//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Fork Spring Upgrade? 1985 ATC250R

--

Fork Spring Upgrade? 1985 ATC250R

I believe the fork springs in my '85R are worn out.
    This is my TT trike. When I compare it to my other R, it feels soft and mushy.
    It isn't a matter of absorbing whoops or landing big jumps.
    My main concern is that it nose dives when I get on the brakes hard at the track.
    That is very unsettling to me, and literally unsettles my R, and it's going to land me on my face one of these days.

I just had new seals installed, so I am not interested in tearing them back apart.
    One thing I will do is put in heavier fork oil.
    But new springs should be as simple as unscrewing the top cap, pulling the old ones, and dropping new ones in.... right?

Where is my best place to shop for springs and what should I be looking for?
    I think 85 and 86 are different components. Is that true for aftermarket too? As in, will I be shopping for '85 only?

Pine Lake is exactly one month away!!!
    Thanks in advance, guys.

--
    I put new Progressive springs in my R forks. Seems to help with the dive issue.

I know that between 85 or 86, one of those years had dual springs in each fork and the other year had a single spring in each fork. I can't remember which was which right now. I had issues with the forks I ended up piecing together as far as what year they were advertised as so there was alot of initial confusion for me.... And it's been a rough past two days.

The Progressive set was about $100/pr and they fit 85R or 86R and also fit a couple of street bike models as well. They were easy to install, unscrew the fork caps, check oil level, install springs, screw caps back on.

As far as an overall review of the progressive springs, I can't say for certain which mod was the most effective..... The new springs or the damper rod mods I did inside the forks, so keep that in mind when deciding.

As for fork oil, I called RaceTech and purchased the fork oil that they recommended for this application. Stuff was expensive, but I'm sure they would know better than anyone

For $100 for the new springs, it's one of the cheaper R mods that probably has a noticeable benefit.

Your results may vary, of course

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ironchop; 06-16-2020 at 01:25 PM.

--
    Play with heavy weight fork oil too it will also help with hold up. In TT, FT it’s a cheap cheater way for the budget racer. Adding slugs/shims for preload can be done as well but not recommended for MX, or Hard off-road.
    Last edited by Tri-Z 250; 06-16-2020 at 02:48 PM.

--
    Just bought some SAE 40 at Tractor Supply.

--
    Maybe Progressive is my only option?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by keister View Post
    Maybe Progressive is my only option?
    Not really.

BUT

It's just your only option within the parameters you've set (don't want to take apart the forks again)

I'm not sure how involved the installment of RaceTech emulators are or if they can be installed without taking the forks all the way apart again. Maybe someone else had done it and would know better than me

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    I want emulators for my 350x so I've watched some videos on it. It will require a complete disassembly of the forks. You need to get at the damping rods and drill holes in them. You will also need a shorter spring. RaceTech will modify your current springs for $50, but if they are already worn out then that's probably not your best option. I thing the emulators would be a better choice for an MX bike since there's more of a concern for suspension travel. Heavier oil or stiffer springs may be your best bet.
    In the garage
    2007 Yamaha Tri-Z 450
    2017 YZ 250F
    2003 XR100 (son's)
    2005 Raptor 350 (other son's)

Gone but not forgotten
    86 350X
    16 WR 250R
    03 FZ1
    96 Katana 600
    89 XT350
    84 250R
    84 200X
    79 ATC 110
    74 ATC 90

250rAL is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    You can also put spacers in for practically nothing. It may not make the difference you're looking for though.
    36PJ Keihin
    K&N
    Boyesen reeds
    Magura hydraulic clutch
    Roost Boost
    MSR bars
    OMF swingarm skid
    ITP Beadlocks

Three Wheelin' Since '84

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //