//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Yt125

--

Yt125

Hello, I just picked up a YT125 not sure what year yet will post when I figure it out. Here's the story below.
    Picked up YT125 and a YT175 from craigs, have not touched the 175 yet.
    Just started working on the 125, well I have to back track a little.
    When I got them home, the recoil on the 125 would stick about half way took that off and got it working the prowl spring was broke so I pulled a good one off the 175, installed the recoil and checked to see if the 125 would turn, Yep turned pretty good, opened the gas tank and the gas smelled good so I tried to start her, no luck, check spark, no spark. I could tell it had been in water and then the last owner must have let it sit....there was a brand spark pulg in it so I knew they were trying to get er going. When I took the recoil off I could see corrosion from the water, I don't have a flywheel puller for it so I bought some WD electric contact cleaner tipped the Tri-Moto on its side and sprayed the heck out of it and let it soak over night. The next day I tipped the TRI upright and let the WD drain, then blew it out with my compressor and then sprayed it one more time and let it dry over night.
    The next day I checked for spark, and Yahoo, strong spark. now I checked for compression and she is right at 100lbs.
    So, next I cleaned the carb, changed the gear oil, well there was no gear oil, so I filled it drained it and filled it again.
    Next I filled the oil tank, cleaned the pet cock and tried to start it no luck nothing at all. the next day I tried push starting it and after about a minute and full throttle she fired and died. Tried again and started right up but only with full throttle and I could keep her running and she would almost idle, in neutral, when I popped in first, I would have to punch it to get the rev up, she would crawl real slow then start to clear out and run pretty good till I slowed down then it would just bog down. I did put mixed gas in it and I had oil in the tank so I figured maybe she was getting to much oil. Today, I drained the gas tank, added fresh gas, added some more oil to the oil tank and blead the injection system. drained the carb and cleaned it again set the jet to 1 and 1/4 out and tried to pull start, got nothing at all, even tried starting fluid, still nothing, New plug, still nothing. set up a drill so I could crank er over that way. after a few try's she popped but again only if I had it at full throttle, I ran it a little but it looks like the injection system is not working, the oil gets about half way to the carb then stops. I think the float height has to be adjusted, and I messed around with the injection a bit with no luck. What do I do next? thank s, sorry if I made this to long. I will have some more pictures up soon., Think I have one on my profile. I'm new to forums, might take me a bit to see how its done.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yt125.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	2.58 MB 
ID:	263107
    Last edited by Tri-MotoYA; 06-07-2020 at 02:02 AM. Reason: add photo

--
    here is a pic of the YT125, I will get some better pic's tomorrow, rear fender is in good condition (not pictured will add it tomorrow)
    The injection pump looks good and it turs great with the throttle but as you can see the oil only get's half way to the carb then stops.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ytt125.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	263108Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hose.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	263111Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pump.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	263109
    Last edited by Tri-MotoYA; 06-07-2020 at 02:22 AM. Reason: add Pictures

--
    What about the oil tank vent? Has to let air in to let oil out.

Nice trike. Yamaha's choosing to use a side bleed pipe (muffler) was cool.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    I will check out that vent thanks for the heads up.

--
    Found the problem, I cleaned the carb like 4 times, the last time I saw some, what looked like,. felt, on top of the carb slide....thought how the heck did that get in there.
    Then I thought I better check the carb to cylinder boot for crack or whatever, after I got in off I looked in at the reed cage and there was mouse nest in there, how did he get past the slide? LOL Cleaned it all out slapped it back together started 3 pull, after that now it starts first or second pull and runs great.

Now, I have a new problem. The gear case oil disappears after a few minutes riding. My first thought was leaking gasket, but now I thinking crank seals. any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Also if any agrees that its probably crank seals how tough a job is that and do I have to replace both or just one.
    Thanks

--
    Crank seals are about the only way that the gear case oil can disappear unless you can see it leaking someplace. I believe that you have to completely disassemble the engine to replace them. You'd better replace both of them at the same time.

--
    the reason why the oil isn't getting to carby is that the oil lines & pump hasn't been primed & bled, easy to do- there are online manuals explaining this procedure. Sounds like your crank seals need replacing, the motor doesn't need to come out, you need to take clutch side off, (gasket replacement needed) & remove starter assembly on other side to expose both crank seals. I'm about to do mine as well.

82 Honda ATC 185s SOLD
    82 Honda ATC 185s restoration project (Restored & SOLD)
    81 Yamaha Tri-Moto YT125h (SOLD )
    82 Yamaha Tri-Moto YT175J
    83 Yamaha Tri-Moto YT175k
    83 Yamaha Tri-Moto YT175k (SOLD )
    85 Yamaha Tri-Z YTZ250N

--
    Thank you, Zoila, that's what I wanted to here.

--
    Well that's good news.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //