//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Need 1985 250r help in lake elsinore

--

Need 1985 250r help in lake elsinore

I have a 1985 ATC250R and it has no spark. I have the owners manual and checked everything in the manual with an ohm meter except the cdi and the stator, and everything tests good with the exception of the primary side of the coil, which is .11 ohms, and the spec is .16 -.2. There are no dirty grounds and all the wire terminals are clean. I unplugged the 2 wires going to the coil and one of them has a small of voltage going to it when I kick it over, but since there is no spec in the manual for this, I don't know if the amount of voltage it is generating is within spec, plus my meter does not read peak voltages, so the reading I am getting is likely lower than the actual voltage. Since I can't test the cdi, I ordered a used one off Ebay which supposedly came off a running bike, and I tried it and it still has no spark, so it is possible that both my cdi, and the one I bought are bad.

Since I don't have a way to test the cdi or the stator, or know for certain that the other parts in the system are good, I was thinking of trying to find someone in my area that has a running 85/86 250r that might be interested in swapping some of their parts onto mine one at a time to try and find out exactly what part might be bad on mine instead of just buying used parts off Ebay that may also be bad, and I am happy to pay a very fair rate for someone to do this. I can bring my bike to their place. Thanks for any suggestions

--
    You can test the stator w/ an ohm meter. I don't have the specs in front of me, but service manuals are available for download online. Also, make sure to test your plug, sometimes they do go bad. The kill switch is another area to test to make sure it is functioning properly. Another thing to note, it takes a good hard swing of the kickstarter to produce a nice visible spark. Just barely swinging over by hand will likely not show any spark when holding the plug up against the motor. I went through a couple of CDI's before I figured this out, ulitmately all CDI's were in working order that I had.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by newby200x View Post
    You can test the stator w/ an ohm meter. I don't have the specs in front of me, but service manuals are available for download online. Also, make sure to test your plug, sometimes they do go bad. The kill switch is another area to test to make sure it is functioning properly. Another thing to note, it takes a good hard swing of the kickstarter to produce a nice visible spark. Just barely swinging over by hand will likely not show any spark when holding the plug up against the motor. I went through a couple of CDI's before I figured this out, ulitmately all CDI's were in working order that I had.
    Thanks for the reply. The spark plug is good and I also had someone kick it hard when I had my fingers connected to the inside of the spark plug cap and the engine, and didn't get electrocuted, lol. I also tested the kill switch and it works fine, plus I tried it with it bypassed by unplugging it, and it still had no spark. I have the service manual, but must have missed the section on how to test the stator with it not running. There is a test for the stator with the bike running, but of course that test doesn't help me at the moment.

--
    If you have the Honda service manual, look at pages 15-3 and 15-5. It shows how to test the exciter coil on your stator and the pulse generator. Section 6 illustrates these parts behind the flywheel. Did you ohm the spark plug cap?

--
    If you have the Honda service manual, look at pages 15-3 and 15-5. It shows how to test the exciter coil on your stator and the pulse generator. Section 6 illustrates these parts behind the flywheel. Did you ohm the spark plug cap?
    Thanks but I already tested those and they tested good, but that does not tell me if the stator windings are good or not. As I mentioned, I tested everything in the system except the cdi and stator.

--
    Testing the exciter coil is testing the windings on the stator. I can't remember specifically for the 250R, but one or two poles on the stator is wound for producing spark, which is referred to here as the exciter coil. The other poles are wound to produce voltage for lighting. If the pulse generator and exciter coil test good, then your stator is good. Have you checked your flywheel for a sheared key? Or possibly a magnet broke off?

--
    Testing the exciter coil is testing the windings on the stator. I can't remember specifically for the 250R, but one or two poles on the stator is wound for producing spark, which is referred to here as the exciter coil. The other poles are wound to produce voltage for lighting. If the pulse generator and exciter coil test good, then your stator is good. Have you checked your flywheel for a sheared key? Or possibly a magnet broke off?
    Yes, the key and magnets are good.

Thanks for the info on the stator.

This is exactly why I am looking for someone that can just swap parts from their bike. Everything points to the cdi box.

--
    Barn, what are you doing messing with a 250r? I thought you were a Tecate guy?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    Barn, what are you doing messing with a 250r? I thought you were a Tecate guy?
    It's my friends/neighbors bike and this is his user name, so I told him to post the info on here, now MOSH can now feverishly try to find out what computer this is coming from like he did before, cuz he has an abnormal obsession for me.

My neighbor has it over at my place now, and after checking it out I told him I ain't no electrician, and I couldn't find the problem. I also posted the same question on another site which you probably saw. If it was a TECATE...The Worlds Most Powerful 3 Wheeler, it would be easy to fix as all that would need to be done is super glue the magnets back onto the flywheel , cuz that seems to be the only part that fails in that system.

If I or he can get it to make spark, I will most likely buy it off him because it's pretty cheap, and all the plastic is original and pretty clean, so I can get the plastic polished up, and do a B grade cosmetic resto, and from the recent Ebay sale I have seen, I should easily get $3500.00 and possibly $4500.00 for it.

I just saw an NOS headlight housing sell for a whopping $700.00, and mine is cracked but usable, so I'm going to see about have it remade with a 3D printer, and should know something later on today. If they can make them and they are cheap enough, I might get a few made and see if they will sell on Ebay.

Anyway, if MOSH's best buddy bans my friend now, I will just have him sign up again, and again, and again, so that should keep the mods busy.
    Last edited by rpeters; 05-12-2020 at 03:36 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bunghole View Post
    If it`s Barns (you know it) everythings for sale !..........Barns ...barns .........barns of the jungle friends to you and me ........AAAAHHHH watch out for the 15.......fwy.........ya know cop bikes old feck up cruzers da idiots of SoCal. will buy anything ! .....HI BARNS welcome back.........thank Chinks for co-vid .....YEA!........there`s pete.........and den dare`s rpeter `s peckerwood
    Hey, why don't I bring this pos to your place and you can make it spark. I'll give ya some Corona's...or $200.00 bucks...whichever sounds better to ya.
    Last edited by rpeters; 05-12-2020 at 03:38 PM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //