//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 85 atc 200x not starting.

--

85 atc 200x not starting.

Hello, my 1985 atc 200x is not wanting to start even with starting fluid. I have good compression, cam and spark advancer are in time, valves are set correctly, the carburetor is set correctly I think. I do have weak spark but I don't know what Is causing it though I checked all the values on all the electrical stuff all came back in spec execpt for the ignition coil. Does anyone sell oem replacement ignition coils? Some of the ones sold on amazon are HIGH performance and you cant use certain high-performance stuff on these engines because it already has a manual spark advancer and you would doubling your advance with any high-performance ignition parts. The spark is very little like just barely making the jump across the gap bad. I'm pretty sure this is why it is not wanting to run even with starting fluid. do your magic three wheeler world and figure out what's going on.

--
    I'm no expert, not even a mechanic
    change the plug get a new one, NGK brand, set the gap. try again.
    You said you used starter fluid, it should have lit off.
    triple check your timing, have you messed with it since it last ran?
    It could be 180 out of phase.
    Have you set the valves? if so how did you do it? You may have not been at TDC when you set them
    Whats the compression reading? in psi?
    Needs to be 100psi or more better to be around 150/175psi.
    If the new plug looks weak also, get a CDI box from Beatrice ATV or DRATV should run about 25$
    then try again.

You said you have compression, fuel and spark, you should have bang. I am guessing its 180 out or the valves where set at the wrong time.
    MrC.

--
    The compression is at 180, I’ll go and re set the valves later today and check the timing. I got it to run for like 30 seconds yesterday and then it just shut off and hasn’t ran since all I done was squirted some starting fluid in the carb throat and it started and ran on it’s own fuel revved it up and everything then when it shut off not like a slow die just running then stop. I sprayed some more starting fluid in the throat and it didn’t want to start again. Also it was running for like 3 days but would never get out of 3 gear because it was spitting and wanting to die on me. This was like 3 months ago after I rebuilt the engine. My dad originally bought it new. He is dead now sadly. I don’t know the complete story on how it stopped running but it was running for like 25 years l don’t know what caused it to stop running though. We took it to a place and apparently the cam was 180 out of time and that’s why it wasn’t running. Sadly the person who fixed it didn’t put lock tight on the cam gear bolts and well they vibrated out and almost destroyed the engine. We tore it apart and fixed it ran for like 2 more weeks then stopped again. I rebuilt the engine and like I said ran for like 3 days and then stopped. Then 3 months later I tried to start it again ran for 30 seconds then stopped and didn’t want to start again. I think it died because lack of compression but It is probably out of time now.

--
    If it ran on starter fluid, then quit. The idle jet is clogged.
    Clean your plug while your at it. It's probably soaked.
    Mrc

--
    Ok will do.

--
    Put a fresh plug in, timing is 100% correct, valves are set correctly, idle jet wasn’t clogged. Just checking im pretty sure the cam lobes are supposed to be down and the circle on the cam sprocket lined up with the notch on the head correct? The spark is very weak like it’s like a hair thin jumping the gap thin could that be it that’s what I’m thinking it is.

--
    I'm not sure if the lobes are up or down, but Both valves should be closed at tdc. back the adjusters off and verify they are closed
    Does the kicker kick back on you when you try to start it? backfire? if so timing is off.
    Order a CDI then, you have checked all the normal things.

Tell us about the last time it ran, meaning, it ran great, then i parked for a 6 months now it wont run, or i just rebuilt this thing and it won't run, or I was running WOT beating this tri-z by a mile and it started smoking and locked up, now it wont run. that might give an idea of whats wrong with it.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
    MrC.

--
    Both valves are closed At tdc it don’t kick back sometimes the kick starter will slip and destroy my foot and very rarely it will backfire. The last time it ran correctly it was running good but it couldn’t get out of 3 gear it would just spit and never rev out correctly this is after the rebuild, then I parked it because I was done riding, then I go to ride it the next day and doesn’t want to start at all so I just stopped messing with it and researched about what is going on with it and it got put on a list of things to do plus I got tired of trying everything and making no progress lol. Like it would be going great you could get on it 1,2,3 then about half throttle in third gear is when it would just start spitting and wanting to die on me. I’ll order a cdi too. Hope this information helps I’m getting tired of not being able to ride it.

--
    I understand kickstart only can be troublesome, not like you can just push a button.
    It could be CDI related, check the ground from the cdi to the frame while you are there.
    let me know when you get the cdi installed
    MrC.
    P.s. post a pic of that bike.

--
    Ok will let you know.

--
    Oh also I forgot to say. I took the 200x cdi unit and tested it on a 200s and it worked great had strong spark and it ran too so could it still be bad or could it be something else I don’t care to order it it’s just out of stock right now on Beatrice atv.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Atc 200x 1985 View Post
    Put a fresh plug in, timing is 100% correct, valves are set correctly, idle jet wasn’t clogged. Just checking im pretty sure the cam lobes are supposed to be down and the circle on the cam sprocket lined up with the notch on the head correct? The spark is very weak like it’s like a hair thin jumping the gap thin could that be it that’s what I’m thinking it is.
    Lobes face down when setting the cam timing. If your spark is weak, you may try to use a different stator or CDI. You could try unscrewing your plug cap, clipping 1/4” off of the plug wire and screw your cap back on. That may help.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    That's what I thought lobes down. the CDI worked on another 200 it had strong spark could It still be bad though? I tried the sparkplug wire trick and no change. I did replace the coil on it back in 2019 I am still using it on it now. the stator has never been replaced so could it be bad?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Atc 200x 1985 View Post
    That's what I thought lobes down. the CDI worked on another 200 it had strong spark could It still be bad though? I tried the sparkplug wire trick and no change. I did replace the coil on it back in 2019 I am still using it on it now. the stator has never been replaced so could it be bad?
    Stator is usually the first electrical component to go on a 200x.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Check your airbox. When I was working on my 86 200x the float stuck and the gas ran into the airbox had enough gas to fill a gatoraid bottle.I had it running one day next day it wouldnt start.I checked everything spark,timing,and such.I tipped the trike up on one side and noticed liquid coming out of the airbox lid it was gas.I drained it pulled the filter it was soaking wet with gas.Gave the trike a couple kicks and it started.
    250r rules

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //