//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ford Ecoboost?

Arky-X is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --

Ford Ecoboost?

I've owned Chevy for years and found a Ford that interests me. I've heard good things out of the Ford V-6 Ecoboost but wanting to hear if anyone here had any experience with them.
    Hard for me to make the switch from the tried and true 5.3 but I like the torque the Ecoboost shows.

Cheers!

--
    anyone ive known with normal ford V8 vs a V6 boost says the boost scoots quicker...just need to realize the turbo will take a crap one day

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    anyone ive known with normal ford V8 vs a V6 boost says the boost scoots quicker...just need to realize the turbo will take a crap one day
    The durability and complexity of the turbo is probably my biggest hesitancy. I probably shouldn't worry about it since I don't put many miles on a truck anyway. I have a daily driver that gets used and abused.

--
    As a rule: asking more work out of less motor equals short life span.
    But that's just me

If you don't tow/haul anything but 3 wheeler's you should be fine, but if you plan to buy a camper/boat/race car/lawn equipment trailer.
    than no, you will not be happy with it.

MrC.
    mrc_builds on YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmw...confirmation=1

My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

mrc_builds saves trikes like Jimmy Swaggart saved souls back in the day -said Patriot1

--
    Quote Originally Posted by MrConcdid View Post
    As a rule: asking more work out of less motor equals short life span.
    But that's just me

If you don't tow/haul anything but 3 wheeler's you should be fine, but if you plan to buy a camper/boat/race car/lawn equipment trailer.
    than no, you will not be happy with it.

MrC.
    I've got a 19' ski boat. Not huge but you know it's behind the Chevy 5.3.....typical LS motor, gotta twist the ears off it to produce hp/trq. The Ecoboost shows the torque at much lower RPM which had me considering for the towing reason. Diesel for me would be overkill.
    Looked at some GMC/Chevy 6.2L but now we are talking $40k-60k. There are several low mileage F150s for around $30k in my area.

--
    I have a 2014 EcoBoost 3.5. It's been tuned since 8k miles and I've had zero issues with it. I just turned 42k the other day.

--
    Put it this way 10% of people prob keep a truck more then 7 years which is what it takes to pay one off unless you buy them outright. I have 04 5.7 hemi...when I bought it 8 years ago yeah it felt powefull...im.sure by todays trucks it's not but I put 30k miles on it in 8 years and now I idle 2 miles to work a day...no truck in my future for years. I tow 3 atvs at max. I still think every truck should make 400hp minimum...but that's just me.

If you keep them relatively stock and mantinace them they last.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Arky-X View Post
    I've owned Chevy for years and found a Ford that interests me. I've heard good things out of the Ford V-6 Ecoboost but wanting to hear if anyone here had any experience with them.
    Hard for me to make the switch from the tried and true 5.3 but I like the torque the Ecoboost shows.

Cheers!
    After driving Eco Ford, or a 6.2L Chevy you'll view your 5.3 as gutless. My 2017 6.2 gets better mileage with a small trailer behind it than my 2013 5.3 did without a tail and it rips in comparison to the smaller 8. I've heard the same thing about the Eco, pulls hard if you put your foot into it.

--
    Do you want to be forced to feed it premium fuel to get the full power? They may even require premium or 91 minimum. That's something to consider with any boosted engine.

I've been to a lot of middle of nowhere stations that only had the low octane stuff. That'd really suck if you were pulling a heavy trailer at high elevations and your small displacement, boosted engine backed the power way back because low octane was the only thing you could get and it way trying to keep from self destructing.

I think the biggest improvement has been the transmissions. Even 18 wheelers couldn't do what they do with a four speed, they need the gears to keep the power on tap.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    you may have to take your ecoboost in for one of those ford recalls . sorry to burst your bubble . It is a ford after all .

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    Do you want to be forced to feed it premium fuel to get the full power? They may even require premium or 91 minimum. That's something to consider with any boosted engine.

I've been to a lot of middle of nowhere stations that only had the low octane stuff. That'd really suck if you were pulling a heavy trailer at high elevations and your small displacement, boosted engine backed the power way back because low octane was the only thing you could get and it way trying to keep from self destructing.

I think the biggest improvement has been the transmissions. Even 18 wheelers couldn't do what they do with a four speed, they need the gears to keep the power on tap.
    Current Chevy is a 2007 but I have it tuned for 91 octane and I definitely like the extra kick it has over stock. So I don't mind running premium since it isn't driven daily. Never thought of the availability of premium at some stations, though. On my current one I could reprogram it if I had that issue.....not so much on an Ecoboost. Do they require premium?

True on the transmissions. Currently have the 4-speed (4l60e) which is basically an electronic driven 700R4. When you're towing, it gets what I call "caught between gears." Shifts down and revs.....shifts and falls on its face.
    My wife had a Chrysler 300 sedan that had an 8-speed and I knew after driving that, the transmissions can make a big difference. There is always a "right gear" for it.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoscorch View Post
    you may have to take your ecoboost in for one of those ford recalls . sorry to burst your bubble . It is a ford after all .
    Ha! Is it;

First
    On
    Race
    Day

or

Found
    On
    Road
    Dead

--
    The EcoBoost's run just fine on 87. There's millions of fleet and police vehicles that have EcoBoost's in them and I can guarantee you they're not using premium fuel.

--
    I have a F250 gas V8 as a shop truck. Its 2wd just 8ft bed. It does not seem to move or turn. Getting in my 10 year older ram seems like I'm in BMW as far as handling. The V8 has a 6.2L motor. my truck only has a 5.7L. Maybe its a ford thing but yes V6 eco boost moves unlike this lead sled of a work truck...but the truck gets 14mpg average also so im like WTF?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    The EcoBoost's run just fine on 87. There's millions of fleet and police vehicles that have EcoBoost's in them and I can guarantee you they're not using premium fuel.
    Good point. Fresh 87 is better than old 92 and if all those fancy sensors and computers can’t figure out how to protect your engine from a batch or two of low octane fuel I don’t know what could.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //