//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ford Ecoboost?

Arky-X is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Test drove a 2018 Ford F-150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost yesterday. Gotta say, those things have some low end torque for sure. Is it "quicker" than my 5.3? Wouldn't say it would be a huge difference but I would definitely have the RPMs up on my to get it to move like that.

Dealer had a fair price but good gosh the trade-in values they offer are for crap. I understand that I have a 2007 Chevy crew cab but it only has 57k miles......give me something. Honestly, my 13 year old truck was cleaner than this 2 year old with 25k miles. It did have add-ons (bed cover, Fox shocks, K&N intake, pipe, upfitter switches) but the Chevy dealership didn't know any of that.....I guess it ain't their brand.

If I move on one, it appears I will have to sell mine on my own. They show you every price (trade-in value) in the book to hit you low. You start to point out that they are looking at the LT and not the 2LT......towing package.....dual power seats.......very good condition vs fair. All that starts adding $3-5k on the value but it was apparent we are miles apart. Oh well, there are thousands of trucks out there, no need to rush.

--
    I sold Fords for 4 years. We had a lot of the 3.5's come in on trade with a good amount of miles. (150k plus). Overall they are good trucks. And that's coming from a guy that was die hard Chevy years ago. I almost didn't take the job at Ford because I hated Fords so much lol. But money was money. Then overtime I realized that Ford actually makes a pretty damn good product. I've had 4 Ford Diesels to date, on a 16 6.7 right now. I tried to go back to a gas at one point. Bought a 6.0 Quadrasteer Chevy truck, but it was awful trying to tow with a gas again once I've had diesel.

Anyways, good luck.
    My feedback: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-ATC-Eric

Survivor! TF: 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13 Sandpuppies: 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 16, 17, 18 Imperial Invasion 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20

Everything Big Bore on FaceBook

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC-Eric View Post
    I sold Fords for 4 years. We had a lot of the 3.5's come in on trade with a good amount of miles. (150k plus). Overall they are good trucks. And that's coming from a guy that was die hard Chevy years ago. I almost didn't take the job at Ford because I hated Fords so much lol. But money was money. Then overtime I realized that Ford actually makes a pretty damn good product. I've had 4 Ford Diesels to date, on a 16 6.7 right now. I tried to go back to a gas at one point. Bought a 6.0 Quadrasteer Chevy truck, but it was awful trying to tow with a gas again once I've had diesel.

Anyways, good luck.
    I've considered the Chevy/GMC with a 3.0 Duramax as well but hate buying the first few years of a new release. I hear those are impressive as well......won't be like your 6.7 but good enough for light towing.

--
    I'm a Chevy/GMC truck guy, and have no interest in owning a Ford or RAM. My wife likes her Ford's, and that's "okay" as her previous F250 (5.4 2v) and her current truck(6.8 v10) have both been great driving, and reliable, trucks. I'm also an ASE master tech, and work on all makes and models, and they all have they're issues. Some are small issues, others large. Where one brand truck shines over another, the other shines brighter in other areas over the first truck. It's really become a "choose your poison" decision when buying a truck, and many of the issues I see with all makes is lack of maintenance. Folks going way too long between oil changes, regardless of the brand oil & filter. VVT technology doesn't like dirty oil, nor does active cylinder management, otherwise known as DOD. The same is true with transmission services, which is often overlooked and a major leader in transmission failure, and that fluid needs to be changed more frequently if you do excessive/heavy towing.

Choose the truck that you are comfortable in.
    Choose a truck you can see out of best.
    Choose a truck that has the options you need/want.
    Choose a truck that will do what you need it to, and then some. Buying more truck is very seldom a bad thing. That doesn't mean crew cab duelly, when an extended cab SRW is the physical size you need; it just means "get the 2500, not the 1500", or if doing really heavy use "get the 3500, not the 2500".

Most importantly, maintain it like you life depends on it, and be sure to take care of any issues/repairs as immediately as possible. Don't let one worn part snowball into many. This is all common sense stuff, but millions of people are guilty of it.

That's my $.02

--
    For the record, we have Eco Boosts in all our work trucks but we dispose of them well before 100K miles so I can't speak on longevity; and we don't work them hard except for excessive idling which our field trucks do a lot in the winter. What I do know is that we've had to repair a few "Variable Timing Chain(?)" issues and it's a 9.5 hour shop charge if we do it over the 60K mark, otherwise it's a recall item and done for free. They do seem to start well in the winter even when they're not plugged in below -25F. What we don't like about any of the aluminum bodied Ford's is that they skitter all over the road on washboard gravel. If you travel on gravel a lot, I suggest you test drive it on those surfaces before you buy it. Especially if you have inexperienced drivers in your family; it can get western pretty quick under the right conditions.
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

--
    Cool pool, I've done a few Ecoboost timing chain replacements. They're not bad to do, but is something an owner has to be aware of. Ecoboost engines are not the only ones that have chain issues, however.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 6speedthumper View Post
    I'm a Chevy/GMC truck guy, and have no interest in owning a Ford or RAM. My wife likes her Ford's, and that's "okay" as her previous F250 (5.4 2v) and her current truck(6.8 v10) have both been great driving, and reliable, trucks. I'm also an ASE master tech, and work on all makes and models, and they all have they're issues. Some are small issues, others large. Where one brand truck shines over another, the other shines brighter in other areas over the first truck. It's really become a "choose your poison" decision when buying a truck, and many of the issues I see with all makes is lack of maintenance. Folks going way too long between oil changes, regardless of the brand oil & filter. VVT technology doesn't like dirty oil, nor does active cylinder management, otherwise known as DOD. The same is true with transmission services, which is often overlooked and a major leader in transmission failure, and that fluid needs to be changed more frequently if you do excessive/heavy towing.

Choose the truck that you are comfortable in.
    Choose a truck you can see out of best.
    Choose a truck that has the options you need/want.
    Choose a truck that will do what you need it to, and then some. Buying more truck is very seldom a bad thing. That doesn't mean crew cab duelly, when an extended cab SRW is the physical size you need; it just means "get the 2500, not the 1500", or if doing really heavy use "get the 3500, not the 2500".

Most importantly, maintain it like you life depends on it, and be sure to take care of any issues/repairs as immediately as possible. Don't let one worn part snowball into many. This is all common sense stuff, but millions of people are guilty of it.

That's my $.02
    Oil and filter change is definitely something I've heard about on the EcoBoost. Change the oil more frequently than the indicator tells you. Most change it when the indicator gets to 30-50% or at 5k miles (still at ~30%.)

Having said that, I think I've talked myself out of buying anything right now. Found 2 that were "Velocity Blue" (preeeety!) that had what I wanted and with my Ford mailer I received ($2k off), that put me at $13k off MSRP. Not bad in my book........but still gonna have a payment for 5 years.

Gonna keep my Chevy and replace the cracked dash. Other than that, change the tranny fluid/filter and maybe the differential fluid too. Want to get me some Bilsteins for it and maybe a back-up camera. Truck still drives like a dream to me.
    In 3-4 years, I hope to have 2 kids out of college and off the payroll .......off my insurance......house paid off......do what I want then.......

Of course, just when you think you have life all planned out.......life happens

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //