//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 85 250r has no spark

--

85 250r has no spark

hello everyone. Tried to start my 250R. No spark. I've tried everything. Local shop won't look at it. I tested coil. No ideas. Please help. Thanks.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by longJohn View Post
    hello everyone. Tried to start my 250R. No spark. I've tried everything. Local shop won't look at it. I tested coil. No ideas. Please help. Thanks.
    please list what all you've already tried so we have an idea what not to suggest.

Areas of common problems

1) coil ground wire not connected property

2) wiring harness plug at the CDI has issues sometimes. Wiggle it and see if you gain spark

3) the handlebar switch gets corroded inside and will stop making a good connection for sending power to the CDI

Have you pulled the plug and physically looked for spark while you kick it?

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    I just went through this on mine and my neighbor helped me get it going, and if you don't know much about electrical, it could be difficult for you to find the problem on your own.

Did it ever run since you have had it, and if so, how long has it sat since then?

In addition to the things mentioned by ironchop, you should test all the circuits per the manual, but you can not test the cdi or the voltage regulator. The voltage regulator can have a reading of zero, which the manual states is bad, but it can still work properly. The cdi requires a special tester, so the only way to tell if it is bad is to install one from a running bike and try it once everything else has been eliminated.

You can eliminate the kill switch as a problem by just unplugging it.

Another thing we learned, is that if the headlight bulb and wiring is good, and the headlight does not come on momentarily when the bike is kicked over hard, the stator is bad, but this can be double checked with an ohm meter.

You can also check for voltage to the coil while the engine is being kicked over hard. If the headlight comes on and it has voltage to the coil, and the wiring is good, the most likely problem is the coil, or the cdi, or the spark plug boot not getting a good connection with the coli wire, or a bad connection to the cdi as was mentioned.

You can try cutting around 10 mm off of the coil wire then screwing the plug cap back in to eliminate that as a problem. You can also test the plug cap by unscrewing it and seeing if it has resistance but they seem to never go bad.

One more thing is that when you check it for spark, you should do it with the plug removed and with a new plug, and in a dark place, then have someone else kick it over HARD while you look for spark. Apparently these trikes don't generate nearly as much voltage as a tecate, because his tecates will make a bright blue spark by turning the engine over slowly by hand, so he thought my honda should do the same thing, and my problem ended up being that we just weren't kicking it over hard enough.

Here is a link to the original 85/86 250r manual.

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manual...vicemanual.pdf
    Last edited by rpeters; 06-25-2020 at 01:35 PM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //