//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ATC70 Pull Start/Recoil needed - with long introductory narrative. :)

stoshu is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by shortline10 View Post
    Your left side cover looks like it’s for a trx70
    Definitely not Atc 70. Looks like an extra hole at the top

--
    Sorry guys, it took a couple of days to get the VIN for various reasons...

JH3TB030XEKk912992

So from the VIN decoder it is an '84 ATC 70. It definitely has a 4spd down shifted transmission.

We are going to go through the points and valve lash and a few other things this weekend. Hopefully this case cover I have will work, but if not, I just might bite the bullet and jump on JD110's offer. The case was listed as for a "78-85 Honda ATC 70..." so thats eBay for ya... fingers are still crossed.

My buddy and I are both "bigger persons" although I am older and a bit crispier so being able to get some decent "pull" in 4th gear is desirable especially if we are traversing some of the powerline trails we like to run the quads on. And our other rally vehicles for that matter.

If anybody wants to point me to the best info for points/valve setup I would greatly appreciate it. I used to run air cooled VW's in the early 80s so I know about that stuff somewhat, but as I have said previously, translating automotive knowledge to these trikes isn't necessarily a simple proposition. It is fun, but mistakes and backtracks are seemingly constant. So any "gotcha's" that somebody might guide me away from would also be helpful.

The air cleaner is still in the tube and screwed down with its chrome caps. I will stay away from cheap knock-off carbs. The carb on the trike looks good, like I mentioned, but I don't know these little slide-bores like I do big bore holleys. Different critters. But damn they are super simple...

So, one more question... There is a white "molex" connector just above the carb under the gas tank. Two terminals in there of the 1/4" quick connect type. Is this, by chance, a 12v connector for maybe a headlamp or other minimal 12v devices? We would love to hang a small 4-6" LED headlight on this thing if it gets to be a reliable runner.

Whats the best thing for these older patina'd trikes? Leave them as is and appreciate the survivor aspect? Or try to refresh them or renew them? I suppose it is a rather personal decision but I would hate to make a mistake and ruin "cool-factor" points.

Thanks again everybody!!! We very much appreciate all the input and insight!!

Martin

--
    The white plug was designed for the optional hondaline 6 volt headlight . Same light used on the atc90 and 110 up to 1980 .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    No sweat, we all make mistakes. Got the parts yesterday from NC. 2-days delivery without an issue from bluecollarbagger. Even threw in a sticker. Cost was 238.50, not looking to make anything off it. I don’t mind keeping them, just wanted to show how easy it can be. I realize prices have gotten steep. But, I figure, if you wanna play, gotta pay.
    Good luck with your trike.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C9C4A78D-259F-4587-8813-7C2A12364D6D.jpeg 
Views:	62 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	263077

--
    Patina is a personal thing as you suggested. I would at least get a set of good used fenders for the rear; or if you can't, bite the bullet and get a complete set of Maier plastics to keep the mud from flicking up into your beer. I've had good luck with hondaatc70.com for parts even with shipping to Canada. But as I suggested in a previous post, take an hour and straighten the frame before you stick a new front fender on. I bet you could sell the old fender too! I would do something with that fugly rear rack too, at least make it functional or find a used grab bar. You were basically given this thing, dropping 4-500 hundred into it is a good investment as it'll be worth double that easily.
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

--
    JD110, that cover looks just like the one I have... even though a couple of posters have indicated the one I have is NOT for an ATC 70... So, that pic of your box of goodies gives me some hope that I have a functional cover but until I can attempt a mount(this weekend) I am still unsure. Thanks for understanding the noob factor on my end and I will keep looking/reading/learning.

Coolpool, basically I think I stole the thing from the previous owner. Not literally, he wanted rid of it, but given its potential, I am in way cheap. That frame straightening effort is on for this weekend along with the points and valves. The rear rack is missing some nuts and bolts and we are planning on getting it sorted out and use it as a cooler holder. Must have replacement beers on trail rides. Even if they get a little abused bouncing around before consumption can save them. And I stumbled on hondaatc70.com yesterday as a matter of fact. I think they are the same crowd as "Spanglers" in one form or another but maybe this is already known. Either way, I am giving them a call about getting one of their adapters that is part of a kit they sell. I have most of the other parts from single purchases elsewhere(eBay) and am hoping they will sell just this adapter plate which, if I am having any luck, finish off the pull start setup.

So, if that white plug is a 6v connection, I should be able to hook up a 6v light of somekind as long as it isn't a huge power suck right? No 500w Halogens or anything like that. Maybe a nice little 6v LED rig of some kind. I can probably make one from some bits and pieces I have around my electronics bench...

Thanks again everybody!! I very much appreciate all the help and suggestions!!!

Martin

--
    Look closer at JD’s cover , it’s definitely different and it was designed for a CDI motor .
    Your cover is off a trx70 like I’ve already posted . Totally different recoil set up .

Yes 6v and around 20-25 watts for the bulb
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Quote Originally Posted by shortline10 View Post
    Look closer at JD’s cover , it’s definitely different and it was designed for a CDI motor .
    Your cover is off a trx70 like I’ve already posted . Totally different recoil set up .

Yes 6v and around 20-25 watts for the bulb
    WOW!! I was not even looking at the recoil mount orientation or the various "bumps" on the one I have compared to whats "in the box" at JD110's. Now I am egg on face again.

Thanks for the call out shortline10!! Much appreciated.

The comedy of errors continues...

--
    As these little 70's are latest craze with our Glamis group, here's a couple pic's of my '84 left side cover just returned from polisher. Looks just like JD's. The white plug could have three wires, for the bike to run they do not need connected to anything. Lt Green with Red Strip is neutral switch, Dark Green is ground and Black isn't connected to anything. Sad news is Honda didn't wire the '83 - '85s for lights, there should be a yellow wire in that plug. The light coil winding is there on the stator plate you need to solder a wire to it to be able to have 6volt light.

Name:	DSC02353.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	263082 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02357.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	263083

"HJ" Name:  oldfogey.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  1.2 KB
    ’84 YT60
    ’85 350x (423cc) with ’81 XL500 head conversion
    ’83 XR500 (628cc) converted 3 Wheel hybrid
    ’73 CB750 K3 converted 3 Wheel hybrid
    ’86 TRX250R chassis XR650L engine hybrid
    ’89 TRX250R (stock )
    ’90 LT500 Quadzilla
    ’85 FL350 Odysses ( water cooled head )
    Lost (sold) but not forgotten ’80 ATC 110 (205cc on alcohol ) ’83 200x ( 222cc ) ’83 200x ( 185s eng ) ’85 350x ( stock )
    added to the collection recently, (2) '70 US90 Aquarius Blue and '74 ATC90 Daytona Orange

--
    HOLY COW IT RUNS GREAT!!

So, after pulling the plug and TRIPLE checking the gap and opening it from less than .02 to a proper .028, and checking the points and getting them adjusted, AND the valves, the thing runs like a champ. The exhaust was a little plugged so we took that apart and cleaned it as best we could. And some more tinkering with the carb and fuel lines/filters.

That left side case fits just fine actually. It has those noticeable "bumps" on it that allow for clearance on TRX's I assume, but they don't get in the way of anything at all. That case cover went on fine. And we have a solution for the pull start on the cheap!! Even figured out how to adjust the chain a little tighter(but its pretty worn so a new chain is in order).

Here is our idea for the pull start solution...
    An inexpensive drill gun(like a harbor freight 18v) in a leather awl-stitched side holster, a modified cheap ass recoil "cover" with a 3/4" hole drilled in its center to allow a 14mm socket to pass through and engage the flywheel bolt(that has been blue locktighted). When you need to start it, just skin the drill gun, give it a quick trigger on the flywheel bolt, and you are up and running. We haven't gotten the "holster" stitched up yet, but we are getting some fresh tanned hide tomorrow. Going to take that recoil pull start I bought and gut it, poke that 3/4" hole in its center, and ream out the mounting holes a little so it will bolt to the existing case holes and call it a party. It might even get a rubber grommet to seal that hole when not in use as a starter opening.

Name:	IMG_2179.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	704.9 KB 
ID:	263101

The other item is a 6led headlight setup running off that molex connector. Not going to blind any body but... it should work.

Name:	IMG_2180.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	668.7 KB 
ID:	263102

I also wanted to give a shout out to HONDAATC70.COM for their help sorting out some options on jug/head upgrades and other performance options.

Next in line are a new shifter(the one in the picture is clearly NOT going to work long term...), a tune up kit(needs a new set of points really bad...), and that should get me to a running reliable point. Admittedly a little farm-boy in some of the fixes but functional for the trails we ride...

Thanks again everybody!!!

Once we get all the details finalized, I will upload some better pictures.

P.S. We decided to junk that chrome POS seat rack and are going to just deal with the shitty plastics for now. Maybe later we will pickup a set of used or otherwise inexpensive pieces. Don't really plan on riding is gross conditions enough to worry about mud slinging into my beers. But we might weld up a steering "basket" of some kind for the holding of beers.

--
    That's great news overall! I cringe at your pull start solution to be honest. I have a feeling your nut will back off eventually (even with loctite) and wreck something. IMHO, forget about performance upgrades, plus you've already ditched new plastics, and spend the money on a proper pull start.
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

--
    Quote Originally Posted by coolpool View Post
    That's great news overall! I cringe at your pull start solution to be honest. I have a feeling your nut will back off eventually (even with loctite) and wreck something. IMHO, forget about performance upgrades, plus you've already ditched new plastics, and spend the money on a proper pull start.
    Yeah... the more we thought about it the more the drill gun solution sounded sub-optimal with major downside possibilities. For the near term, we will go with the uber-agricultural solution. But since I will be destroying the pull start I bought for the drill gun solution, purchasing the kit from HONDAATC70 will be the proper and long term solve. And we will get the silver cover with Honda sticker just for fun.

Anybody reading this that wants the 6 pronged grabber conversion kit can have it for shipping costs. My way of giving back to the board. Let me know.

Martin

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //