a new brake pedal. But rather than pay big $$$ on ebay for clapped out heap, or tear apart a good bike for the motor, I bought a pitster pro 230.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (8).jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	262650

Its a almost exact copy of the crf230. (bigger bore and has kick and E start are the big differences I noticed) Pitster pro has a good reputation and great parts availability with a real dealer network.
    $970 shipped to my door, 17HP out of the box (probably more than my mildly hopped up 200) and it'll be brand new. Hopefully good for another 35 years! Plus electric start AND kickstart backup is a great addition. IDK how long shipping will take but I'm super stoked to breath new life into the trike I grew up riding. I'll be documenting the build including any issues or modifications I have to deal with here.
    Atc 500x for the win! (Hopefully.... one day)

--
    Good luck on the build. Might as well ride the dirt bike before you tear it apart. I wish mine had the kick starter.
    Edit: Just realized you just got the motor.
    Trikes owned:
    83 Honda 200x "Liquid X"
    81 DG 250r : Sold

plevib is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Ok this project is moving lightning fast! So first of all, so far, I'm loving pitster pro. The order arrived 5 business days after ordering, which is impressive in my book. They called me before shipping to confirm a listing mistake on their end. Very happy dealing with them. Hopefully their engine is as good as their customer service.

Name:	IMG_20200512_155057.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	262723

Name:	IMG_20200512_155450.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	262724

So here's what arrived, motor, wiring harness, cdi, coil, key, starter solenoid, shifter, kicker, intake, carb, clutch and throttle cables. Lots of goodies with this motor, for 900 bucks I'm very happy. It is very similar to the honda, main differences being deck height and e start.

Name:	IMG_20200512_161017.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	262726

I pulled the rocker box to see what kind of cam they used, turns out its a roller bearing cam. I checked valve lash and i'm glad i did because they were both TIGHT. So i set them to honda specs. Thats really my only complaint with the engine out of the box. I thought about pulling the side covers off to check fasteners, but every fastener i can get to is tight so i'm not gonna crack it open any further.

Name:	IMG_20200512_181319.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	262725

All of the motor mounts except the top were a direct bolt it, although a little tight. I had to pry the motor mounts open a little get it to slide in. The xr200 intake and carb bolted right up. The exhaust fit fine, but i ran out of threads toward the base of the studs so i had to use spacers.

Things I will have to modify: clutch pedal, brake pedal, top motor mount, fab battery box. I also need to trim things like turn signals and kickstand switch out of the harness, its a bit bulky. But I got everything zip tied up for a first break in ride.

I used a jump pack and it started up right away, I took it around easy for about 15 minutes so I can't say anything about the performance other than its got more low end than the old engine. The main thing I was surprised about was how much deeper the exhaust note is. Just 30cc bigger but its a noticeable change. (video is after warm up and ride)

Anyways I'm super stoked about new life in my old girl, can't wait to get it all buttoned up.

--
    What tires are those?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by veyeable View Post
    What tires are those?
    They look like Kenda Scorpions, very stiff. If so I wouldn't recommend them for a solid axle trike.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    They look like Kenda Scorpions, very stiff. If so I wouldn't recommend them for a solid axle trike.
    Really? I love these tires. They are scorpions and they are absolutely perfect for a light trike. Break loose easy in turns but get good traction in a straight line. And aren't they like one of the most popular choices for racing? or turf tamers or just lawn mower tires work too haha....

Anyway i definitely recommend them for a solid axle trike if you like to turn on occasion.........

I had factory tires for my childhood (way too round, alright grip), tried some lumberjacks which were too heavy and round, then I got these kendas and the handling difference is amazing. I never realized how much the weight of the tires affected handling and apparent power

--
    Looks like you had to modify the same things as me. I went with an ims shifter. Rear brakes still need finishing. I made new top mount brackets for mine. Also had to grind a little tab off the bottom of my motor, and drilled a hole in the skid plate to access oil drain plug. Wiring wasn’t too bad. Have you tried the estart? Man I wish I had a kicker!! I’m thinking about going to the xr200 intake boot. My brother and nephew have 95 and 01 xr200’s and the boots look like a close match for me. They also look like better quality than the China junk. What year xr200 boot are you using?
    Trikes owned:
    83 Honda 200x "Liquid X"

--
    Yes I actually hooked a battery up and used the electric start for the first ride. Worked great. And the kicker is.... not ideal haha.... it hits the footpeg bracket pretty early so i hope i don't ever NEED to use it. I think it would be very difficult to start it that way. I may try to modify the kicker to clear the footpeg more and get a little more swing. I don't remember what year the xr boot is, its been on there for many years haha...

--
    At my age all I care about is my spine. I found them to be narrow, shorts and stiff, which is probably why you find that they turn well. Mr. Sound put mine on his KLT.

I’m scared to think what I’d be willing to pay for a set of the NOS Dunlop’s that came on my YTM. Soft ride and expanded like dragster slicks at speed. Can’t find anything like that now.

--

Name:	IMG_20200514_155245.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	262753

Name:	IMG_20200514_182559.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	262754

Got the wiring all done except the handle bar switch which is on order.

Name:	IMG_20200514_191440.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	262755

Name:	IMG_20200514_191459.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	262756

Here is the battery box i fabbed up. The hose clamp is because it hangs on the frame so i didn't have to weld it to the frame. Its covered by the battery and everything is very snug.

Name:	IMG_20200514_194236.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	262757

top motor mounts, easy peasy.

I didn't get pictures of the last few things i made yet, a brake lever from a lever i stole from a roached quad, I modified the shifter to work, I also ended up modifying the kicker to clear the foot peg a little more to get more rotation. This project is going fast and smooth so far. Tomorrow I'll put all the parts back on it and all i'll be missing is the headlight (LED on order for it) and the handlebar switch

--

Name:	IMG_20200515_101505.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	262760

Name:	IMG_20200515_101510.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	262761

Name:	IMG_20200515_101530.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	262762

Pretty much done with this project, gotta do a little tuning and get my handlebar switch wired when it comes in. So far i'm loving having a new motor. Starts awesome, electric and kick start, seems to have more power than the old motor (still breaking in so i haven't really given it to her yet) hopefully it lasts another 30 years!

Also because this engine makes more power i think i'm going to change the gearing a little. With the 200 I was running 13-40 (3.08) on 20 inch tires. But this engine blasts through that pretty quick. I tried to run the 14 (2.86) that came on the motor but the chain didn't have enough adjustment for that. Plus I already bent the chain roller just going from the 12 to 13. I think i'll try 12-35. That'll keep the chain low, give me 2.92 and I should have more adjustment.

--
    Looks great. Quick work on your end!
    Edit: I also like how you incorporated a tab on your battery box to attach the solenoid to. Good job there!
    Trikes owned:
    83 Honda 200x "Liquid X"

--
    Ok, I just realized I was actually running a 12t front. So the ratio was actually 3.33. But i'm still gonnna try the 35 in the rear

--
    Quote Originally Posted by x-rider View Post
    Looks like you had to modify the same things as me. I went with an ims shifter. Rear brakes still need finishing. I made new top mount brackets for mine. Also had to grind a little tab off the bottom of my motor, and drilled a hole in the skid plate to access oil drain plug. Wiring wasn’t too bad. Have you tried the estart? Man I wish I had a kicker!! I’m thinking about going to the xr200 intake boot. My brother and nephew have 95 and 01 xr200’s and the boots look like a close match for me. They also look like better quality than the China junk. What year xr200 boot are you using?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-...gAAOSwKk5eelWK

I just saw this and it looks like the same angle as mine. For 10 bucks you can't beat it!

--
    Thanks for the link. I’ll check it out.
    Trikes owned:
    83 Honda 200x "Liquid X"

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //