//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ATC70 Pull Start/Recoil needed - with long introductory narrative. :)

--

ATC70 Pull Start/Recoil needed - with long introductory narrative. :)

Greetings!!
    OK, so I am a total trike NOOB but I picked one up several years ago for $40 that didn't run. Saw it in a neighbor's garage and asked about it. He made me take it off his hands by asking $50 for it and taking my $40.

It is a 1985 ATC 70 with a 4 speed(down shifted) trans.

So, after letting it sit for 5 or 6 years due to too many other projects my buddy and I finally got around to seeing if the trike would run. That is when I started noticing things were not complete. No case on the left side for the pull start, and, obviously, no pull starter. I had moved away from that neighbor in the intervening years so no option to go ask for any spare parts.

We started looking online for what we THOUGHT we needed. Found a used case on ebay. Not terrible. Thought I found a compatible pull start rig in the form of a TRX90 part. As I am sure some of you know, THAT AINT GONNA GET IT. I now know this too.

So my buddy thought a Spanglers conversion kit cage spacer would solve that. As I am sure some of you know, THAT ALSO AINT GONNA GET IT. I now know THIS too.

But, in the meantime, while waiting for these various parts to arrive from ebay and elsewhere, we DID get the trike running by virtue of near exhaustion push starting it. We did take some steps to decide it was even worth trying. Compression check by holding a finger over the spark plug hole and turning the rear tires with the trike in 4th gear. We put a new plug in it, changed the oil, shot a little WD-40 in the cylinder and then started pushing it. Low and behold, it fired up. Smoked quite a bit, even aside from the WD-40 we had "lubed" it with. But that went away after several minutes.

We have no idea what the compression should be but given its age, I suspect we are not going to care too much at this point. And given the relative low cost of a rebuild kit, we aren't going to worry about it until we get the big issue of the pull starter sorted. Push starting the pig cold is a huge pain in the watoosi and even when it is warm it sucks to have to work so hard for a quick ride.

We have about $100 in various parts, some usable some not, into the project. But we CAN NOT find a compatible pull starter that isn't $200 or more. Obviously the TRX90 isn't going to work as the bolt holes don't line up in the first place and then the Spanglers adapter doesn't fit inside the pull starter cage so even with some creative fitment, we are stymied.

The $60,000 question is...
    Anybody got, or know where we can get, a working pull starter that isn't $200 or more? Used, new, or otherwise?

Also, we have that TRX90 pull starter that needs a new home, so if anybody wants to trade or needs that, let me know. I am not greedy, nor am I made of money, so fair and reasonable offers/options are always welcome.

Thank you for reading and for any info or suggestions that might come to mind.

Martin

--
    I think for the price you got it for originally, a $200.00 pull start is still keeping you in the black if you decided to sell as is. Have you tried to track down the old neighbor at all? You might get a cheaper one here, but we all know they aren't that available.
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

--
    I would agree with buying one that is complete or if it’s not buy the replacement parts anyway. Does it still have the starter pulley? If so, you can pull start it by wrapping a rope around it for temporary.

--
    Thank you both very much!

We were afraid the reason was availability on the pull start setup. And now chagrined at not having considered the "farm boy" solution of just wrapping a pull rope around the still present starter pulley/cap.

As it happens, I did go back to that neighbor's place, but he had also moved and the current resident was a renter so total dead end.

The idea of dropping another $300 into it(200 for pull start setup and another ~100 for an engine rebuild kit) isn't terrible but being so unfamiliar with the parts, sellers, and experience, we are somewhat unsure of good choices.

Several of our camping crowd buddies have mini-bikes of various vintages(tote-goats and such) and we thought the little ATC70 would offer some uniqueness. Given that a mini-bike that runs sells for around 400-500 bucks, we are still in the ball park of reasonable costs. Might just have to bite the bullet and get the pull start setup. But still not sure which one from whom type of stuff.

Ebay is fraught with unscrupulous sellers... most of the pull starter setups reference chinese engines vs original Honda engines... Just a lot to learn and figure out and we have already figured we don't know enough to make good choices yet.

We will keep looking around and try to learn.

As mentioned before, ANY suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks again!!

Martin

--
    Show us pics. Everyone seems to love the 70’s. You can hardly find them around here. Sorry no help with a pull starter.
    Trikes owned:
    83 Honda 200x "Liquid X"
    81 DG 250r : Sold

--
    Shoot. Major posting fail!!

The rig is up at my buddy's place. He is shooting some pics and I will get them uploaded ASAP.

It is in pretty rough shape with no decals and cruddy plastics. But the peg guards are there and there is a rear chrome rack that may or may not be stock.

Stand by!!

--
    Ok.

Pics!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imagejpeg_0.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	262988

Name:	imagejpeg_1.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	166.7 KB 
ID:	262989

Name:	imagejpeg_2.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	218.8 KB 
ID:	262990

Name:	imagejpeg_3.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	215.9 KB 
ID:	262991

--
    More Pictures...

Here are the parts we have acquired

Flywheel Case

Name:	IMG_2165.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	629.8 KB 
ID:	262992

Pull Starter for a TRX90 - NOT compatible with an ATC70

Name:	IMG_2166.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	586.3 KB 
ID:	262993

Adapter plate we thought would get that TRX90 Pull Starter to work - NOT x2

Name:	IMG_2167.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	628.4 KB 
ID:	262994

So I will be calling a few shops around the country tomorrow in the hopes of finding somebody who might have pity on a fella and offer some guidance. The result will be the purchase of SOMETHING that will hopefully let me use one or the other of those two "NOT" parts in some fashion.

I have seen lots of parts for converting to a chinese motor or updating chinese motors, but just haven't figured out the correct HONDA or OEM equivalent Aftermarket parts to get a closed case with working pull start finished off.

Haven't even gotten to the carb issues yet...

The adventure continues.

THANKS EVERYBODY!!

Martin

--
    You should be able to start by wrapping a rope around the pulley. Clean the carb well first of course. Let us know how it works out for you.
    Trikes owned:
    83 Honda 200x "Liquid X"
    81 DG 250r : Sold

--
    The pull cord wrap and pull method had NOT occurred to us so thats a sure fire alternative... mostly.

The engine will only run with the choke fully closed/on. We pulled the carb, took it apart, cleaned it and made sure it was in good apparent working order. No major obvious broken bits/pieces. After remounting it, it was some better in the responsiveness area but still needed full choke to run. Might be a few more adjustments/tinkering to try, but a new carb is only $25 or so.

I have ridden it. It goes great in first gear, decent in second, you have to back way off the carb after shifting into third so it can catch up but then you can wind it up pretty good. Fourth? Yeah, down hill, with a tail wind, maybe.

But sheesh, its a trike. At anything over 10 or 12mph the things are just down right scary to try and turn. The brakes work better than most of our buddies' mini-bikes so I am happy with that.

I am going to order a carb at the same time I buy the parts for the pull starter situation. Should have it running good this weekend. Should.

Fingers, and other appendages, crossed.

Martin

--
    It appears there is some difference between 85 Atc 70 left case cover. You can look it up on partzilla. Not sure what, but part numbers are different. Your cover looks different than my 85.
    I don’t see a pulley in your pic, just the flywheel? Anyway, I found a case, pulley and recoil starter for under $300. Instead of posting it, it’s being shipped and will be yours if you want it, pm me your number.

--
    Jd110, thanks for the reply and info.

I am not even sure of the year, but it is based on the 4spd down transmission. And the case cover was bought early in the experience relative to information known and might be just like the recoil starter we have, NOT the right one.

And while I know the difference between a pulley and flywheel, I am not sure about as it applies to these little motor/trans cases.

However, I am at a point where I am pretty sure one or more of the items I have will work if I can get an adapter to mate them all together. You have given me grave concern about the case... but I am waiting for a fitting but that is a few days away. The trike is at my buddy's and that's a farm area between SEA and PDX.

I am still looking for the best method to ID the trike. Anybody know of a serial number cross ref that works? I found a few but none pull any decent results(null or other obvious garbage out).

Thanks!!

Hopefully somebody else is interested in that package. I would be but am almost there in alternate parts. The catch is if I spend more than my mini-bike buddies, Im gonna take some grief... Can't have that. If possible.

--
    Your left side cover looks like it’s for a trx70
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Couple of things PDX, that machine is in about how most are found these days, and it's well worth putting some coin in it. It's not hard to sell these for 1K in good running order.
    1. On the "Home" page here there is a VIN decoding link that should tell you what year your machine is. The VIN is on the steering head.
    2. I'm not too sure how much faith you want to put in a knockoff carb? I've heard more bad than good; and you'll have to clean it when you get it too. Make sure the stock air filter is in there too, that seems to make a difference in how it runs.
    3. Have you cleaned and checked the points? That will affect performance too.
    4. Check your valve adjustment and get a real number for compression. That motor should pull easily on flat ground in 4th even if you're a bigger person.
    5. Your frame is slightly bent, that's why you see burn marks in the front fender. Super easy to fix too. Here's a link to a thread to fix it. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ghlight=atc+70
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

--
    Quote Originally Posted by PDX-Martin View Post
    Jd110, thanks for the reply and info.

I am not even sure of the year, but it is based on the 4spd down transmission. And the case cover was bought early in the experience relative to information known and might be just like the recoil starter we have, NOT the right one.

And while I know the difference between a pulley and flywheel, I am not sure about as it applies to these little motor/trans cases.

However, I am at a point where I am pretty sure one or more of the items I have will work if I can get an adapter to mate them all together. You have given me grave concern about the case... but I am waiting for a fitting but that is a few days away. The trike is at my buddy's and that's a farm area between SEA and PDX.

I am still looking for the best method to ID the trike. Anybody know of a serial number cross ref that works? I found a few but none pull any decent results(null or other obvious garbage out).

Thanks!!

Hopefully somebody else is interested in that package. I would be but am almost there in alternate parts. The catch is if I spend more than my mini-bike buddies, Im gonna take some grief... Can't have that. If possible.
    My ‘85 has the recoil with a n-1-2-3 up sticker-clearly not the ‘correct’ one. Not that it matters-The description on the one be shipped came off an 85’-So, I’ll keep that and have a spare. If you end up needing the case and pulley, hit me up.
    Edit: ends up I’ve got the correct recoil. The 4 is washed away. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4C7A3D0F-80F7-44CD-95C3-91493E7B95ED.jpeg 
Views:	51 
Size:	182.7 KB 
ID:	263021
    Last edited by Jd110; 06-01-2020 at 11:11 AM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //